How much of a soft would a year in the peace corps be? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
M.M.

Bronze

How much of a soft would a year in the peace corps be?

Post by M.M. » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 am

Let's say someone (maybe a future me) applies for a law school, gets denied for a small margin, and goes to the corps.

Other than a soft it'd be multifunctional; it'd give you a year off school a (supposedly) awesome and fulfilling experience and it'd, for most people, be a good resume builder.

How much of a soft would it count for though? I would think it'd be substantial for those schools with a more holistic view of acceptance, but which schools are those really?

I was considering the peace corps or the military since I didn't know what I wanted to do in life you a long time but now I've decided on LS and it seems like it might still be a good idea

plenipotentiary

Silver

Re: How much of a soft would a year in the peace corps be?

Post by plenipotentiary » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:38 am

Retake the LSAT.

deadhipsters

Bronze

Post by deadhipsters » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:00 pm

Peace Corp is over two years- not one. If you did for a year, you'd look like an asshole who can't do anything right. HTH.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:19 pm

deadhipsters wrote:Peace Corp is over two years- not one. If you did for a year, you'd look like an asshole who can't do anything right. HTH.
Yup its two years plus training. I imagine it'd be a good soft IF you finished your service.

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:41 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:Retake the LSAT.
Haven't taken it yet

@ the other posters, thanks, it's been a while since I researched it. 1 year seems a little short anyway.

So it would be a good soft?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:47 pm

M.M. wrote:
plenipotentiary wrote:Retake the LSAT.
Haven't taken it yet

@ the other posters, thanks, it's been a while since I researched it. 1 year seems a little short anyway.

So it would be a good soft?
Decent, not by any means great. Anyone can do it. It would not make a big difference in law school admissions, unless your resume is blank from undergrad...

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Isn't the Peace Corps like Teach for America-fairly difficult to get into? I know the selection process for the Peace Corps takes some time. Go in if you really want to not to get a soft factor for law school admissions. Same thing with the military or one day you could find yourself in the Af-Pak region in a world of shit.

Hawkeye Pierce

Silver

Post by Hawkeye Pierce » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:56 pm

Last edited by Hawkeye Pierce on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:22 pm

As I said I was considering it before I ever gave much serious thought to law school, so I have my reasons other than as a soft factor. Thanks though, anyone have any answer to whether it would be a good soft though?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:35 pm

Might as well join the army. About same committment year wise and about same boost soft wise.

Also you get $ if you join the army. Not so with peace corps.

1Levening2013

New

Post by 1Levening2013 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:40 pm

M.M. wrote:As I said I was considering it before I ever gave much serious thought to law school, so I have my reasons other than as a soft factor. Thanks though, anyone have any answer to whether it would be a good soft though?
it is a soft, but not a remarkable soft...it will have very little affect on your application cycle

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:40 pm

tazmolover wrote:Might as well join the army. About same committment year wise and about same boost soft wise.

I dunno if I could get accepted to any branch (I would want to get accepted to) ... I'm physically fit but my back and neck are destroyed and I could see it hindering me. Also I would desire doing peace corps work more ... more fulfilling, though yes the benefits of being in the armed forces are very good, as well as the money

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:42 pm

tazmolover wrote:Might as well join the army. About same committment year wise and about same boost soft wise.

Not as much money, but they do give you some.
Peace Corps Website (LinkRemoved) wrote:Transition Funds
Returning from overseas requires some adjustment. To assist with the transition back home, Volunteers are paid $7,425 (before taxes) at the close of 27 months of service. This money is yours to use as you wish: for travel, a vacation, making a move, or securing housing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tazmolover

Bronze

Post by tazmolover » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:43 pm

paratactical wrote:

Not as much money, but they do give you some.
Peace Corps Website (LinkRemoved) wrote:Transition Funds
Returning from overseas requires some adjustment. To assist with the transition back home, Volunteers are paid $7,425 (before taxes) at the close of 27 months of service. This money is yours to use as you wish: for travel, a vacation, making a move, or securing housing.
Isn't there some program that pays army vets like half the tuition for law school?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:47 pm

tazmolover wrote: Isn't there some program that pays army vets like half the tuition for law school?
I didn't think there was a special program for law school. If there is, I'd bet it's associated with JAG, which is *incredibly* difficult to get in and requires more than just a year or two of service.

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:06 pm

1Levening2013 wrote:
M.M. wrote:As I said I was considering it before I ever gave much serious thought to law school, so I have my reasons other than as a soft factor. Thanks though, anyone have any answer to whether it would be a good soft though?
it is a soft, but not a remarkable soft...it will have very little affect on your application cycle
What would constitute a remarkable soft then lol?

