Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
perspective
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:02 pm

Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby perspective » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:38 pm

One of my professors faxed the LORs in on 10/8 but they still haven't shown up in my account. Is anyone else having this problem? The other mailed them in and they were uploaded within 5 days.

User avatar
djjf39
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby djjf39 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:46 pm

From previous experience I know that the LSAC has major delays in processing for any material not sent to the correct department. I would double check the phone number your prof says he used against the one LSAC gives for LORs, then call them and ask what's up.

If the prof has to send it in again, then just blame is on the LSAC, apologize for taking so much of his time, and make sure this is the last time he has to do. No one will ding you for a do-over, but third time I would anticipate some flak.

Oh, I had the same problem with a inquiry letter and I had faxed it the the general line; took about 10-12 business days to process it. Called a couple of times and got different answers about if they had received it, but it all worked out in the end.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:48 pm

same problem here. Faxed once and idk what happened to it. Faxed again a week or so ago and nothing has changed on my account. It was also mailed, so I am starting to think the universe is against me.

User avatar
lalalawya
Posts: 321
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby lalalawya » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:57 pm

I believe I read somewhere that if the fax image does not come through clearly, the LSAC will not even bother to call you and let you know, they will simply just not process it.

To be safe, I would ask your recommender to mail in a hard copy...just blame it on LSAC.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby im_blue » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:58 pm

I had a LOR mailed last Wednesday, probably received by LSAC on Friday, and posted today.

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby The Gentleman » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:53 pm

I called LSAC last week to confirm their fax number (215-504-1444), but was told that they no longer accept faxed letters. Anyone have any luck faxing LoRs this cycle?

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby LAWLAW09 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:00 am

faxed LOR on the 11th (around 9am)...it posted within a few hrs

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby im_blue » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:01 am

The Gentleman wrote:I called LSAC last week to confirm their fax number (215-504-1444), but was told that they no longer accept faxed letters. Anyone have any luck faxing LoRs this cycle?

People have gotten mixed responses from LSAC depending on who they talk to, but they should still accept faxed LORs.

"LSAC does not recommend faxing because the image of the letter is not always clear, and the barcode on the form can be distorted. Either of these problems can cause a significant delay in processing. If faxed documents are clear they will be accepted; however there is no guarantee."

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby The Gentleman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:09 am

im_blue wrote:People have gotten mixed responses from LSAC depending on who they talk to, but they should still accept faxed LORs.


I figured as much. The rep sounded unsure of how to answer this.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:12 am

I don't know why you guys insist on submitting LOR through a method not listed in the instructions. You send a fax to a number not listed anywhere, and wonder why it doesn't show up in your account...

Follow the instructions. If they want you to give you the fax option, the number would be on the LOR form.

As a matter of fact, your LOR writer should follow the instructions on the form, not what you tell them to. More importantly, LSAC is under no obligation to not throw your fax in the trash because it's not being submitted as instructed.

This happens in the real world too :shock: try faxing in your tax return/drivers license application/visa application/etc when they instructing you to mail it ...

Besides, I have to use fax a lot at work, I really don't want my LORs to come through fax. Personally I hate reading them. Sometimes line quality causes a fax to be pretty much unreadable. I can't imagine any adcom would want to read 1000 faxed LORs. It's entirely possible they will just ignore it if it looks like crap.

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby LAWLAW09 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:43 am

LSAC:

Once you find a position that interests you, send your résumé and letter of application stating the position you are applying for, position code, and salary requirements through one of the following three application options:

Postal Mail:

C. Rommel
Human Resources Section
Law School Admission Council
PO Box 40
Newtown PA 18940

Fax: 215.504.3808

E-mail: employment@LSAC.org
(Please send résumé in Microsoft Word format)

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby LAWLAW09 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:44 am

lol...just kidding...good luck yall.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:47 am

If you submit anything intended for me at my job to a fax number listed for employment applications, There is no guarantee you will receive a response from me. Conversely, if you submit a job application to my email/phone/postal mail listed on our website, I guarantee you will not EVER get that job.

Don't get inventive, people who work don't like people who don't follow directions, so don't expect it to get done.

Edit: change emphasis

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:50 am

r6_philly wrote:I don't know why you guys insist on submitting LOR through a method not listed in the instructions. You send a fax to a number not listed anywhere, and wonder why it doesn't show up in your account...

