Northwestern and work experience

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Northwestern and work experience

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:05 pm

I am applying to Northwestern as a reverse-splitter (for now---pray for October) and will only have one year of post-graduate work experience when entering law school. I know I won't get it, but it is my top choice and I got a fee waiver, so why not? I have heard that despite heavily favoring students with work experience, Northwestern will "ham it up" and make it seem like the admitted students worked more than they have...add in internships, etc. So, I will have one year of legit (and pretty awesome post-grad work experience) and internships every summer. But, should I include high school work experience on my resume for them? I worked 25-40 hours a week at Best Buy, got "employee of the month" and crap like that...would they care? Would they construe this as the all-important 2+ years work experience? Or should I stick to the standard of don't include anything from High school?

Re: Northwestern and work experience

Postby Fresh » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:09 pm

In speaking to an admissions rep, from what I understand, they don't report their work statistics to make it seem like they care about work experiences, they really do care about it that much. So I would be hesitant to include high school work, unless you feel like it really impacted your intellectual and professional development. Maybe it did?

Re: Northwestern and work experience

Postby fugitivejammer » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:27 pm

don't include anything from high school. that would more likely impact ur admissions process n a negative way than positive...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”