Georgetown Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rmw308

New

Georgetown

Post by rmw308 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:49 pm

Because my previous post was a dead thread I will put this out to everyone else.

Am I better off applying to Georgetown PT Regular Decision today, or Georgetown PT Early Decision December 20th?

Mike12188

Silver

Re: Georgetown

Post by Mike12188 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:53 pm

Should we just guess your numbers?
Last edited by Mike12188 on Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:54 pm

rmw308 wrote:Because my previous post was a dead thread I will put this out to everyone else.

Am I better off applying to Georgetown PT Regular Decision today, or Georgetown PT Early Decision December 20th?
stats?

rmw308

New

Post by rmw308 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:00 pm

164, 3.65

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:10 pm

rmw308 wrote:164, 3.65
With those numbers, nothing will help you get into GULC PT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:14 pm

rmw308 wrote:164, 3.65
I'm sorry to tell you this, but I do not think you will not get into gulc pt regardless of whether you apply ED or RD with those numbers (unless you're a urm). Check out LSN acceptances from years past at gulc for applicants having 165 or lower lsat, they are all urms.
Last edited by hipstermafia on Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pureprotein

New

Post by pureprotein » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:18 pm

Minor thread hijack--

PT % chance with 167/3.82, average softs?

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:23 pm

pureprotein wrote:Minor thread hijack--

GULC is making some changes to the PT program, and there have been very few PT admits thus far in the cycle so it's really too early to tell what effect(s) those changes will have on admissions.

I say your chance is okay, but not great.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:25 pm

hipstermafia wrote:

GULC is making some changes to the PT program, and there have been very few PT admits thus far in the cycle so it's really too early to tell what effect(s) those changes will have on admissions.

What kind of changes? Shrinking the class, raising medians, requiring WE or a job?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pureprotein

New

Post by pureprotein » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:31 pm

im_blue wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:

What kind of changes? Shrinking the class, raising medians, requiring WE or a job?
If I'm not mistaken, PT GPA and LSAT numbers are now weighted in the US News school rankings. Now schools have a much greater incentive to be numbers-driven in their acceptances.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:37 pm

im_blue wrote: What kind of changes? Shrinking the class, raising medians, requiring WE or a job?
Maybe all of the above, or maybe none :D

I was at an info session with Dean Cornblatt a few weeks ago and he said the school is in the process of deciding exactly what changes to make to the pt program and that he just didn't know what was going to happen yet. He mentioned that they may be changing how easy it is to switch from pt to ft and vice versa, with the goal of people starting pt staying pt all four years.

GW's pt program seems to be that way as well (enter pt, stay pt). They cut the pt class in half when pt programs started being included in the rankings, and tend to favor applicants for the pt program that already have jobs in dc. As a result they have been able to keep the medians for the pt program the same (or so they say) as for the ft program. My guess is that gulc is trying to raise their PT numbers, maybe in the same way as gw did.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:16 am

pureprotein wrote:
im_blue wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, PT GPA and LSAT numbers are now weighted in the US News school rankings. Now schools have a much greater incentive to be numbers-driven in their acceptances.
Yes, but that happened 2 cycles ago, which means last year's cycle should have already seen some changes in response.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:19 am

hipstermafia wrote:
im_blue wrote: What kind of changes? Shrinking the class, raising medians, requiring WE or a job?
Maybe all of the above, or maybe none :D

I was at an info session with Dean Cornblatt a few weeks ago and he said the school is in the process of deciding exactly what changes to make to the pt program and that he just didn't know what was going to happen yet. He mentioned that they may be changing how easy it is to switch from pt to ft and vice versa, with the goal of people starting pt staying pt all four years.

GW's pt program seems to be that way as well (enter pt, stay pt). They cut the pt class in half when pt programs started being included in the rankings, and tend to favor applicants for the pt program that already have jobs in dc. As a result they have been able to keep the medians for the pt program the same (or so they say) as for the ft program. My guess is that gulc is trying to raise their PT numbers, maybe in the same way as gw did.
GW's medians for this year's entering class are 3.77/167 FT and 3.53/165 PT according to ABA data, so halving the PT class may have narrowed the FT-PT gap, but a sizable gap still remains. Perhaps a work in progress...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”