Follow the instructions. If they want you to give you the fax option, the number would be on the LOR form.


It used to be listed on their website and when asked back in July the person I spoke with confirmed that they actually would prefer that I faxed the LOR. The next month they changed their website and now state they no longer accept them. However, I have since then sent two other LORs via fax and they were both posted just fine. I receive a ton of faxes at work and granted the readability can at times be pretty foobared, the vast majority are easy to read.

I think what is throwing people off is the mix messages that different people have been receiving when they call.

User avatar
LAWLAW09
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:09 am

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby LAWLAW09 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:57 am

lol...my bad r6_philly


I was indirectly poking fun at you (and really all of us TLSers) for routinely transforming into employees of LSAC or members of a school's admissions committee. It was all in fun. I wish you the best.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:02 am

Tiva wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I don't know why you guys insist on submitting LOR through a method not listed in the instructions. You send a fax to a number not listed anywhere, and wonder why it doesn't show up in your account...

Follow the instructions. If they want you to give you the fax option, the number would be on the LOR form.


It used to be listed on their website and when asked back in July the person I spoke with confirmed that they actually would prefer that I faxed the LOR. The next month they changed their website and now state they no longer accept them. However, I have since then sent two other LORs via fax and they were both posted just fine. I receive a ton of faxes at work and granted the readability can at times be pretty foobared, the vast majority are easy to read.

I think what is throwing people off is the mix messages that different people have been receiving when they call.


I applied last cycle too. Still no instruction on the form. I don't even mean their website. There is no confusion on how to submit a LOR. You print out the LOR form where you sign on the disclosure. On that form is where the form is to be sent. It has the mailing address of LSAC. No phone number, no email, no website, no fax. Just a postal mailing address.

You are supposed to hand this form to your profession, who will compose a letter for you, and send it with the aforementioned form to LSAC. Since the only contact information is the postal mailing address, it logically follows that they should put them both in an envelop, and mail it to the address on the form.

I know I sound extremely cynical about this, but am I wrong?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:08 am

LAWLAW09 wrote:lol...my bad r6_philly

I was indirectly poking fun at you (and really all of us TLSers) for routinely transforming into employees of LSAC or members of a school's admissions committee. It was all in fun. I wish you the best.


Na it's ok. I wasn't trying to act like a LSAC employee. It's just common sense. A high percentage of my workload is a direct result of people who not following posted directions (i.e. being inventive) so I feel strongly about this.

User avatar
ArchRoark
Posts: 1000
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby ArchRoark » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:17 am

r6_philly wrote:I know I sound extremely cynical about this, but am I wrong?


No, you are not wrong. Sure that is the only information provided on the form, but previously on their website they had stated that they accepted LORs via fax. You can't fault someone for following instructions from the LSAC website or the instructions given to them by an employee of LSAC (*I just looked at the email correspondence I had with LSAC and on July 26th they were still telling people that faxing LORs was a viable option). Basically, LSAC needs to just inform all their employees of the new stance regarding faxed LORs so that people who call are not receiving different answers depending on who picks up the phone. It is not that people are being inventive. It is that they are given mix messages. I don't think anyone was like "Oh I have a brilliant idea! I am going fax off my LOR! Let me dig up some random LSAC fax number and send it there!" Consistency is all that is needed.

As it stands, since they have updated their website to state that they no longer are accepting faxed LORs, I would just snail mail them.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:28 am

Tiva wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I know I sound extremely cynical about this, but am I wrong?


No, you are not wrong. Sure that is the only information provided on the form, but previously on their website they had stated that they accepted LORs via fax. You can't fault someone for following instructions from the LSAC website or the instructions given to them by an employee of LSAC (*I just looked at the email correspondence I had with LSAC and on July 26th they were still telling people that faxing LORs was a viable option). Basically, LSAC needs to just inform all their employees of the new stance regarding faxed LORs so that people who call are not receiving different answers depending on who picks up the phone. It is not that people are being inventive. It is that they are given mix messages. I don't think anyone was like "Oh I have a brilliant idea! I am going fax off my LOR! Let me dig up some random LSAC fax number and send it there!" Consistency is all that is needed.

