For those with past "conduct" issues

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
agenthero

For those with past "conduct" issues

Postby agenthero » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm wondering (for a friend, of course) how you believe your cycle was affected by past conduct issues (arrests, citations, etc). My friend has been honest in the applications and, having checked Character and Fitness requirements, should have no problem as far as the Bar goes. The charges have been minor but serial in nature, and two of them led to a suspension from his/her university. Thanks for any help.

JakeL

Re: For those with past "conduct" issues

Postby JakeL » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:34 pm

Your friend isn't going to get in anywhere worth going.

shoop

Re: For those with past "conduct" issues

Postby shoop » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:52 pm

I applying in the current cycle, but based on what I've seen here and heard from adcomms at various admissions events, it's the "serial" and the "twice" that might pose a problem. It's one thing to do something once--even something pretty "major"--and then realize, "wow, that was really boneheaded of me and I need to get my shiat together." It's another to have a record that shows you do the same thing over and over again and seemingly expect different outcomes.

To do the same "minor" thing over and over and over and over again, to the point that you're kicked out of school TWICE, displays a lack of judgment and an inability to learn from one's mistakes, and these character shortcomings are probably going to be more concerning to the committee than the nature of the offenses themselves.

You(r friend) needs to do really well on the LSAT, add several safety schools to the list, and somehow write a conduct addendum that a) doesn't come off as total bullshit and b) convinces law schools why the string of transgressions has FINALLY ended. And then, of course, actually stop the string of transgressions.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”