The corps / military service is about one of the best softs I can think of

Though I guess winning a Nobel Prize or writing a best seller would be good too

1Levening2013

New

Post by 1Levening2013 » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:18 pm

M.M. wrote:
1Levening2013 wrote:
What would constitute a remarkable soft then lol?

The corps / military service is about one of the best softs I can think of

Though I guess winning a Nobel Prize or writing a best seller would be good too
the obvious...like owning/starting up a successful and well known business (i.e. not starting your own local painting company or some other run of the mill type business), getting published in a well regarded journal, or even being a standout athlete (olympic, standout/well known D1, etc.)...heck, i'd put even put impressive work experience ahead of peace corps (i know you can make the argument that peace corps is work, but i think you catch my drift)

there are hundreds of threads that argue about what softs are good and what softs are bad, but in the end, it doesnt matter. this is a #s game, and do not expect your softs to give you much of a boost, unless it is purely standout

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:00 pm

I don't think it will help you at all assuming your number stay the same. the medians of all schools are drifting upwards. while you were 'on the margins' right now, in two years you are going to be below the margins. in which case, peace corps will not have help you at all and you will be worse off. only sign up for PC if you really want to do it. don't sign up cause you think you'll get some secret pass; you haven't.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:39 pm

Honestly, OP, peace corps works to weed out people like you in the application process.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:45 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:Honestly, OP, peace corps works to weed out people like you in the application process.
I could not agree with this more. Using peace corps as a way to improve your chances during law school admissions is a terrible idea. Yes, it may help your chances IF YOUR NUMBERS ARE THERE, but the fact that it was posted here makes one think that your doing it only for selfish reasons. On the other hand, if I misunderstood your original post (and you truly are interested in peace corps), then go for it. It would be tough for anyone to say they are sure the legal market will be better in 2014, and spending 2 years helping others while also deferring admission 2 years could be a win-win.

M.M.

Bronze

Post by M.M. » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:04 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:Honestly, OP, peace corps works to weed out people like you in the application process.
I could not agree with this more. Using peace corps as a way to improve your chances during law school admissions is a terrible idea. Yes, it may help your chances IF YOUR NUMBERS ARE THERE, but the fact that it was posted here makes one think that your doing it only for selfish reasons. On the other hand, if I misunderstood your original post (and you truly are interested in peace corps), then go for it. It would be tough for anyone to say they are sure the legal market will be better in 2014, and spending 2 years helping others while also deferring admission 2 years could be a win-win.
I said it later in the thread idk about the OP but yes Ill say it again I was interested in the corps before finding out you need a four year degree

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:09 pm

Well in that case if you have interest go for it, but don't expect it to make a huge difference in LS admissions. Especially after 2 more years; who knows where the medians will be at that point?? With the huge increases being seen with LSAT takers and LS applicants it'd probably be more helpful to just retake or look for a strong regional school.

Again, if the peace corps is genuinely your thing then more power to ya and good luck. If not, don't be miserable for 2 years thinking it is the difference maker.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:22 pm

BlueDiamond wrote:Well in that case if you have interest go for it, but don't expect it to make a huge difference in LS admissions. Especially after 2 more years; who knows where the medians will be at that point?? With the huge increases being seen with LSAT takers and LS applicants it'd probably be more helpful to just retake or look for a strong regional school.

Again, if the peace corps is genuinely your thing then more power to ya and good luck. If not, don't be miserable for 2 years thinking it is the difference maker.
Can you back up what you are saying about things getting more competitive? If you can great, but otherwise this whole the coming cycles are go going to be so hard hype is just well, unfounded.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:27 pm

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
BlueDiamond wrote:Well in that case if you have interest go for it, but don't expect it to make a huge difference in LS admissions. Especially after 2 more years; who knows where the medians will be at that point?? With the huge increases being seen with LSAT takers and LS applicants it'd probably be more helpful to just retake or look for a strong regional school.

Can you back up what you are saying about things getting more competitive? If you can great, but otherwise this whole the coming cycles are go going to be so hard hype is just well, unfounded.
You can look at the data yourself.. there are more applicants for the same number of spots.. if that doesn't mean more competitive I'd like to hear your thoughts

and btw I said "who knows where the medians will be at that point".. and used the word "probably".. hope you aren't taking the LSAT tomorrow.. language is pretty important for success on it

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:32 pm

if military would not take you due to a health concern, peace corps would probably ding you on the same grounds. they're strict.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”