Resume Length

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
greyblob

Resume Length

Postby greyblob » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:19 pm

Apologies in advance if this topic is repetitive, but I searched for posts on this topic and seemed to read conflicting information. Should it be one page or can it be two pages without negative effect? I've been out of school for 1-2 years.

My current resume is 1 page, but if I want to bullet it (as recommended on TLS), it easily turns into 2 pages.

URMdan

Re: Resume Length

Postby URMdan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:30 pm

1 page unless the directions specify that it can be longer.

ppa840

Postby ppa840 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:31 pm

My resume to most schools was greater than 2 pages. I think only a handful of schools don't allow you to have longer than one page. I emailed most of the t14 schools, and they were cool with it.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:35 pm

ppa840 wrote:My resume to most schools was greater than 2 pages. I think only a handful of schools don't allow you to have longer than one page. I emailed most of the t14 schools, and they were cool with it.

How long were you out of UG?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:00 pm

greyblob wrote:Apologies in advance if this topic is repetitive, but I searched for posts on this topic and seemed to read conflicting information. Should it be one page or can it be two pages without negative effect? I've been out of school for 1-2 years.

My current resume is 1 page, but if I want to bullet it (as recommended on TLS), it easily turns into 2 pages.

It should be 1 page... Your resume for applying to legal job has to be one page and your resume for applying to law schools should be 1 page. The only exception is if you have very, very extensive relevant work experience (i.e., several decades).

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:12 pm

The one-page resume fetish is simply untrue unless a school specifically asks for it. Schools I have spoken with say that they want MORE rather than less information, so if it's important, include it. I was specifically told by schools including U of Chicago and Duke that they want to more or less be able to track your whereabouts and occupations, to see what you've been up to, both during school as well as in breaks, etc. Some schools' material even expressly says that the resume for application should be DIFFERENT (edit: in the sense of longer/more complete) from a law job application resume. This does not mean dig up everything you've ever done and splash it on three pages. But, it does mean that you can give a full picture of yourself since freshman year undergrad. Not everything deserves to go on, but things that deserve to go on should not be omitted simply due to an artificial one-page space constraint.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:18 pm

mr_toad wrote:The one-page resume fetish is simply untrue unless a school specifically asks for it. Schools I have spoken with say that they want MORE rather than less information, so if it's important, include it. I was specifically told by schools including U of Chicago and Duke that they want to more or less be able to track your whereabouts and occupations, to see what you've been up to, both during school as well as in breaks, etc. Some schools' material even expressly says that the resume for application should be DIFFERENT (edit: in the sense of longer/more complete) from a law job application resume. This does not mean dig up everything you've ever done and splash it on three pages. But, it does mean that you can give a full picture of yourself since freshman year undergrad. Not everything deserves to go on, but things that deserve to go on should not be omitted simply due to an artificial one-page space constraint.

Learning to be succinct is a virtue. 95% of people on here do not have enough experience to substantively fill 2 pages. Keep it to 1 page unless you have significant work experience. If they ask for a CV give a CV, if they ask for a resume, give a resume.

smittytron3k

Postby smittytron3k » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:22 pm

i have a 1-page resume for job applications, but i submitted a 2-page resume and got into HYS, and it's not like i had loads of relevant work experience. adcoms are not law firms and they're not going to throw your resume in the trash if it's 2+ pages.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:24 pm

Overly broad brush (regarding the 95%). I do agree with you about succintness, but in this case, I think the problem is that law schools actually do want a CV while calling it a resume. I have asked very specific questions of different admissions people in very high ranking schools (including those listed in my previous post) and invariably they say that they want to know more rather than less. The cut-off at that point becomes arbitrary. I know what I think is important, and you probably know what you think is important. Shall the twain never meet? Perhaps. But the one-size-fits-all solution of one page may not be the solution. If someone is having difficulty staying on one page and doesn't feel they can't cut anything, I think that they should trust their instinct on this, especially when they know they're "supposed to" keep it shorter. Can this be linked directly to age? Perhaps through correlation, but honestly, at the age of 21 I would have barely been able to hit 3/4 of a page, while some people could probably do 1.5 through all their activities, leadership, internships, etc. Depends on the individual, especially as law schools are expressly encouraging this.
I apologize for the lack of succintness in my response. Sometimes thoroughness is the more appropriate of the two.

