'C' or 'W'. Which is preferable Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Wade LeBosh

Bronze

'C' or 'W'. Which is preferable

Post by Wade LeBosh » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:10 pm

I just found out I missed the deadline for an exam in my computer class. This is a very simple class (focuses on PowerPoint, Word etc); so simple that I stupidly skipped class one day without checking to see if there was a test due. At this point if I get 100% on the last 2 tests I will get B. Assuming that won't happen I'm preparing for the worst a 'C'. Tonight at midnight is the last chance I have to withdraw.

As an AA male will this lone 'C' on my transcript matter for T14 schools (i.e. HYSCCN). I would just assume finish the class for the credit, but I don't want to risk making a gpa in the 3.4 range look even worse.

Thanks!
Last edited by Wade LeBosh on Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Diamond

Re: 'C' or 'W'. Which is preferable

Post by gdane » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:14 pm

As long as you dont have a lot of W's (over 3), I would take the W. However, if you can come away with a B stick with the class. I know you say it might be impossible, but if you can do it give it a shot. It's never good to withdraw. Granted, a C is worse since it will drag down your GPA, but you still dont want W's on your transcript.

Good luck!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:26 pm

Since you're asking this question, I'm assuming that you dont' have any W's on your transcript. A W is infinitely better than a C or even a B, especially since your 3.4 GPA can't afford to take any more hits.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:51 pm

im_blue wrote:Since you're asking this question, I'm assuming that you dont' have any W's on your transcript. A W is infinitely better than a C or even a B, especially since your 3.4 GPA can't afford to take any more hits.
There is no way to make up the test and have the absence to be non-punitive?

If not def. take a W.

Wade LeBosh

Bronze

Post by Wade LeBosh » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:
im_blue wrote:Since you're asking this question, I'm assuming that you dont' have any W's on your transcript. A W is infinitely better than a C or even a B, especially since your 3.4 GPA can't afford to take any more hits.
There is no way to make up the test and have the absence to be non-punitive?

If not def. take a W.
Thank you for the advice. The absence doesn't matter but there's no chance this guy will let me retake. I'm also reluctant to withdraw because I'm graduating early and dropping will effectively add another semester to my graduation date. I only have until midnight to decide too. I wish I could go back in time and go that damn class... Would a single 'C' really be that damaging on my transcript?

BTW, this is semi-off-topic but I know schools give URMs special consideration on LSAT, do they do the same for GPA? Thanks so much your advice is invaluable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:06 pm

Take the W.

URMs get a lot more leeway on LSAT than they do on GPA, and your GPA is already pretty low for the T6.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:08 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote:The absence doesn't matter but there's no chance this guy will let me retake. I'm also reluctant to withdraw because I'm graduating early and dropping will effectively add another semester to my graduation date.
So add another semester, and pad it with easy classes. That should give you the opportunity to pad your GPA even more. And don't skip any more classes.

Schools will take URMs who are below both medians, but they still look for the best numbers possible, and they're much more generous about overlooking low LSAT scores than they are about low GPAs. If you're talking about the difference between a 3.3 (if taking the C, plus your other grades this semester, push things down) and a 3.5 (assuming you get all A's from here on out, including another semester's worth in the spring) then yes, that can make a difference.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:00 pm

P>>>>>>W>>>>C. I P/F'ed a class as soon as it became clear to me that I would almost certainly get a C and didn't want to work to improve my GPA (major junioritis). Got a P and majorly bumped up my GPA with a slight bump to my cum.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”