How to let a close friend know she has little/no chance? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ginj

Silver

Re: How to let a close friend know she has little/no chance?

Post by Ginj » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:47 pm

2011Law wrote:Its good to have dreams, but your friend is living on fantasy island. Get her out before she's swallowed by the sea.
Deep, brah.

nphsbuckeye

Bronze

Post by nphsbuckeye » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:54 pm

LAWLAW09 wrote:Americans unfortunately don't realize how often and to what degree previous generations didn't earn their stripes. I can't think of any generation, range of years, etc where Americans outright "earned" their stripes.
Exactly what I thought. The same with the "what's wrong with kids these days?!" Well, hell, didn't you raise them?

I'm far from being a generations scholar, but it seems the narcissistic "Greatest Generation" has exacerbated the nation of entitled Americans.

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:56 pm

nphsbuckeye wrote:the narcissistic "Greatest Generation" has exacerbated the nation of entitled Americans.
How was the Greatest Generation narcissistic?

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:05 pm

Why you are getting so worked up over this? It's your friend's life, if she wants to be delusional let her be delusional. You already know that she won't listen to you so let her learn her way. The best you can do is get her to apply to safety schools.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:07 pm

Its true that every past generation complains about the current one. However, this generation is by and large much more self centered and self interested than previous ones. I attribute this to the rise of social networking sites that make everyone feel as if though they're special. Completely irrelevant people post completely irrelevant information on twitter and facebook and by doing so it makes them feel as if though they're important. When they arent chosen for the job they wanted or when they dont get into a school that they wanted to get into, they whine and complain to no end. That last part is true of all generations and people in general, but I would argue that its much more prevalent now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:27 pm

nphsbuckeye wrote:
LAWLAW09 wrote:Americans unfortunately don't realize how often and to what degree previous generations didn't earn their stripes. I can't think of any generation, range of years, etc where Americans outright "earned" their stripes.
Exactly what I thought. The same with the "what's wrong with kids these days?!" Well, hell, didn't you raise them?

I'm far from being a generations scholar, but it seems the narcissistic "Greatest Generation" has exacerbated the nation of entitled Americans.
My comments were aimed at Americans in general, not generation specific. Just want to clarify that.

URMdan

Bronze

Post by URMdan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:28 pm

gdane5 wrote:Its true that every past generation complains about the current one. However, this generation is by and large much more self centered and self interested than previous ones. I attribute this to the rise of social networking sites that make everyone feel as if though they're special. Completely irrelevant people post completely irrelevant information on twitter and facebook and by doing so it makes them feel as if though they're important. When they arent chosen for the job they wanted or when they dont get into a school that they wanted to get into, they whine and complain to no end. That last part is true of all generations and people in general, but I would argue that its much more prevalent now.

You're confusing a correlation with a causation, brahhhhhhh.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:39 pm

the more you say to someone in a situation like this, the more resentful they'll be when it turns out you were right.

two_wheels_good

New

Post by two_wheels_good » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:57 pm

gdane5 wrote:This board exemplifies a lot of whats wrong with this generation. There are some people here that are just so self entitled and believe that because they go to X school, they should automatically have it all. Noone wants to "earn their stripes" anymore. Theres something wrong about that...
I feel like its less about earning your stripes and more about: 1)Not being able to set a goal and then practically figuring out how to achieve that goal, and 2)An inability to see that they're not "special" and that there's probably a bazillion other people out there who want it more than you, are studying harder than you, and are possibly smarter than you.

If the people who are applying to a T6 are studying for their LSAT 40 hours a week, then sack up and study 50. If they do five practice tests a week, do seven. That kind of thing. This process doesn't reward people who think they get points just for showing up. And a lot of people seem to think that way.

And before anyone accuses me of being elitist, I already know I'm not T6 material. But some people (OP's friend included) are going to get a real swift boot in the ass when they finally figure out how the world works.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:01 pm

If you think she can get 170 plus, don't encourage her to apply to non-T14s. Just let her get dinged everywhere and encourage her to retake after. A 168 will probably get her into Cornell. :lol:

It's a bit manipulative, but it's the best outcome for her.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:04 pm

IAFG wrote:the more you say to someone in a situation like this, the more resentful they'll be when it turns out you were right.
TITMFCR. Your friend has gone past the point of no return.

Your job at this point is to keep silent until her cycle winds down (but do try your best to prevent her from attending a TTT).
Last edited by Unemployed on Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:09 pm

Here's the thing about unsolicited advice: it doesn't work. It doesn't matter what you say or how you say it or why you say it. She isn't going to listen and it will probably do long-term damage to your relationship. If you want to keep your friend, then you need to keep your mouth shut.

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:13 pm

rayiner wrote:If you think she can get 170 plus, don't encourage her to apply to non-T14s. Just let her get dinged everywhere and encourage her to retake after. A 168 will probably get her into Cornell. :lol:

It's not likely that 168/3.2 would get into Cornell. But otherwise, this is probably the way to go.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:15 pm

rayiner wrote:If you think she can get 170 plus, don't encourage her to apply to non-T14s. Just let her get dinged everywhere and encourage her to retake after. A 168 will probably get her into Cornell. :lol:

Blatant anti Cornell trolling.

beleaguer

Bronze

Post by beleaguer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:48 am

if you referred her to TLS, won't she..read this thread?

sophia.olive

Silver

Post by sophia.olive » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:05 am

sorry im having a hard time reading your posts because of your avatar's breasts.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:47 am

How hot is she and how badly do you want to bang her? This makes a huge difference.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

capitalacq

Silver

Post by capitalacq » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:14 am

you just let her be and find smarter friends at havahd baby

nphsbuckeye

Bronze

Post by nphsbuckeye » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:43 pm

spondee wrote:
nphsbuckeye wrote:the narcissistic "Greatest Generation" has exacerbated the nation of entitled Americans.
How was the Greatest Generation narcissistic?
I'm not sure if that's a joke or serious.

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:14 pm

So what are you gonna do?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:16 pm

Find friends you can be honest with. HTH.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:19 pm

kalvano wrote:
Yes, I have, and yes, it was difficult, but in the end, it was more beneficial for him.

Of course, that was between guys and this is between girls, so God only know what could happen. Girls are weird.
Men tend to be more prone to overconfidence. I find this weird.

OP sounds like she's done what she could. She should let reality take care of the rest.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:23 pm

dresden doll wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Yes, I have, and yes, it was difficult, but in the end, it was more beneficial for him.

Of course, that was between guys and this is between girls, so God only know what could happen. Girls are weird.
Men tend to be more prone to overconfidence reacting to things without self-centered fishing for compliments and tantrums. I find this weird obvious.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:23 pm

dresden doll wrote:
OP sounds like she's done what she could. She should let reality take care of the rest.
Agreed. It's not a friends place to be a constant downer and dream-crusher. Let reality do that.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:25 pm

Para, you need to so being so reasonable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”