LSAC Still Accepting Faxes!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Dany

LSAC Still Accepting Faxes!

Postby Dany » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:43 pm

***UPDATE: Several TLSers have had letters faxed with no trouble! If your recommender faxes a letter but it doesn't post, assume the man I talked to is the one working the fax machine that day. Otherwise, looks like faxes are good to go!***

From the LSAC site:
Can the recommender fax the letter to LSAC?

No, a faxed image is not clear enough to be added to your file.

I called LSAC to clarify, and told them that I had requested my LORs and asked my recommenders to fax them before reading that this was no longer acceptable. The representative said that they would not be accepted, that the recommenders will have to mail them, and that I will need to get in contact with all recommenders to let them know the letters must be mailed.

Just wanted to let you guys know to save you any trouble.

Ugh.
Last edited by Dany on Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

d34d9823

Re: No More Faxing LORs!

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:45 pm

eskimo wrote:From the LSAC site:
Can the recommender fax the letter to LSAC?
No, a faxed image is not clear enough to be added to your file.

I called LSAC to clarify, and told them that I had requested my LORs and asked my recommenders to fax them before reading that this was no longer acceptable. The representative said that they would not be accepted, that the recommenders will have to mail them, and that I will need to get in contact with all recommenders to let them know the letters must be mailed.

Just wanted to let you guys know to save you any trouble.

Ugh.

Someone said this morning that they called and were told it will still be OK. Maybe it depends on who you talk to.

I got lucky on this one 'cause we're always getting faxes at my office and they look awful. I didn't want my LORs to look like that so I just asked my recommenders to mail them.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:46 pm

Seriously? I had one person fax her LOR to LSAC on August 5th and it's showing up in my account as processed, so either this is a new policy or LSAC is continuing its proud tradition of piss-poor communication.

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:47 pm

The man I talked to sounded pretty adamant. I'll let you know if any of mine post (one was supposed to be faxed today) but he had me pretty convinced.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Seriously? I had one person fax her LOR to LSAC on August 5th and it's showing up in my account as processed, so either this is a new policy or LSAC is continuing its proud tradition of piss-poor communication.

It's to go along with the new evaluation form you have to do with LORs :lol:

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:48 pm

I think all the changes began yesterday. I've always mailed my LORs because I feel like the quality if much better. But this should be a reason to inspire people to get them in earlier than later!

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:50 pm

I honestly don't care either way; I just feel like a dumbass having to go back to my recommenders to tell them that I'm an idiot and here's an envelope because LSAC sucks.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:54 pm

Requiring LORs to be mailed is such an anachronism. The most tech-savvy that LSAC got with LORs is a freaking fax machine, and now that is unacceptable. You'd think that scanning a copy and sending it to LSAC would be the next logical step in what is allowed, but nooooo.

Fuck, LSAC. I don't want to have to go to my LOR writers now and look like I messed up just because you think that the 1980s are still the cutting edge of technological development.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:56 pm

eskimo wrote:I honestly don't care either way; I just feel like a dumbass having to go back to my recommenders to tell them that I'm an idiot and here's an envelope because LSAC sucks.

Asking for letters is so awkward.

Hey! I haven't seen you in a while! I missed you! Well, not actually...I just need you to say saccharine things about me to get me into law school so I can go back to not seeing you. Oh! And could you write a school-specific letter for the school you went to? And also Stanford. I don't know why, but they want one, even if you've never heard of Stanford or have it confused with Samford. Kthxbai.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:57 pm

eskimo wrote:I honestly don't care either way; I just feel like a dumbass having to go back to my recommenders to tell them that I'm an idiot and here's an envelope because LSAC sucks.

Same...thanks LSAC!

P. Bateman

Postby P. Bateman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:57 pm

I really wonder what kind of people work at LSAC.

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:58 pm

P. Bateman wrote:I really wonder what kind of people work at LSAC.

--ImageRemoved--

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:09 pm

That sucks! One of my recommenders is in a different state than me and I was just going to have him fax it because that seemed easier than me mailing stuff down to him then him mailing stuff to LSAC.

