LOR fax fail

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

LOR fax fail

Postby Sandro » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:07 pm

I talked to one of my professors yesterday about a LOR and he agreed to. He said he would write them in less than 2 weeks which would be good for my deadlines, but refused to fax them saying the mail option was fine. I tried telling him about how at this time they get backed up and it could take 7-10 days AFTER they receive it but he tried to convince me otherwise.

Are fax machines really that hard for some people? :oops:

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: LOR fax fail

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:13 pm

Sandro777 wrote:I talked to one of my professors yesterday about a LOR and he agreed to. He said he would write them in less than 2 weeks which would be good for my deadlines, but refused to fax them saying the mail option was fine. I tried telling him about how at this time they get backed up and it could take 7-10 days AFTER they receive it but he tried to convince me otherwise.

Are fax machines really that hard for some people? :oops:


See fax thread from last night, you may be better off with snail mail anyway.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: LOR fax fail

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:14 pm

Read the fax thread from last night.

It is NOT an approved official way of submitting LOR's. As a matter of fact, LSAC doesn't want it that way anymore.

Fax is not a good way to submit anything official. Try fax in your tax returns.

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: LOR fax fail

Postby mr_toad » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:14 pm

Benefit of doubt: from what I've heard, the number is often busy. He/she may not feel like hitting send dozens of times. My two both got a student aid to do it instead. I hope they actually did it...

Edit: Hey Philly, where did you hear they don't want it that way anymore? I asked LSAC both by e-mail and phone for a fax number to fax LORs and I received it both ways with no hint of a problem. I'd be interested to hear if this is one of those things you're "allowed" to do but "shouldn't do".
Last edited by mr_toad on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: LOR fax fail

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:14 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:I talked to one of my professors yesterday about a LOR and he agreed to. He said he would write them in less than 2 weeks which would be good for my deadlines, but refused to fax them saying the mail option was fine. I tried telling him about how at this time they get backed up and it could take 7-10 days AFTER they receive it but he tried to convince me otherwise.

Are fax machines really that hard for some people? :oops:


See fax thread from last night, you may be better off with snail mail anyway.


Ahh thank you, much appreciated! My rants are going to serve some purpose. 8)

tranquil
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 4:43 pm

Re: LOR fax fail

Postby tranquil » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:16 pm

Give your professor a prepaid FedEx envelope and airbill, with two day or overnight shipping. The LOR will most likely post to your account one day after delivery. This has been my experience.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: LOR fax fail

Postby im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:35 pm

My mailed LOR posted within 1 day. Just mail it in and if it doesn't post in time, then ask him to fax it.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: LOR fax fail

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:43 pm

im_blue wrote:My mailed LOR posted within 1 day. Just mail it in and if it doesn't post in time, then ask him to fax it.


Please stop recommending people to fax it. You guys are going to drive me crazy. GRRRRR

:D

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: LOR fax fail

Postby Sandro » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:57 pm

Wow. I guess faxing has gone from quickest way to shaky in a matter of days. Thanks guys, hopefully it works out fine.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: LOR fax fail

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:00 pm

Sandro777 wrote:Wow. I guess faxing has gone from quickest way to shaky in a matter of days. Thanks guys, hopefully it works out fine.


I think it's always been shaky (pun intended). But since they haven't had it on the instructions for the forms for at least the past 2 years, I wish people will just stop recommending it.

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: LOR fax fail

Postby Lwoods » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:11 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:Wow. I guess faxing has gone from quickest way to shaky in a matter of days. Thanks guys, hopefully it works out fine.


I think it's always been shaky (pun intended). But since they haven't had it on the instructions for the forms for at least the past 2 years, I wish people will just stop recommending it.


Plus the image quality is poor. Maybe I'm the only one who cares about that, though.

alexjack
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: LOR fax fail

Postby alexjack » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Fax transmission may fail for several reasons. You will receive chat via Skype reasons.E-mail or SMS, you can see the reason in the PamFax portal. PamFax recognize the different error.PamFax will try three times to provide your fax. This is a process which may take up to an hour.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Monday and 4 guests