Law Decisions via Email - Declining respect for us?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
HopefulFish

Law Decisions via Email - Declining respect for us?

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:10 pm

I can totally see cutting costs, expedience, and going green thing regarding usage of paper, but decisions via Email... really?

The process of applying and reviewing electronically makes perfect sense, but I feel like over time the applicants are treated as no more than just numbers. Don't we deserve at least a letter in a stamped envelope? It's not like they're giving us a break in increasing application fees. It totally loses the professional and personal touch to this arduous process. What do yall think?

swc65

Re: Law Decisions via Email - Declining respect for us?

Postby swc65 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:12 pm

So you would rather see "Decision Mailed" online and then bite your nails for the next 3-5 days for the school you have waited your entire life to get into? Also, a lot of schools email then follow up with snail-mail.

canuck

Postby canuck » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:13 pm

I actually prefer the emails, but that is likely because I am excessively paranoid and impatient. Snail mail takes too long and runs a high risk of getting lost or damaged.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:14 pm

swc65 wrote:So you would rather see "Decision Mailed" online and then bite your nails for the next 3-5 days for the school you have waited your entire life to get into? Also, a lot of schools email then follow up with snail-mail.

I prefer email too. Welcome to the 21st century OP.

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:14 pm

swc65 wrote:So you would rather see "Decision Mailed" online and then bite your nails for the next 3-5 days for the school you have waited your entire life to get into? Also, a lot of schools email then follow up with snail-mail.

Answer to your question is already implied in my OP.

But what about for everyone else?

HopefulFish

Postby HopefulFish » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:16 pm

canuck wrote:I actually prefer the emails, but that is likely because I am excessively paranoid and impatient. Snail mail takes too long and runs a high risk of getting lost or damaged.

I'm sure that's how most of us feel. But do you get my point?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:17 pm

HopefulFish wrote:I can totally see cutting costs, expedience, and going green thing regarding usage of paper, but decisions via Email... really?

The process of applying and reviewing electronically makes perfect sense, but I feel like over time the applicants are treated as no more than just numbers. Don't we deserve at least a letter in a stamped envelope? It's not like they're giving us a break in increasing application fees. It totally loses the professional and personal touch to this arduous process. What do yall think?

Arduous process? Law apps are insanely easy. Take the LSAT, throw it all together, use basically the same PS, maybe throw in a couple of extra essays, and submit online. It's insanely easy.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:18 pm

I don't understand the problem.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:18 pm

Email is much better I think. Nice and quick and it saves trees.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:19 pm

Does a rejection feel any better if it's through snail mail than through email?

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:26 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Does a rejection feel any better if it's through snail mail than through email?

not really.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:29 pm

HopefulFish wrote:I can totally see cutting costs, expedience, and going green thing regarding usage of paper, but decisions via Email... really?

Apparently you can't "totally see" it.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:36 pm

What makes you think that you were ever more than a number?

Yah, I know, we're all special snowflakes. I demand needless spending during a recession and wasting paper so that I can be rejected more slowly because then I'll feel more respected.
Last edited by acrossthelake on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:39 pm

OP needs to remove stick from ass.

etown989

Postby etown989 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:45 pm

OP is solo on this point it seems

kiniru

Postby kiniru » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:04 pm

I'm pretty sure sending the exact same rejection letter to tons of people is so personal....

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:06 pm

etown989 wrote:OP is solo on this point it seems

Wrong, I'm with the OP here. I'd actually like singing telegrams.

"We've reviewed your file,
And it made us smile!
But it's sadly found,
The rejection pile."

And then they hand you some flowers and a teddy bear with a frowny face or something.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:08 pm

ahduth wrote:

And it made us smile!
But it's sadly found,
The rejection pile."

And then they hand you some flowers and a teddy bear with a frowny face or something.

LOL'd

calvmpv

Postby calvmpv » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:17 pm

ahduth wrote:

And it made us smile!
But it's sadly found,
The rejection pile."

jajajajaja when i read this i imagined a (friendly) howler from Harry Potter

Korey

Postby Korey » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:18 pm

:mrgreen: I agree with the OP that something as important as an acceptance/denial deserves a nice envelope/etc. Nothing against email or anything, just seems lame to get it that way.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:28 pm

The singing telegram is fraught with its own perils.

username99 wrote:
username99 wrote:
username99 wrote:
username99 wrote:This morning I called a singing telegram company in my hometown, DC. I gave them a special request. I changed the email address on my lsac thing to a new one and gave onle the telegram company access to it. So as soon as the score is emailed to me, they will receive it first and send a singing clown to deliver the news to me. I'm sorry for all of you who are receiving the scores by "emails" and "checking websites" because I will get my score from a singing clown named Daffodil. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Still waiting for this damn clown to show up. I was told they would send one that is "hug-friendly" in case the score is really good or really bad.

Are there specific hours during which the scores might come? Is it known that it's generally from like 9-5 or anything? I only ask because I don't want this clown showing up at my door in the middle of the night and scaring my neighbors. It would be a terrible start to my legal career to be complicit in the death of a clown named Daffodil. Just saying.

Cripes! I almost just had a heart attack. I got a phone call from the singing telegram store and I thought it was my score. Turns out they just wanted to confirm my address. They didn't want an errant clowning.

Question: What should one tip a singing clown?

Another false alarm! A kid rang the doorbell and asked for a ball he hit into the back yard. I looked him in the eye..and told him I wasn't home.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:29 pm

I much preferred email. It doesn't really change anything, and it's easier for them and more instant for me. I found myself annoyed with waiting for the mail from schools that used regular mail.

Yes or no? Let's get to it and move on.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:32 pm

When I withdrew from 20 schools, I just BCCed every single one of them.

fastforward

Postby fastforward » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:20 pm

^Why the B?

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:22 pm

I think an email rejection is better than an envelope rejection. Pull the band aid off quick and it hurts less.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”