Applying to TFA- Mention in apps?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Applying to TFA- Mention in apps?

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:59 pm

Should I/can I mention that I'm in the interview process with TFA right now?
Will it hurt me?
It definitely fits in very well with my interests, but I don't want to be denied, because they're betting I might just apply again later...
Could it even be helpful, since it shows a true dedication to the area of law I'm interested in?

Re: Applying to TFA- Mention in apps?

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:06 pm

I'm confused. You're applying to TFA and law school simultaneously?

Postby lzyovrachievr » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:36 pm

Well if she doesn't get TFA, she might not like to be a year behind on law school. (I applied for Fulbright.)

Postby arism87 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:43 pm

It makes sense to do both, as TFA's selection process seems a little.. strange. However, I don't know that I would mention it. Like you said, if they already know you will likely defer, why admit you now? The only reason you'd attend is if you were rejected by TFA-- and then they'd potentially wonder why?

If you DON'T need TFA to get in, you will get in without mentioning it and can defer admission.

If you TFA DOES help you get in by showing your dedication a (not sure it will, but if that's what we're thinking)-- then you can reapply with information on that experience later. Applying isn't very impressive!!

BTW, I'm in my second year with TFA right now-- feel free to PM with any questions about the interview process/experience in general!

Postby bk1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:48 pm

I wouldn't mention it. It sounds douchey and retarded to say it if you don't have it (even if you've made it through several interview stages, I don't know how the TFA app works, considering you could get rejected at any point). On top of that, I doubt that saying you might get into TFA will seriously change your chances.

Postby DorianGray89 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:59 pm

I have a friend who is doing the same and is not mentioning it on her apps, it may hurt your chances since if you get it you'll defer (most likely). It's like saying, i really want to go, but I'm going to defer, even before you get in.

Postby capitalacq » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:06 pm

lol no

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”