(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
boat343

Postby boat343 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Any well informed advice on this would be greatly appreciated. 150 on the LSAT.

I know this is beyond a terrible score, but I'm over the LSAT and am trying to just go to law school now. I could care less about a T-14 (although my professors are insisting I apply due to my background and personal statement). I do have a 3.8 gpa. I have amazing letters of recommendation. I was a medic with the Marines and a two time Iraq war vet. As well, worked to develop the current Combat Trauma Management course being utilized now by 1st Marine Division. Also, the first generation college student card.

Ok, there is my "I love me" story. Now, just wondering if I could reach for some tier-two schools, or, is that going to be me just giving them 60 bucks to apply? I would actually really want to get into Chapman. But, even for a tier 3 it seems they're range is 156-158.

bk1

Re: 150.

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:17 pm

Don't let your own stubbornness and impatience dictate what happens here. For example's sake, it would be a lot better to be a T1 graduate in 2015 than a T3 graduate in 2014. At least try to retake the LSAT.
Last edited by bk1 on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc.

Postby jasonc. » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:20 pm

why not apply for the schools you want.ASK FOR FEE WAIVERS

Flett

Postby Flett » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:25 pm

boat343 wrote:Any well informed advice on this would be greatly appreciated. 150 on the LSAT.

I know this is beyond a terrible score, but I'm over the LSAT and am trying to just go to law school now. I could care less about a T-14 (although my professors are insisting I apply due to my background and personal statement). I do have a 3.8 gpa. I have amazing letters of recommendation. I was a medic with the Marines and a two time Iraq war vet. As well, worked to develop the current Combat Trauma Management course being utilized now by 1st Marine Division. Also, the first generation college student card.

Ok, there is my "I love me" story. Now, just wondering if I could reach for some tier-two schools, or, is that going to be me just giving them 60 bucks to apply? I would actually really want to get into Chapman. But, even for a tier 3 it seems they're range is 156-158.

I don't have any useful advice, but I do thank you for your service and wish you luck.

canuck

Postby canuck » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:56 pm

I normally hate the "retake" advice. It's given way too much on this site. That said, your GPA tells me that you can do better on the LSAT. Have you really maxed out your potential? I think you'd be a great candidate if you could get up into the 160s. Without that LSAT, you are pretty much Berkeley's wet-dream.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:58 pm

I also hate saying "retake" but you will be hurting yourself so much by applying with a 150. A 150 shows that there is a substantial amount of material on the LSAT that you have yet to learn. Don't short-change yourself like that.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:59 pm

What was your study schedule like for the LSAT? I don't know why you want to settle for TTT when you have a good GPA and stellar softs.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:00 pm

boat343 wrote:Any well informed advice on this would be greatly appreciated. 150 on the LSAT.

This will just be something you don't want to do that you have to do. You will not get into a law school worth going to with an lsat that is several points below the national average.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:01 pm

id say take the test again. you have a fantastic gpa, and good softs ( 2 combat tours, saving lives, and serving out country with honor and dignity- thank you by the way). I'll be rooting for you, especially when you get a score higher than now and are offered scholarships plus living expenses.

Study for the june test. use the bibles and pts, and you will see that score increase.

best of luck!

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:01 pm

naterj wrote:What was your study schedule like for the LSAT? I don't know why you want to settle for TTT when you have a good GPA and stellar softs.

+1. Also, retake.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:02 pm

naterj wrote:What was your study schedule like for the LSAT? I don't know why you want to settle for TTT when you have a good GPA and stellar softs.

+1

Your app has so much Y,S,B soft potential. Just beat this test so you can go to a good school.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:26 pm

I never hate saying retake and it is frankly not said enough.

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:40 pm

bk1 wrote:I never hate saying retake and it is frankly not said enough.

word

MTal

Postby MTal » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:49 pm

Why do you want to enter a profession where the initial requirements peg your ability as being literally below average?

boat343

Postby boat343 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:56 am

MTal wrote:Why do you want to enter a profession where the initial requirements peg your ability as being literally below average?

I sincerely thank you for your concern and in taking the time to write. However, if I ever adopt that attitude I will go ahead and advise my closest friends to rid me of this world. I probably choose to continue because I have no doubt I can excel at any law school, and have the intestinal fortitude to continue regardless of what a standardized test consisting of 101 multiple choice questions tells me I am capable of.

