LOR- WTF to Do

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
krad

LOR- WTF to Do

Postby krad » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:49 am

Hi all! Here's the sitch:

One LOR set is in and many have been sent to the schools. The second LOR is still missing. I originally asked the writer (important writer, my old boss at NASA) to mail them by the end of Oct. He contacted me Nov 9 to say that he would send them out ASAP because he had been out of the country. He said he would send them before he left the country again Nov 12.

LSAC still has nothing. I've called them twice and they said they show nothing received nor anything with issues that was sent back to my ex-boss.

WTF can I do? I've emailed and called my writer over the past week asking him to fax copies, to re-mail, and to let me know what day he actually mailed them on. I think he is out of the country, and I have gotten no response. I originally sent him a packet with envelopes addressed to LSAC and stamped...

I'm now debating asking someone else to write an additional LOR, but I have to ask them to do it in such short time and anyone I ask will not be as strongly connected to me as my ex-boss.

WTF would you do :shock: ?

jacob_c84

Re: LOR- WTF to Do

Postby jacob_c84 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:52 am

Sucks, but you have to get another writer and quick. A second best LOR is better than no LOR. If your Boss comes through then great if not oh well roll with it.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:59 am

get a second letter, if you're lucky the first one will appear and post before you have to use the backup, but otherwise you will drive yourself crazy and get nowhere...at least getting another one means taking some kind of action instead of just stressing out!!

i had a similar situation with my mail writer having a family situation take her away for weeks at a time right when i needed the letter....once i finally gave up on her and asked a backup to write a letter, she showed up that afternoon with a great letter and it all worked out. well, i haven't actually been accepted anywhere, but i got my applications submitted anyway!

good luck!

krad

Postby krad » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:14 am

Thanks guys, I figured this would be the consensus.

Now, on to figuring out who to ask... Thoughts?

1. One suggestion (from old colleague) was to ask one partner in my dad's firm that has known me since I was 3 and supervised me when I worked at the firm in high school. Is this too far removed? I still talk to her often.

2. Another is to try to get my ex-boss's colleague to write one. I worked with him at Oxford U, but not as closely as my boss. He doesn't travel abroad that often, so he might be a good bet?

I'd imagine that I can get quick turnaround on both of these and have them fax in addition to mailing.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:18 am

i vote for #2 only because the family connection might be seen as too far removed and too subjective due to the relationship with your father....and high school versus college experience - i think college wins.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”