Language School on Resume Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
spaceman82

New

Language School on Resume

Post by spaceman82 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:33 am

I have a problem I was hoping someone here could help me out with. If I attended a language school at a university for a year after graduating from college but am not listing a GPA for it on my resume or application, should I include my time there under the Education heading of my resume or under some other heading? Also, considering that the program was full-time but divided its courses/levels so that each lasted two months (i.e., it was not organized into regular semesters), does it look unusual for me not to include a GPA? I'd really appreciate any help/insight anyone could offer.

jesuis

New

Re: Language School on Resume

Post by jesuis » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:45 pm

hm, it seems like this should be listed under 'education' since that's what it is (keep it simple! :) though you would ideally include your results (i.e. gpa). but if the program you did does not conform to a 4.0 scale then list whatever certificate you received for completion of the program or the grade received based on the foreign institution's scale.
hope this helps, best of luck!

spaceman82

New

Re: Language School on Resume

Post by spaceman82 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:03 pm

Thanks, I think you're right about keeping it simple. Language school is still, after all, education. In terms of the GPA, I actually did some reading and am now considering not including GPAs at all (for any of my schools) on my resume. I'm not sure if that's the right move, but some people seem to recommend it and it would eliminate the problem I am having now.

Regarding your other suggestion, if I completed four levels of a six-level fluency program (there were six levels total but students weren't really expected to complete all six - they just did however much study they felt they needed) and received completion certificates for each of those levels, should I mention that or just make a more general comment about what I studied?

Thanks again for your help.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”