(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hawkeye Pierce

Postby Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:34 pm

Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Continue volunteering? Or stop?

Postby MrPapagiorgio » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:36 pm

Last edited by MrPapagiorgio on Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby BlueDiamond » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:39 pm

They won't care if you stop. NUMBERS!!!

If you really want to keep volunteering then go somewhere that you actually feel like you are making a difference. I went to a local community center and worked with kids from three to six a few days a week. Allowed me to help them with homework, get a free meal, and experience "recess" one more time before my life gets sucked into a never-ending push to make rent, etc.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Could you transfer to a new volunteer position within the hospital? I was just reading advice from ad comms in some book and one of them happened to use a very similar example. He said that for volunteer positions, he looks for work that was substantive/gritty, like interacting with patients, not administrative - he used the hospital example specifically. Being that you've been there since May, I think showing continuity by not stopping now would potentially be a semi-important display of commitment. But if you don't like what you're doing - and it's in an administrative role that might not be that impressive anyway - I would look for opportunities to move into a more engaging position at the same place -- or maybe transfer to a more engaging position at a different hospital/medical clinic. Not only will it show continuity and character, but you might get a good PS out of it.

edit for spelling fail.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”