How do you write a GPA addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gtrwanka

How do you write a GPA addendum?

Postby gtrwanka » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:00 pm

My father passed away during my sophomore year. I Obviously want to write an addendum but I'm not sure how to go about it. I've read on the forums so far to keep it simple. Also do I need to write about growth, adversity and blah blah blah or just keep it factual? Do I save that stuff and put it in an optional essay? I figured I would do the official, and optional about that experience and then do a short GPA addendum. Does that sound like a good plan?

MysticalWheel

Re: How do you write a GPA addendum?

Postby MysticalWheel » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:57 pm

Yes, that sounds like a good plan. Keep the addendum short, sweet, factual, and focused on factors beyond your control.

Sample addendum for your situation:

"My father's passing during my sophomore year in college was an emotionally overwhelming event that adversely interfered with my academic life. My performance during this period is unrepresentative of my intellectual aptitude and is in contrast with my improved marks that follow. Thank you for your consideration."

I think something along those lines will be fine, assuming, of course, that you really did improve your grades after your sophomore year.

MW

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”