AmeriCorps Application Fee Waivers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
careerchange2010

AmeriCorps Application Fee Waivers

Postby careerchange2010 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:22 pm

I am aware that Virginia will waive the application fee for AmeriCorps Members. What other Law Schools will waive the application fee for AmeriCorps Members?

RTFM

Re: AmeriCorps Application Fee Waivers

Postby RTFM » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:10 am

I got a bunch of TFA fee waivers and some of them required filling out forms that were general for TFA/AmeriCorps/Teaching Fellows etc. I know Berkeley was one that did for sure; I'll have to look back at the other ones.

If you look on the websites of the schools you want to apply to, they should have some info about it. You could also fill out individual school's need-based waivers (schools are generally much more lenient than LSAC) and specify that you did AmeriCorps.

Does AmeriCorps really have no information about that for you?

careerchange2010

Postby careerchange2010 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:56 pm

There was no information from AmeriCorps that I could find about the fee waivers. So far I have fee waivers for my AmeriCorps service from Virginia, North Carolina, and Pitt.

vaperera

Postby vaperera » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:16 pm

Boston U
Boston College
Northwestern
WUSTL
William and Mary
Notre Dame
Maryland

All gave me one...good luck!

vaperera

Postby vaperera » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:05 pm

GW, too

kaftka juice

Postby kaftka juice » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:49 pm

This is amazing news. I only knew of UVA.

Tag for next cycle.

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:18 pm

Last edited by jjlaw on Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

careerchange2010

Postby careerchange2010 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:53 pm

Yes... some institutions will waive the fee just because you were part of AmeriCorps, Teach for America, and Peace Corps at some point. I was part of AmeriCorps four years ago.

It sounds like you were able to qualify for the need-based waiver due to your current level of income as an AmeriCorps Member.

Perplexed Penguin

Postby Perplexed Penguin » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:44 pm

UVA, Notre Dame, BU, UConn, Santa Clara, and Syracuse have all given me fee waivers for being in AmeriCorps. Tulane and St. John's said no. BC, Fordham, and Northeastern want you to send them your W-2 forms and a paycheck stub. I sent all of them a general email saying that I looked on their website and could not find info about fee waivers for AmeriCorps, but that I knew some law schools offer them (UVA and BU) and wanted to know if they would to. I also included my letter of service as a pdf attachment. I plan on asking more schools, but I have to retake in December and I am waiting to see what schools I have a shot at.

theothertiffany

Postby theothertiffany » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:31 pm

This is my first post, but this is something I know A LOT about. Alright so this application cycle I've gotten 52 fee waivers for things other than my LSAT score. Getting an LSDAS fee waiver is the best and fastest way to go, but if you're under 24 good luck because they consider your parents' income YOUR income regardless of how you filed your taxes. If you are in this boat, like me, and claimed your own exemption last year then there is hope for a super cheap application cycle.

So I actually started doing research for this in August. I searched through the forums and found all the schools that waive application fees for everyone. I've listed them below

Automatic Application Fee Waivers
[list=]Washington and Lee
Hofstra Law
DePaul (in Chicago)
University of Arkansas
Baylor
George Mason
Brooklyn Law School
Case Western Reserve Law
William Mitchell College of law
University of Illinois- Urbana
Loyola University Chicago[/list]

There are some schools that specify that current Americorps members get a fee waiver, but most do not. Some schools have an application fee waiver form on their website but most do not. When in doubt, peruse the admissions FAQ section or do a search for the "fee waiver" at the law school's website.

If there is a form provided on the website, fill it out and send it in. Easy. Berkeley's has a little box for Americorps that you just check and send a certification letter and you're done. UC Davis also waives the application fee for Americorps but they don't mention it anywhere on their site which actually straight up says they don't give out fee waivers, but this in't true. Americorps, TFA, Peace Corps. etc. get fee waivers, all you have to do is ask for it.

Most schools will ask you for proof of income, last year's tax return, financial aid status at you undergrad and current expenses.

If they do offer fee waivers but there is no form, then e-mail the admissions office and ask about it. If there is no mention of application fee waivers anywhere on the site (make sure it really isn't on the site) then send an e-mail asking if there are any available. Make sure to mention:
You are inquiring about obtaining a need-based application fee waiver
If it was/wasn't mentioned on the official website
Which Americorps program you are working for, what their mission is, what you do there and a little about what Americorps is all about.
How much your subsistence allowance is per month and that other "income generating activities" are forbidden
And that paying the application fee would constitute a "significant financial hardship"

Make sure to attach a recent paystub and your certification letter.