If you watch football (which I'm wildly guessing you don't) you would see many athletes becoming great in spite of poor performance measures--such as the 40 yard dash. These tests more accurately gauge the ability to succeed in the football more so than does the LSAT at gauging success in the legal profession. And, personally, I wouldn't want a lawyer, doctor, or anybody fighting for me that says "not looking good. Less than average odds. Better tuck-tail and cut our losses."

boat343

Postby boat343 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:59 am

Thank you everybody for the advice. I will probably suck-it-up and retake the thing. Good luck to everyone.

Flett, thank you, I appreciate that.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:12 am

boat343 wrote:
MTal wrote:Why do you want to enter a profession where the initial requirements peg your ability as being literally below average?

I sincerely thank you for your concern and in taking the time to write. However, if I ever adopt that attitude I will go ahead and advise my closest friends to rid me of this world. I probably choose to continue because I have no doubt I can excel at any law school, and have the intestinal fortitude to continue regardless of what a standardized test consisting of 101 multiple choice questions tells me I am capable of.

If you watch football (which I'm wildly guessing you don't) you would see many athletes becoming great in spite of poor performance measures--such as the 40 yard dash. These tests more accurately gauge the ability to succeed in the football more so than does the LSAT at gauging success in the legal profession. And, personally, I wouldn't want a lawyer, doctor, or anybody fighting for me that says "not looking good. Less than average odds. Better tuck-tail and cut our losses."

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:53 am

boat343 wrote:

Mtal = law school dropout. He claims to be a "broker." I sincerely hope SEC nails him one day and bars him from the securities industry for life. If fact, I would love to do it myself.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:00 am

boat343 wrote:Thank you everybody for the advice. I will probably suck-it-up and retake the thing. Good luck to everyone.

Flett, thank you, I appreciate that.

You're doing the right thing. You have so many things going in your favor at this point that many of us others would kill for. A stronger LSAT would make you competitive virtually anywhere.

You owe it to yourself to give it another shot. I know it's not fun to go through it again, but I'm sure you can handle it. You'll be glad that you did.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:04 am

I'll join the retake chorus. While your attitude about not caring what the test says is admirable, it is basically the most important factor in your law school admission.

What scores were you getting on your practice tests?

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:10 am

Thank you for your service.

Head on over to the LSAT Prep and Discussion forum and look through this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657 Read it a few times.

Set aside 3-4 months of your life to dedicate to studying 2-4 hours five/six days a week.

Take the June test. Perfect your personal statement. Submit application to Yale/Harvard/wherever the hell you want to go the day they open. Enjoy your three years there.

Profit immensely for the rest of your life.

boat343

Postby boat343 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:30 am

ahduth wrote:I'll join the retake chorus. While your attitude about not caring what the test says is admirable, it is basically the most important factor in your law school admission.

What scores were you getting on your practice tests?

Yea, it definitely is the single most important factor. I actually wish I would have studied less and just practiced for the LSAT. I would trade down to a 3.3 for a 160.

I only studied for about a little over a month. I took the Kaplan course and diaged at 146 and only went down, dipping into the 130s. Then I just studied on my own with practice problems and all of the sudden started getting 19-20 right everytime on LR. Problem was I only practiced LG like a week by myself and tried using Kaplan's wild methods on the test and literally got through 8-10 problems in that section.

I feel like I can approve significantly, but I feel that I may have a ceiling of around 157-59.

boat343

Postby boat343 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:37 am

CMDantes wrote:Thank you for your service.

Head on over to the LSAT Prep and Discussion forum and look through this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657 Read it a few times.

Set aside 3-4 months of your life to dedicate to studying 2-4 hours five/six days a week.

Take the June test. Perfect your personal statement. Submit application to Yale/Harvard/wherever the hell you want to go the day they open. Enjoy your three years there.

Thank you CMDantes! I am gonna do that. Definitely should have gave 4 months to prep--it is a very doable test. And would give anything to go to the school with that seal under your name.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:42 am

boat343 wrote:
CMDantes wrote:Thank you for your service.

Thank you CMDantes! I am gonna do that. Definitely should have gave 4 months to prep--it is a very doable test. And would give anything to go to the school with that seal under your name.

No problem man, you deserve a good school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”