3.9/163 - EDing Reaches- Is submitting "Why X" a good idea?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
treeborn

3.9/163 - EDing Reaches- Is submitting "Why X" a good idea?

Postby treeborn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:23 pm

I'm planning on applying ED to Michigan, then ED to UVA if I don't get in Michigan. Is submitting genuine "Why X" statements for each school a fruitful effort?

Thanks.

plenipotentiary

Re: 3.9/163 - EDing Reaches- Is submitting "Why X" a good idea?

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 pm

It won't hurt, but it probably won't help. You've already declared your love for them by applying ED. You'd be gilding the lily.

treeborn

Postby treeborn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:26 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:It won't hurt, but it probably won't help. You've already declared your love for them by applying ED. You'd be gilding the lily.

Okay. Thanks for your advice. What would you say my chances are at either school, assuming they really like my personal statement, LORs and softs?

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:26 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:It won't hurt, but it probably won't help. You've already declared your love for them by applying ED. You'd be gilding the lily.

This. ED is the strongest "Why X" you can say; they already know you'll commit to going there, there's nothing left to improve your odds beyond that.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:29 pm

vanwinkle wrote:

This. ED is the strongest "Why X" you can say; they already know you'll commit to going there, there's nothing left to improve your odds beyond that.

Cure cancer.

treeborn

Postby treeborn » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:00 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

Cure cancer.

Cute.

Thanks all for your help, suppose it's not worth it.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:48 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Cure cancer.

That's just a soft, though, not a part of a "Why X" (unless you're saying you want to pursue a joint JD/PhD on their campus to continue your research).

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:50 am

I thought if your numbers are very sub par, a "why me" is more powerful than "why x". Yale specifically tells us that they don't want to hear about "why Yale". Well apparently if the school is a reach, there is probably no reason to explain why because everyone knows why you are reaching.

ziggie

Postby ziggie » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:01 am

r6_philly wrote:I thought if your numbers are very sub par, a "why me" is more powerful than "why x". Yale specifically tells us that they don't want to hear about "why Yale". Well apparently if the school is a reach, there is probably no reason to explain why because everyone knows why you are reaching.

I ED'd to Michigan and wrote a Why X, but philly has the right idea, I made sure to mention how I would be a good fit for them. I guess it ended up being sort of a Why MeChigan :)

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:07 am

Ditto, I ED'd and also wrote a Why Mich essay, but it was mostly about the great experience that I had with the people there when I visited and how I thought I'd fit in. I figured it would help my numbers some if I showed that I would be a good fit for the community, as opposed to a more academic-based "why" essay

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:13 am

Last year I wrote about how Michigan would help me in my professional pursuits, how it's strengths in reputation, alumni network, national reach can all help me after graduation. I didn't write about academics at all. I was accepted even though I applied at deadline. I was waitlisted everywhere else. I think my Why Michigan had a lot to do with it.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:25 am

r6_philly wrote:Last year I wrote about how Michigan would help me in my professional pursuits, how it's strengths in reputation, alumni network, national reach can all help me after graduation. I didn't write about academics at all. I was accepted even though I applied at deadline. I was waitlisted everywhere else. I think my Why Michigan had a lot to do with it.

Did you apply with those stats in profile? If so I would say your numbers probably played a much greater role!

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:27 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Last year I wrote about how Michigan would help me in my professional pursuits, how it's strengths in reputation, alumni network, national reach can all help me after graduation. I didn't write about academics at all. I was accepted even though I applied at deadline. I was waitlisted everywhere else. I think my Why Michigan had a lot to do with it.

Did you apply with those stats in profile? If so I would say your numbers probably played a much greater role!

163 3.8? the Ed helped i would think

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:32 am

whymeohgodno wrote:

170/3.88 but my file was not complete until late March. I got waitlisted by every other T14 being so late. Dean Zearfoss told me that I was the last one she admitted (day of the ASW). I don't think my number was of much use at that point (or I would have gotten at least one other). Several people with slightly better numbers was waitlisted on the same day.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:34 am

r6_philly wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

170/3.88 but my file was not complete until late March. I got waitlisted by every other T14 being so late. Dean Zearfoss told me that I was the last one she admitted (day of the ASW). I don't think my number was of much use at that point (or I would have gotten at least one other). Several people with slightly better numbers was waitlisted on the same day.

Well I think your case is completely different to OP's because you have numbers (and URM status?) that made you an auto admit candidate applying late while OP is a splitter applying early.

I agree though that it can't hurt to put in a little more effort.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:41 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:

Well I think your case is completely different to OP's because you have numbers (and URM status?) that made you an auto admit candidate applying late while OP is a splitter applying early.

I agree though that it can't hurt to put in a little more effort.

I'm ORM. I didn't get in Duke, UVA, Cornell, Georgetown, W&M. Priority reserve at most.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:43 am

I'm ORM

Oh - Asian?

You would have been a shoo in with those numbers anyways!

HowdyYall

Postby HowdyYall » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:45 am

is a why duke worth it? (im not doing a DS)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:45 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
I'm ORM

Oh - Asian?

You would have been a shoo in with those numbers anyways!

See above, priority reserve at others where didn't write a letter. I have a write a different letter this year, I have to explain my withdraw last year and why they should pick me this year, so I have been dragging my feet even though I was told it won't be held against me.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:46 am

HowdyYall wrote:is a why duke worth it? (im not doing a DS)

If your number is not super strong, yes. Actually if I wrote one I probably would have gotten in already. I have been under review for maybe 4 weeks. I sense a priority reserve! Again! 8)

treeborn

Postby treeborn » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:11 pm

I think I'm going to do this, it's one of their optional essay topics-- how Michigan can play into my post career options.

Thanks for the advice!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:50 pm

I'm within Michigan's numbers 3.93 / 168 and I applied ED and wrote a why Michigan essay. You just have to show how Michigan's goals match your own. I talked about wanting an academic career and the programs Michigan has that will help me out with that if I can earn high enough grades. Plus stroking a school's ego cannot hurt.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”