drinking violation Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
northwood

Platinum

drinking violation

Post by northwood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:24 pm

is being caught underage with alcohol ( freshman year) considerd an honor code violation, or just a college disciplinary measure. I had to take an online class, but am deciding if i have to check yes for 1 of these 2 choices, or both? thanks!

bdubs

Gold

Re: drinking violation

Post by bdubs » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:43 pm

northwood wrote:is being caught underage with alcohol ( freshman year) considerd an honor code violation, or just a college disciplinary measure. I had to take an online class, but am deciding if i have to check yes for 1 of these 2 choices, or both? thanks!
Disclose. I think that the adcomms see hundreds of these each year and as long as the addenda aren't flippant they generally ignore them.

Edit: Misinterpreted the question. I would ask your school's disciplinary body for a copy of your disciplinary record. It will list whatever violations there are, you should refer to the language to decide if it is an honor code violation or not.
Last edited by bdubs on Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:48 pm

bdubs wrote:
northwood wrote:is being caught underage with alcohol ( freshman year) considerd an honor code violation, or just a college disciplinary measure. I had to take an online class, but am deciding if i have to check yes for 1 of these 2 choices, or both? thanks!
Disclose. I think that the adcomms see hundreds of these each year and as long as the addenda aren't flippant they generally ignore them.
I am pretty sure he (or she) said they know they need to disclose. The question was whether it was an honor code violation or a disciplinary measure. I can't answer the question, OP, because it really depends on your school's policies. Your Dean of Student Affairs (or similar position) should be able to answer your question.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:02 pm

i know i have to disclose, but am trying to figure out where it goes?

heres the actual applicaiton questions

question 5: Have you ever been accused of violating an honor code or code of conduct, at an academic institution or place of employment?

question 6: Havre you ever been dismissed, suspended, or otherwise disciplined by any college, graduate school, or professional school?

im thinking i have to say yes for both- but can use 1 explinition ( its the same thing)

ajcollege

New

Post by ajcollege » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:17 pm

The assumption, of course, being that your UG has an honor code? If alcohol is expressly forbidden in the HC or in the related policies, then you should disclose as an honor code violation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:29 pm

northwood wrote:i know i have to disclose, but am trying to figure out where it goes?

heres the actual applicaiton questions

question 5: Have you ever been accused of violating an honor code or code of conduct, at an academic institution or place of employment?

question 6: Havre you ever been dismissed, suspended, or otherwise disciplined by any college, graduate school, or professional school?

im thinking i have to say yes for both- but can use 1 explinition ( its the same thing)
Ask a university official at your school. At my UG I believe the honor code referred to something you signed on every test stating you didn't receive or give assistance to or from another individual. It basically requires you to promise you didn't cheat. I'm not sure if it's the same at your UG. You should just ask a university official. My guess is that question six is affirmative and question five is not.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Damn, all my apps are in and I totally forgot about an incident years ago. My friend was caught in possession of alcohol and everyone present (in his dorm) also got ... in trouble? Except there was no punishment as it was my first offense, and I'm not sure if it was written up or not. Anyway, ridiculous as it is, might it come back to haunt me later?

Silly. This is worse than running for office.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:45 pm

Probably not an honor code violation. Also, my school throws out any record of minor violations (and even some major ones) after a period of time. You should check with your school because a lot probably do this so 1 alcohol violation doesn't hurt you in situations like this. Whether you choose to disclose or not if it is no longer on your record is up to you but I would err on the side of caution.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:11 pm

You are reading the first question too narrowly. "Honor code violation or code of conduct.

A drinking violation is almost certainly a violation of the code of conduct which is included in #1. Yes to both.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:15 pm

Honestly, I really don't think it matters that much. Just chose one and include the addendum.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:21 pm

the funny thing about all of this, is its really a minor event, and my UG did not put it on my official transcript. Id rather disclose it and be done with it.

grrrstick

Bronze

Post by grrrstick » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:32 pm

RPK34 wrote:Honestly, I really don't think it matters that much. Just chose one and include the addendum.
titcr. This is a non-issue. The only thing that even might affect your chances of getting in somewhere are crimes that would raise issues in C&F later (multiple DUIs, fraud, felonies) or major plagiarism. Just write a two sentence addendum stating just the facts and don't say you didn't do any thing wrong.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 pm

thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:39 pm

grrrstick wrote:
RPK34 wrote:Honestly, I really don't think it matters that much. Just chose one and include the addendum.
titcr. This is a non-issue. The only thing that even might affect your chances of getting in somewhere are crimes that would raise issues in C&F later (multiple DUIs, fraud, felonies) or major plagiarism. Just write a two sentence addendum stating just the facts and don't say you didn't do any thing wrong.
I wouldn't do that. Admissions officers expect that you own up to your mistakes. If you violated the policy, then admit that you violated the policy and say that you learned your lesson (i.e. didn't do it again). Saying that you were right and the policy is wrong is not the correct approach IMO.

Edit: RC fail, i seem to be full of them today.
Last edited by bdubs on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grrrstick

Bronze

Post by grrrstick » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:46 pm

bdubs wrote:
grrrstick wrote:
I wouldn't do that. Admissions officers expect that you own up to your mistakes. If you violated the policy, then admit that you violated the policy and say that you learned your lesson (i.e. didn't do it again). Saying that you were right and the policy is wrong is not the correct approach IMO.
Right. Sorry, I used a double negative above and wasn't clear. I meant that you shouldn't argue with the charge. I would simply have the facts, but if you want to add more, the only acceptable thing to say is that 1. You regret what you did and 2. It didn't happen again.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:49 pm

got it. thanks

by the way, i actually understand the reasoning behind it... the school is known for having too many freshman get a.p, or end up doing stupid things and having to go to the hospital or the pokey for the night..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”