They just need to get an online upload system where our recommenders just login and upload the letter directly. Would be sooooo much easier all around.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:18 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:

Hey! I haven't seen you in a while! I missed you! Well, not actually...I just need you to say saccharine things about me to get me into law school so I can go back to not seeing you. Oh! And could you write a school-specific letter for the school you went to? And also Stanford. I don't know why, but they want one, even if you've never heard of Stanford or have it confused with Samford. Kthxbai.

+1. I have one more LOR to go, and I'm not looking forward to asking for it.

iusedtolurk

Postby iusedtolurk » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:19 pm

So, opinions on having recommenders fax anyway and hoping for the best?
Called LSAC when I first saw this post, and the representative said faxing was still okay. But I feel like if my letters are not processed, using the "but I was told it was okay!" excuse won't be very valid, since it's in plain text on the website.
I've been pestering my LOR writers enough, really don't want to seem like more of a pest...

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:20 pm

iusedtolurk wrote:So, opinions on having recommenders fax anyway and hoping for the best?
Called LSAC when I first saw this post, and the representative said faxing was still okay. But I feel like if my letters are not processed, using the "but I was told it was okay!" excuse won't be very valid, since it's in plain text on the website.
I've been pestering my LOR writers enough, really don't want to seem like more of a pest...

I just sent my recommenders a quick email saying that I was sorry for the confusion, but policies had changed, and that I'd be dropping off a pre-addressed, stamped envelope tomorrow.

Hopefully all of our recommenders like us SO much that it won't be a problem!

Knock

Postby Knock » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:31 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:

Haha, couldn't agree more!

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:34 pm

lifestooquick wrote:That sucks! One of my recommenders is in a different state than me and I was just going to have him fax it because that seemed easier than me mailing stuff down to him then him mailing stuff to LSAC.

They just need to get an online upload system where our recommenders just login and upload the letter directly. Would be sooooo much easier all around.

You can still fax/e-mail him the form. He just needs to mail it in when done.

RCG37

Postby RCG37 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:38 pm

This really ticks me off. What's with all of the game changers (new format, no faxing BS) right before admissions season opens??

One of my recommenders faxed my LOR over today and it was around the time they close so now I don't if it is processed and if it even will be. UGH! I told her to send it by fax about a month ago because of the success I had with my other recommender faxing an LOR back in the beginning of July....but now I'm worried that his letter won't be "clear" enough for adcomms to read. Great.

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:45 am

RCG37 wrote:This really ticks me off. What's with all of the game changers (new format, no faxing BS) right before admissions season opens??

+1.

Ugh, my recommender now has to send the LOR by international snail mail. I was so counting on it being faxed...

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:47 am

kazu wrote:
RCG37 wrote:This really ticks me off. What's with all of the game changers (new format, no faxing BS) right before admissions season opens??

+1.

Ugh, my recommender now has to send the LOR by international snail mail. I was so counting on it being faxed...

Yeah, I felt dumb emailing my professor today. I threw all the blame (rightfully) on LSAC though :P.

hemm

Postby hemm » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:26 am

So some people here have had success faxing LORs: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=125942

FWIW I'm still going to try to fax my letters. I'm not waiting on international snail mail.

Heat

Postby Heat » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:16 am

I had one faxed in last week and it went ok. It's showing up as being there now. When I called to get the fax number at the time they didnt mention this so I'm not going to worry about it with the people I've already asked and given a fax number to.

dcliving

Postby dcliving » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:09 am

I just called and spoke to a representative at LSAC and they said that the policy has not changed. You are able to fax in your LOR and they will process them. Hope this helps.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:51 am

dcliving wrote:I just called and spoke to a representative at LSAC and they said that the policy has not changed. You are able to fax in your LOR and they will process them. Hope this helps.

This drives me absolutely freaking nuts. The man I spoke to yesterday was unwavering, and said my letters would absolutely not be accepted. I wish all of LSAC's employees were on the same page!

I'm getting mine mailed, just in case the man I talked to is the one checking the fax machine that day.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”