Oct or Dec LSAT for Fall 2011

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mcnally

Oct or Dec LSAT for Fall 2011

Postby mcnally » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:53 pm

Hi Everyone,

My hope is to apply to law school for fall 2011, but I’m kind of in a bind. Because of other circumstances, I’ve only began studying for the LSAT’s recently. I took a diagnostic test to begin with and scored around a 153 ( after a year of not really using my brain =/ ).

Should I attempt to study hard to make the Oct LSATs? My goal would be to get 165 or higher. Would it be possible to apply for Fall 2011 if I took the Dec LSATs? If so, should I wait till Dec?

Thanks in advance for all the advice and help.

bk1

Re: Oct or Dec LSAT for Fall 2011

Postby bk1 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:59 pm

December would definitely be late, although still possible. October is ideal here. The question is how much of an increase would you see if you waited till December.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:01 pm

If you can go super-intensive from here to October 9 I'd recommend you do it depending on how much improvement you see.

haydee

Postby haydee » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:48 am

+1 for October. You've still got a full month to study, and the advantage you'd get by submitting an earlier application might outweigh the advantage you'd get by waiting a few more months and scoring an extra point or two.

Unless you think it's likely that you'd do *significantly* better in December... and even then, you can always retake.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:20 am

I'm going to disagree with everyone above and say December. In my opinion, the extra 2 months of studying is probably going to mean a significant increase in score (more than 5 points), not just 1 or 2, especially starting from a 153. I know that getting your apps in is important, but I don't think it outweighs a significantly better LSAT.

2ofspades

Postby 2ofspades » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:10 pm

kazu wrote:I'm going to disagree with everyone above and say December. In my opinion, the extra 2 months of studying is probably going to mean a significant increase in score (more than 5 points), not just 1 or 2, especially starting from a 153. I know that getting your apps in is important, but I don't think it outweighs a significantly better LSAT.

+1

Even if you could get above 165 by October, you really want to already be consistently testing at your desired score before you take the test. Moving your score up 12 points in one month will make you feel rushed, which is not conducive to good studying or testing.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Personally, and this depends very much on your circumstances and finances, if I wasn't ready to go for October, I'd push off until the following cycle. Plenty of people get into schools applying with a Dec. score---but with less scholarship money, or not getting into schools that might have otherwise. There's the option of applying this year and re-applying, of course, though that's sort of pricey as well.

firemed

Postby firemed » Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:24 pm

October if LG is your issue. You can raise that section 5-10 points using the LG bible in 3 weeks if you study hard.

If you are doing poorly in LR and/or RC then I would say December. If all three then also December.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:59 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Personally, and this depends very much on your circumstances and finances, if I wasn't ready to go for October, I'd push off until the following cycle. Plenty of people get into schools applying with a Dec. score---but with less scholarship money, or not getting into schools that might have otherwise. There's the option of applying this year and re-applying, of course, though that's sort of pricey as well.

Yeah, this is probably TCR in terms of getting into the best law school possible (Dec LSAT, apply next cycle).

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:03 pm

kazu wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:Personally, and this depends very much on your circumstances and finances, if I wasn't ready to go for October, I'd push off until the following cycle. Plenty of people get into schools applying with a Dec. score---but with less scholarship money, or not getting into schools that might have otherwise. There's the option of applying this year and re-applying, of course, though that's sort of pricey as well.

Yeah, this is probably TCR in terms of getting into the best law school possible (Dec LSAT, apply next cycle).

Yeah, this is why I suggested October. It sounded from the OP that he doesn't want to wait until next cycle. IMO, December is too late for this cycle. Of course it depends on how big the LSAT increase is from October 9-December.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Hannibal wrote:Yeah, this is why I suggested October. It sounded from the OP that he doesn't want to wait until next cycle. IMO, December is too late for this cycle. Of course it depends on how big the LSAT increase is from October 9-December.

Yeah, December is pretty late, however if s/he's starting now and from a 153 I really, really think those 2 months for LSAT prep are going to matter a LOT.

However, the more important question here I guess is: OP, what about applying next cycle?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”