Duke Priority Track 2011 and C/O 2013 Numbers Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alive

New

Re: Duke Priority Track 2011

Post by alive » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:27 pm

Interesting. I didn't get a PT invite or a fee waiver. 3.95/170. Maybe 171 is the cutoff?

Probably not applying for this cycle so doesn't matter anyway.

Deuce

Silver

Post by Deuce » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:28 pm

Last edited by Deuce on Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:43 pm

I'm just guessing, but they probably have some random formula for invites. As in, it's not about meeting cutoffs, but more about your exact GPA/LSAT combo. They probably look at patterns of who's matriculated in the past and pick strategically from that (but who knows whether the strategy is to attract applicants they want, applicants just to increase their 'selectivity' for USNews, or a combination of both.)

I guess my point is that looking at your numbers relative to those who got the PT invite probably wouldn't help unless A) you saw the stats of EVERY invitee, or B) someone with exactly the same stats as you got it and you didn't.

hellojd

Bronze

Post by hellojd » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:47 pm

alive wrote:Interesting. I didn't get a PT invite or a fee waiver. 3.95/170. Maybe 171 is the cutoff?

Nope, 3.85 / 170 and got it.

mcm17

New

Post by mcm17 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:54 pm

Interesting. I didn't get a PT invite or a fee waiver. 3.95/170. Maybe 171 is the cutoff?

We are EXACT numbers twins and I got the PT invite twice, once when I took the LSAT in 2008 and again this morning (though I didn't retake or anything). I agree, it's a super strange system.

ETA: And also, alive, in addition to being numbers twins, I creeped your profile and we went to the same undergrad. that's CRAZY.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alive

New

Post by alive » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:00 pm

mcm17 wrote:

We are EXACT numbers twins and I got the PT invite twice, once when I took the LSAT in 2008 and again this morning (though I didn't retake or anything). I agree, it's a super strange system.

ETA: And also, alive, in addition to being numbers twins, I creeped your profile and we went to the same undergrad. that's CRAZY.
You've got to be kidding. That IS crazy. Let's keep in contact--I'll be rather interested to hear where you are targeting and how you make out. I'll PM you.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:16 pm

eskimo wrote:I'm just guessing, but they probably have some random formula for invites. As in, it's not about meeting cutoffs, but more about your exact GPA/LSAT combo. They probably look at patterns of who's matriculated in the past and pick strategically from that (but who knows whether the strategy is to attract applicants they want, applicants just to increase their 'selectivity' for USNews, or a combination of both.)

I guess my point is that looking at your numbers relative to those who got the PT invite probably wouldn't help unless A) you saw the stats of EVERY invitee, or B) someone with exactly the same stats as you got it and you didn't.
You are giving law schools way too much credit.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:02 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
eskimo wrote:I'm just guessing, but they probably have some random formula for invites. As in, it's not about meeting cutoffs, but more about your exact GPA/LSAT combo. They probably look at patterns of who's matriculated in the past and pick strategically from that (but who knows whether the strategy is to attract applicants they want, applicants just to increase their 'selectivity' for USNews, or a combination of both.)

You are giving law schools way too much credit.
I know one of my UG's vice presidents really well, and you wouldn't believe all the stuff just her area of the university does to game the US News rankings. If you don't think law schools are doing the same thing, you're crazy.

xqhp82

Bronze

Post by xqhp82 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:37 am

hmm I have some questions about this priority track system...is anyone eligible to email Duke and ask for an invitation if Duke hasn't invited them? If not what's the minimum requirement? I'm an intl. applicant who doesn't have a GPA (LSAC rated 'above average') and I won't take LSAT until October. If I'm really desperate for an invite do I wait til after November and ask?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lisjjen

Silver

Re: Duke Priority Track 2011 and C/O 2013 Numbers

Post by lisjjen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:30 am

I get the sneaking suspicion that they send PT invites to people they actually want (High LSAT, GPA, URM, geographical diversity, etc.) and then they send out a bunch of fee waivers to people right on the edge of what they would normally accept so they can reject them all. If they sent all their fee waivers to people who knew they didn't have a shot in hell, then they'd be less likely to apply.