As it stands, since they have updated their website to state that they no longer are accepting faxed LORs, I would just snail mail them.


Funny thing is I registered for LSDAS in June 2008. I did not come across and reference of this fax thing until I joined TLS.

So if on one hand you every official document you have this year omits any fax reference, but some people on an Internet forum encourages you to fax it... I wonder what's the credit course of action?

This is no confusion if you don't reach out to confirmed fax as an option because you heard it on TLS. If you just register for your account, put in your school, read the handbook, download the forms, you would know there is exactly one way to submit your LOR, which is via mail. I have the 2009 LSDAS handbook saved, there is no mention of fax.

I will admit, websites can be confusing because not all past references that are invalid anymore get removed. Hence you should always follow instructions for the forms.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:31 am

/rant

But anyway... mail it, it will actual come through as readable. (I don't know how many of you actually read faxed sheets, try to fax yourself a letter in 11pt font and see what the end result is.)

perspective
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:02 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby perspective » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:18 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Tiva wrote:
r6_philly wrote:I don't know why you guys insist on submitting LOR through a method not listed in the instructions. You send a fax to a number not listed anywhere, and wonder why it doesn't show up in your account...

Follow the instructions. If they want you to give you the fax option, the number would be on the LOR form.


It used to be listed on their website and when asked back in July the person I spoke with confirmed that they actually would prefer that I faxed the LOR. The next month they changed their website and now state they no longer accept them. However, I have since then sent two other LORs via fax and they were both posted just fine. I receive a ton of faxes at work and granted the readability can at times be pretty foobared, the vast majority are easy to read.

I think what is throwing people off is the mix messages that different people have been receiving when they call.


I applied last cycle too. Still no instruction on the form. I don't even mean their website. There is no confusion on how to submit a LOR. You print out the LOR form where you sign on the disclosure. On that form is where the form is to be sent. It has the mailing address of LSAC. No phone number, no email, no website, no fax. Just a postal mailing address.

You are supposed to hand this form to your profession, who will compose a letter for you, and send it with the aforementioned form to LSAC. Since the only contact information is the postal mailing address, it logically follows that they should put them both in an envelop, and mail it to the address on the form.

I know I sound extremely cynical about this, but am I wrong?


Thanks for the input. Unfortunately it is, while not totally incorrect, misinformed in numerous ways.

Best of luck to the people who have had luck with faxed LORs. I have called twice and both times when I asked about LORs they have said to fax or mail them. Maybe it is the two LSAC representative's personal opinions? Anyways, I asked my professor to try to refax and also mail them.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:17 pm

Anyone have a letter mailed take longer than a month? I gave my writers an envelope and the fax number. Both mailed them. Both faxed. One posted back in mid september. The other is mia. I figured the fax might have been bad for the missing one. But I think they should have processed the other, even if it was by slow snail mail.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby r6_philly » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:48 pm

perspective wrote:Thanks for the input. Unfortunately it is, while not totally incorrect, misinformed in numerous ways.

Best of luck to the people who have had luck with faxed LORs. I have called twice and both times when I asked about LORs they have said to fax or mail them. Maybe it is the two LSAC representative's personal opinions? Anyways, I asked my professor to try to refax and also mail them.


If following the printed instruction in LSAC official handbooks are misinformed, then I would like to be misinformed. If you feel like following verbal instructions from employees is better than following written instructions, please feel free to do so. My letters are in right on time in nice 300dpi or so quality, and your faxed letters will (if they get processed) be printed out in about 40dpi.

You know what, I am over it. It isn't my loss...

kehoema2
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby kehoema2 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:58 pm

Lot of bitching on a simple question. Faxing should be working, I was told it is still acceptable and had one posted on my account. I would either fax again or mail. I heard mailing is real backed up right now which is a bitch if you want to submit early.

I don't know why LSAC doesn't just allow the documents to be scanned and sent through computer to an email address. Being that is what happens anyway it seems like the quickest fix to this terrible system.

kehoema2
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Faxed LORs in on the 10/8 - Still not showing up

Postby kehoema2 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:00 am

Oh yeah, faxing might carry some risk of a less legible document. That being said I have yet to hear anyone being adversely affected by faxing.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 0LawSchool, mrtux45, sonyco, spqr351 and 6 guests