I goofed off in undergrad.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hkgjohn

I goofed off in undergrad.

Postby hkgjohn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Now graduated and 30 y/o but I regret not studying harder or taking school more seriously. Really, my thought process was I'll get a degree for my folks, who wanted to see me graduate worse than I did but never really pushed me. My GPA was horrendous about 2.4. I'd like to think I'm a lot wiser now and have been considering a life's change. I had a successful business after school but that ran it's course and I want to go back. I've always been the type to want to help people out of trouble. I'm talking about defense, constitutional and consumer rights law. I have no inclination to make money. I really get my kicks helping people!

All this said, how can I make up for my prior indiscretions as a young undergrad? Should I go back to school and work on another bachelors (maybe poly sci.) to prove I'm worthy of a good law school or should I study for the LSAT and pray I do well and that some school out there will take me? I do want a good education, not half-assed. So I would like to prove my worth somehow to a good school.

Any ideas out there?

JazzOne

Re: I goofed off in undergrad.

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:42 pm

Your only option is 170+ on the LSAT. That's really the only way to make up for a GPA that low. A second bachelors will not help because LSAC will not factor in the newer grades.

canuck

Postby canuck » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:43 pm

Make the LSAT your life. Don't take the test until you are consistently scoring in the 170s. Your age and WE will convince some schools to overlook the GPA.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:44 pm

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:45 pm

I think it all depends on what your definition of "good school" is. If you pull off a good LSAT youll have a chance at a law school, but youre most likely going to be stuck in the region of that particular law school

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:46 pm

HowdyYall wrote:I think it all depends on what your definition of "good school" is. If you pull off a good LSAT youll have a chance at a law school, but youre most likely going to be stuck in the region of that particular law school

No chance at NU? No sarcasm, I really don't know.

Edit: Nevermind, pure speculation without LSAT score.
Last edited by JazzOne on Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:47 pm

Ace the LSAT, write a GPA addendum.

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:00 pm

JazzOne wrote:
HowdyYall wrote:I think it all depends on what your definition of "good school" is. If you pull off a good LSAT youll have a chance at a law school, but youre most likely going to be stuck in the region of that particular law school

http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

Yeah who knows, but OP would need a pretty high LSAT

hkgjohn

Postby hkgjohn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:34 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Do really well on the LSAT. Nothing is going to change your LSAC GPA now. You've got enough WE that it'll weaken the emphasis somewhat on your GPA.

You will, of course, want a GPA addendum.

Will the GPA addendum add pts if granted or is it just a note attached to the application? Thx!

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:36 pm

hkgjohn wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:Do really well on the LSAT. Nothing is going to change your LSAC GPA now. You've got enough WE that it'll weaken the emphasis somewhat on your GPA.

Will the GPA addendum add pts if granted or is it just a note attached to the application? Thx!

lol

Just a note

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:37 pm

HowdyYall wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

Yeah who knows, but OP would need a pretty high LSAT

Yeah, I think NU is out.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:41 pm

170+ ED to Northwestern.

Otherwise don't go to law school.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:29 pm

hkgjohn

Postby hkgjohn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:08 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
JazzOne wrote:
hkgjohn wrote:

lol

Just a note

Yup.

Okay, I'm a noob and jokes aside... what is the point of the addendum? This is literally day 1 for me in learning about the admissions process.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:35 pm

The addendum is just an additional piece of paper in your file for the admissions committee to read while they review.

Edit: sorry, I guess you wanted a bit more than that. It provides context for something (usually negative) in your application. So here, you'd be able to explain the factors that contributed to your GPA, and basically help shed some light on it for them. Admissions committees don't like unexplained "stuff" in your application - even if it's bad, it's better to not have an open question.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:50 pm

I was in the same situation. Graduated with a 2.6. LSAT = 170. I was accepted + scholarships in lotsa places.

LSAT LSAT LSAT.

To recap: you are going to have to get a really legit LSAT score to make LS worthwhile unless you have connections or money is not an issue for you. Short of a score that significantly offsets your GPA, you are going to be stuck not only at a regional school, but probably a the 2nd or 3rd school in line in the region. (or worse.)

Don't worry about your academic worth...just worry about that arbitrary number after "LSAT:"

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”