I've been successful for almost every e-mail I've sent out. They'll respond by giving you the fee waiver, sending you a fee waiver form, request more info from you or say they don't give fee waivers to anyone except people with LSDAS fee waivers. I'll include the schools that responded as such now

NO Application Fee Waivers
    University of Hawaii
    UC Hastings
    University of Wisconson
    American University (DC)
    University of Washington
    University of Las Vegas
    Arizona State University
    University of Florida
    CUNY School of Law
    Gonzaga School of Law

But everyone else was more than happy to give me a fee waiver.
    Fordham Law School
    William and Mary
    The Ohio State (Moritz)
    University of the Pacific McGeorge
    University of San Francisco
    Loyola Law (Los Angeles)
    Seattle College of Law
    University of Virginia
    Southwestern Law School
    University of Minnesota
    University of San Diego
    Lewis and Clark
    University of Oregon
    Berkeley Boalt
    Boston University
    University of Indiana (Bloomington)
    George Washington University
    Temple University
    Boston College
    University of Georgia
    Washington University School of Law
    University of Iowa
    University of Arizona
    University of Denver Sturm
    Santa Clara University
    Northeastern
    Villanova University School of Law
    UCLA
    Rutgers University- Newark
    University of Colorado Boulder
    Seton Hall Law (NJ)
    Vermont Law School
    UC Davis
    Pepperdine
    University of Kentucky
    University of Buffalo
    University of Utah
    Yeshiva Cardozo

Pretty much every school gives out fee waivers-- you just have to ask for them and on an Americorps salary you should have no problem getting one. It's a lot more effort asking each school individually than getting a blanket LSDAS fee waiver but if you start early, it's definitely worth it. It's a little late now, but maybe someone will find this useful later.

ixwad

Postby ixwad » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:05 pm

^ Weird, Indiana didn't respond to my fee waiver request (current AmeriCorps, 165+, 3.5x), but the University of Washington gave me one.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:06 am

I am a bit confused with the information provided, are you able to ask for these fee waivers as an AmeriCorps Alum? I did NCCC in '08 and will not be applying until next cycle.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:18 am

I'm in Peace Corps, and I got fee waivers everywhere I applied. Some I had to fill out forms for; others I didn't.

Complete list on my LSN. http://lawschoolnumbers.com/eugeniedanglars

miazdc

Postby miazdc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:28 am

Similar to what others have said, I'm in AmeriCorps right now and applied to 15 schools for free. All I did was send an email to each school and ask (I didn't qualify for LSAC waiver because their system is idiotic). Some of the schools asked me to send them additional information or fill out a form, and others just handed a waiver over. The schools that I got waivers from are:

Northeastern
Michigan State
GW
Wisconsin
Temple
Pittsburgh
Minnesota
Penn State
Indiana

I just sent a letter to the general admissions email address explaining that I'm in AmeriCorps, money is tight, and that I'd like to inquire about the fee waiver process. Super easy.

Also, as a side note, Loyola Chicago gives an automatic $4,000 for the first year to anyone who has done AmeriCorps, as well as (I think) TFA and Peace Corps.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Does anyone have any information though about fee waivers for Alumni?

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:47 pm

JDndMSW wrote:Does anyone have any information though about fee waivers for Alumni?

bump for input and as a reference for others :)

tmon

Postby tmon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:54 pm

JDndMSW wrote:
JDndMSW wrote:Does anyone have any information though about fee waivers for Alumni?

Also interested in this!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:24 pm

tmon wrote:
JDndMSW wrote:

Also interested in this!

Y'all might want to start a new thread with a different title in order to attract the folks with the answer.

JDndMSW

Postby JDndMSW » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:53 pm

tmon wrote:
JDndMSW wrote:

Also interested in this!

Ya I saw today that you were an AmeriCorps Alum Tmon, I was gonna say something. I did NCCC though MUCH different.

tmon

Postby tmon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:58 pm

JDndMSW wrote:
tmon wrote:
JDndMSW wrote:

Also interested in this!

Ya I saw today that you were an AmeriCorps Alum Tmon, I was gonna say something. I did NCCC though MUCH different.

Sure. I did VISTA. But I figure for the purposes of admissions and fee waivers it's the same to the schools in name.

theothertiffany

Postby theothertiffany » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:26 am

Alright. So most of the schools I asked for a fee waiver from was due to the financial hardship of being on a VISTA living wage. Some schools had a form that included Americorps Alums up to a year after their service year but I think it'd be a lot more difficult to get fee waivers just on the basis of past Americorps participation without the super small living wage. But it never hurts to ask.

ajl17

Postby ajl17 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Bumping for 2013 - has anyone had progress on getting waivers for the Fall 2013 admissions cycle? Especially as an AmeriCorps alum (not currently serving)? Thanks.

barbados2012

Postby barbados2012 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:12 pm

I did AmeriCorp in 2008 and received a waiver from Penn (send in the form they have online with documentation).

barbados2012

Postby barbados2012 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:23 pm

I just received another fee waiver from BC. I emailed admissions and asked about being an AmeriCorps alum.

Noodlebrain

Postby Noodlebrain » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:56 pm

I'm a Peace Corps volunteer and received a waiver from everywhere south of Columbia (and I didn't ask Columbia because I thought they wouldn't give me one but in hindsight I think they would have). Then again, my numbers are also competitive everywhere, so it may not have been exclusively because of PC.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”