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:07 pm

lisjjen wrote:I get the sneaking suspicion that they send PT invites to people they actually want (High LSAT, GPA, URM, geographical diversity, etc.) and then they send out a bunch of fee waivers to people right on the edge of what they would normally accept so they can reject them all. If they sent all their fee waivers to people who knew they didn't have a shot in hell, then they'd be less likely to apply.
I only got a Fee Waiver, not PT, but I still think my chances at Duke are pretty good. At least, looking on LSN, people with numbers like mine were generally accepted. There were a couple of WL, but they were pretty much all from late applications. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I won't be flat-out rejected just for a lower acceptance rate.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:08 pm

Derrex

New

Post by Derrex » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:37 pm

I got a pt and fee waiver. Not even sure I'm applying this cycle. 3.83 176 for what its worth.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Spykuh

Bronze

Post by Spykuh » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:11 pm

I emailed Duke about it, and Mark Hill (the director of admissions) said that the forum trick should make me show up in their next round of searches.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:22 pm

Wait, Duke raised their median to a 170? I thought it was a 169? Fuck me.

Also, I'm about to send off a fee waiver request. We'll see how it goes.

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Spykuh wrote:I emailed Duke about it, and Mark Hill (the director of admissions) said that the forum trick should make me show up in their next round of searches.
This forum thing is confusing me. I've gotten probably about a dozen fee waivers already (including one from Duke) but I haven't used the forums. I have taken the LSAT and I also went to a LSAC forum in NY. Would I be getting more attention if I hit the forums or did my LSAC account go live simply by me taking the LSAT?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:46 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lisjjen

Silver

Post by lisjjen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:51 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
Spykuh wrote:I emailed Duke about it, and Mark Hill (the director of admissions) said that the forum trick should make me show up in their next round of searches.
This forum thing is confusing me. I've gotten probably about a dozen fee waivers already (including one from Duke) but I haven't used the forums. I have taken the LSAT and I also went to a LSAC forum in NY. Would I be getting more attention if I hit the forums or did my LSAC account go live simply by me taking the LSAT?
When'd you take the LSAT? If you took it June that should've activated it as well. The necessity of the trick is for ppl who took the LSAT Feb or sooner.
Yeah, I took it in June.

GoogleScholar

New

Post by GoogleScholar » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:58 pm

Hannibal wrote:Curse me and my October LSAT.

I assume one can't do priority track in November (assuming I demolish the LSAT)

You can. I did so last year. They'll send out a round of PT invites a week or two after the scores come out. Good luck!

kazu

Gold

Post by kazu » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:45 pm

lisjjen wrote:
The forum thing is for people who aren't get fee waivers due to their CRS account automatically getting expired 1 year after it was made. You have to sign up for it when registering to take an LSAT, so anyone who registered a more than a year before aren't showing up in CRS. They can reactivate it by signing up for a forum.

If you're getting fee waivers & less than a year has passed since you signed up for CRS, you have nothing to worry about :wink:

thalassocrat

Bronze

Post by thalassocrat » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:58 pm

GoogleScholar wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Curse me and my October LSAT.

I assume one can't do priority track in November (assuming I demolish the LSAT)

You can. I did so last year. They'll send out a round of PT invites a week or two after the scores come out. Good luck!
Also if you took the LSAT in June and didn't get an invite this round, don't panic. I was a June tester last year and didn't get mine until after the September test.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Spykuh

Bronze

Post by Spykuh » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:16 pm

Finally got it! Yayayayayay!

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:17 pm

Spykuh wrote:Finally got it! Yayayayayay!
Congrats Spykuh :mrgreen:.

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:58 pm

Spykuh wrote:Finally got it! Yayayayayay!
I got mine today also.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:51 am

I guess I'm never getting one. Argh. I'm probably just below their 3.5 cutoff.
Has anyone successful emailed them and received a PT invite? I plan on submitting this weekend to Duke and would like to know if LS is def in my cards next year.

Thanks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”