does study abroad count as an 'degree-granting' institution?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
agora139

does study abroad count as an 'degree-granting' institution?

Postby agora139 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:25 pm

i studied abroad my junior year with an american college but was in europe. do i count that institution as a degree granting institution?

Re: does study abroad count as an 'degree-granting' institution?

Postby 2014 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:16 pm

You only have one "degree-granting" institution. At the risk of sounding obvious, it is the institution that grants your degree, i.e. wherever your BA/BS came from.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:38 pm

Well... a degree-granting institution is merely one that grants degrees. It doesn't necessarily need to grant the OP a degree, in order to be a degree-granting institution.

I just watched episode 4 of season 3 of the X-Files. It was called Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose. Clyde was psychic who was able to determine how people were going to die, but he could not predict any other aspect of the future. I don't think he would have been able to help us solve this riddle.

Since the OP has not provided us with any context regarding his question, it is difficult to predict the precise nature of the answer he requires. I'm willing to venture a guess, however, that since studied abroad through a degree-granting institution, he will therefore need a transcript from said institution.

Hit or miss?

kazu

Postby kazu » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:42 pm

2014 wrote:You only have one "degree-granting" institution. At the risk of sounding obvious, it is the institution that grants your degree, i.e. wherever your BA/BS came from.

TITCR

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:48 pm

The rules on LSAC are pretty clear about whether or not you have to send transcripts from study abroad. Usually the answer is no, but it depends.
Although some schools require it anyway even if the LSAC doesn't.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:03 pm

agora139 wrote:i studied abroad my junior year with an american college but was in europe. do i count that institution as a degree granting institution?

He says he studied abroad through an American university. Unless that university was his ultimate degree-granting institution, he will need a separate transcript from them. He neither makes clear if that's the case, or if he's asking about transcripts at all.

agora139

Postby agora139 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:44 am

i resent the assumption that i'm a male...i'm not. :)

and i studied abroad through a separate institution than the one through which i will receive my undergraduate degree, and i've submitted the transcript...SOO do i count it as a 'degree granting institutions' on the common information form?

MrAdams

Postby MrAdams » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:10 am

I am noting my third year exchange school in the 'degree granting institution' section, with 'exchange' in the degree column.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:30 am

bostonian wrote:The rules on LSAC are pretty clear about whether or not you have to send transcripts from study abroad. Usually the answer is no, but it depends.

I found LSAC to be completely unhelpful with this. I studied abroad, and I was unsure if I needed to send in a transcript since it was only for one semester. My college did not note our grades from the semester in our GPA either, and since I did well, I thought I should send in my transcript just in case. I called LSAC twice and the two people I spoke with told me conflicting things - one told me to send it in, and the other told me it was not necessary. I decided to send it in just to be safe, and it is noted as an extra transcript in my file. I did not put study abroad as a degree granting institution, but it is clear that I did it through my resume and my transcript.

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:03 am

ilovesf wrote:
bostonian wrote:The rules on LSAC are pretty clear about whether or not you have to send transcripts from study abroad. Usually the answer is no, but it depends.

I found LSAC to be completely unhelpful with this. I studied abroad, and I was unsure if I needed to send in a transcript since it was only for one semester. My college did not note our grades from the semester in our GPA either, and since I did well, I thought I should send in my transcript just in case. I called LSAC twice and the two people I spoke with told me conflicting things - one told me to send it in, and the other told me it was not necessary. I decided to send it in just to be safe, and it is noted as an extra transcript in my file. I did not put study abroad as a degree granting institution, but it is clear that I did it through my resume and my transcript.

--LinkRemoved--
I studied abroad for a year and didn't send my transcript. No one had a problem with it except Columbia.

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:06 am

bostonian wrote:--LinkRemoved--
I studied abroad for a year and didn't send my transcript. No one had a problem with it except Columbia.

What happened with Columbia - if you don't mind sharing?

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:11 am

kazu wrote:

Yeah sure. They just sent me an email saying my application was "incomplete" and they needed a copy of my study abroad transcript.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:17 am

I have already read that and also thought it was straight forward. However, a friend of mine from my study abroad program who is also applying to schools told me that her pre-law advisor told her to request a transcript. That was when I thought I would call LSAC to confirm, and they told me I should send one, even though I brought up that their website says I need not. I just decided that it's better to be safe than sorry in the end.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:20 am

I also think it is a question of whether your grades are reflected in your transcript or not. In my case, there were no grades present, just a signal that I received credit. I also wanted schools to see that I got good grades while abroad.

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:23 am

bostonian wrote:
kazu wrote:

Yeah sure. They just sent me an email saying my application was "incomplete" and they needed a copy of my study abroad transcript.

Thanks for sharing :) Interesting, I went complete at Columbia this year w/o it. Maybe it's because all of my study abroad grades are stated clearly on my home university transcript?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:04 pm

I don't understand the hesistance to submit study abroad transcripts- I got a decently large boost in my GPA from submitting my 4.0 from abroad.

On the topic at hand: I listed my program in degree granting institutions, with a major in the language I was studying, but without a degree or graduation date. I felt the name of the program made it abundantly clear I was not in America, and thus abroad. My transcripts also make that obvious.

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:24 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:I don't understand the hesistance to submit study abroad transcripts- I got a decently large boost in my GPA from submitting my 4.0 from abroad.

On the topic at hand: I listed my program in degree granting institutions, with a major in the language I was studying, but without a degree or graduation date. I felt the name of the program made it abundantly clear I was not in America, and thus abroad. My transcripts also make that obvious.

Because my study abroad grades were really shitty. I knew it wouldn't affect my UG GPA, so I spent most of my time drinking.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:38 pm

ahduth wrote:.

I just watched episode 4 of season 3 of the X-Files. It was called Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose. Clyde was psychic who was able to determine how people were going to die, but he could not predict any other aspect of the future. I don't think he would have been able to help us solve this riddle.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:58 pm

bostonian wrote:Because my study abroad grades were really shitty. I knew it wouldn't affect my UG GPA, so I spent most of my time drinking.

Ugh. Mine were really shitty too, but partly because French universities are vicious graders and partly because my French wasn't totally fluent. Outside of that study abroad semester I got only a single grade that wasn't an 'A', and my UGPA would be north of 3.9.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat though, Paris is win. Law school application fee? 80 dollars. Post-graduation debt load? 200,000 dollars. Waking up every morning to the smell of bread, freshly baked in the boulangerie beneath your apartment? Priceless.

bostonian

Postby bostonian » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:04 pm

ahduth wrote:
bostonian wrote:Because my study abroad grades were really shitty. I knew it wouldn't affect my UG GPA, so I spent most of my time drinking.

Ugh. Mine were really shitty too, but partly because French universities are vicious graders and partly because my French wasn't totally fluent. Outside of that study abroad semester I got only a single grade that wasn't an 'A', and my UGPA would be north of 3.9.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat though, Paris is win. Law school application fee? 80 dollars. Post-graduation debt load? 200,000 dollars. Waking up every morning to the smell of bread, freshly baked in the boulangerie beneath your apartment? Priceless.

This.
Except I was in London. So the food's not as good as Paris, but the beer is way better. :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”