GPA/Probation Statement - What do you think?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Does this cover it?

It should work well
80%
Tear it to pieces and start again
20%

Total votes: 5

Nailjohnj

GPA/Probation Statement - What do you think?

Postby Nailjohnj » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:07 pm

Please tell me what you think. All criticisms are greatly appreciated!

Throughout my college career, I was responsible for paying my own tuition and the majority of my living expenses. When I moved to Charleston, South Carolina in the summer of 2004, I took a job as a front desk agent/ night auditor at a local hotel that required me to work 45 to 55 hours a week, with some shifts going from 11:00 PM – 7:00 AM, in order to be able to pay my expenses. During the exams of the spring semester in 2005, my relief work did not show up on time and I was late for the 8:00 AM exam of my “Politics of the European Union” class, for which I was not admitted and was promptly given an “F” for the exam and the class. This is what caused me to be placed on academic probation, which I successfully got off of the following semester. I realized that I had overextended myself as a student and needed to find more time to focus on my schoolwork, so in the spring of 2006 I transferred to a new department where I was able to work a more reasonable 40 hours a week with no late night shifts. I ultimately moved to a new hotel closer to school in May of 2007 where I was able to mold my work schedule around my course load and even take days off to prepare for tests.

My GPA during the year and a half (Fall 2004 – Spring 2006) that I was required to work 45 or more hours a week was 2.05, while the GPA during the other years (Fall 2003 – Spring 2004; Fall 2006 – Spring 2008) when I was able to work 40 hours or less was 3.14, culminating in my final semester with a 3.71 GPA and Distinguished Honors. I accomplished this despite taking the majority of my Economics major requirements and multiple honors level finance and economics classes over my final two years (Fall 2006 – Spring 2008). I hope the admissions committee will take this into consideration when reviewing my application to "X" School of Law.

bjc314

Re: GPA/Probation Statement - What do you think?

Postby bjc314 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:21 am

I think it's fine. You graduated with a respectable GPA, so it was obviously a fluke. The professor wouldn't let you make up the exam? I would have gone to the dean and raised hell.

Nailjohnj

Re: GPA/Probation Statement - What do you think?

Postby Nailjohnj » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:12 pm

Oh, I totally raised hell, but it was policy that if you showed up late for an exam then you were not admitted and that was that. That policy has since been changed, but that doesn't help me much. Maybe it doesn't seem like it, but my actual LSAC GPA is 2.88. Does this help explain it
?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”