AP-375

Postby AP-375 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:30 pm

Two pages will not hurt you, unless it is a ton of fluff. They want to get a full picture of you.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:40 pm

mr_toad wrote:The one-page resume fetish is simply untrue unless a school specifically asks for it. Schools I have spoken with say that they want MORE rather than less information, so if it's important, include it. I was specifically told by schools including U of Chicago and Duke that they want to more or less be able to track your whereabouts and occupations, to see what you've been up to, both during school as well as in breaks, etc. Some schools' material even expressly says that the resume for application should be DIFFERENT (edit: in the sense of longer/more complete) from a law job application resume. This does not mean dig up everything you've ever done and splash it on three pages. But, it does mean that you can give a full picture of yourself since freshman year undergrad. Not everything deserves to go on, but things that deserve to go on should not be omitted simply due to an artificial one-page space constraint.

TITCR. The law school resume is gradually evolving into a 2-3 page "info" sheet.

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:26 am

i applied to duke with a 1 pager, even though i'm on year 2 of WE. worked fine for me.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:47 am

I'm sure it did. Congrats on Duke, btw. My point is still the same, however; obviously, keeping it to one page didn't hurt you, but the issue is whether going to two pages might, and the answer is still "no", assuming that there's no fluff. On year two of my work experience I would have also been able to do just one page. And again, I am sure there are people who were much more involved than I was during undergrad who potentially might feel that more would be necessary to give the full picture. The following is a direct quote from correspondence I've had with a top-14 school: "We'd like the resume to be a pretty complete chronology of how you've spent your time. You should include all jobs (and other activities) so that there aren't any gaps. If you don't think the work is particularly relevant, you don't need to go into detail."
Implication: but still list it. Not just jobs, but activities. Again, if you CAN do a one-page and feel good about it, don't let my advice stop you. But if you feel that the complete picture of you is lacking in that format, well, don't be afraid to keep going.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:26 am

Yeah, the one page, two if you have extensive work experience thing is a carryover from business resumes. The same principles don't apply.

1) Business resumes need to be digested in 15 seconds or less. Most people will spend even less time than that actually reading them.

2) Business resumes do not need to go into detail, because once a firm is interested, they will simply meet with you in person.

Neither of these hold true for law school application resumes. Regarding point 1, your resume is part of your application packet, which will be reviewed in detail. They are going to read the entire thing, no matter how long it is. There is an argument for brevity here, in the sense that filling it with meaningless chatter will seem pointless and unprofessional. But if you have something to say, you should say it. Regarding point 2, with only a couple exceptions, they're never going to have a chance to interview you - this is your shot to talk about it.

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:57 am

Good points. Yeah, there's probably no need to fear the 2 pager - kinda like with the PS though, I was always just concerned about inconsistencies regarding preferred length (i.e. Berkeley's 2-4, where most are 2 max).

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:16 am

hellojd wrote:Good points. Yeah, there's probably no need to fear the 2 pager - kinda like with the PS though, I was always just concerned about inconsistencies regarding preferred length (i.e. Berkeley's 2-4, where most are 2 max).

Just read the applications carefully. For most schools, I think my 1-pager career resume tweaked for law schools (including my LSAC number instead of my phone number) is sufficient because they have separate locations for collegiate work experience and extracurricular activities.
With Notre Dame, I noticed they wanted me to list all of my work in and out of college, all of my activities and leadership positions, to describe my duties and list how many hours / week. 3 pages.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:38 pm

I have 6 years of WE and I can just fit mine onto 1 page. Granted I removed 1 seasonal retail job from my resume, and didn't include much info about another retail job, but it's def possible to do it.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”