U.S. Embassy Internships

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bird2323

U.S. Embassy Internships

Postby Bird2323 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:26 am

If a student has served as an intern for a U.S. Embassy, how much will law schools factor that in?

Hannibal

Re: U.S. Embassy Internships

Postby Hannibal » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:27 am

It's a soft. So not very much.

Bird2323

Postby Bird2323 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:33 am

Hannibal are you in law school? If not what do you do?

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:34 am

I put boxes into boxes for a living.

Bird2323

Postby Bird2323 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:36 am

ok...this forum is full of clowns...boxes into boxes...anyone else with real insight would be appreciated.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:37 am

Welcome to TLS.

Bird2323

Postby Bird2323 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:40 am

Thanks...I feel like this forum is just a bunch of nerds...no one with any real accomplishments...but then again I am judging everyone based on you...time will tell

Bird2323

Postby Bird2323 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:43 am

Ahh just checked your profile...History major...with time to post on average almost 7 posts a day...go figure...

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:07 am

Bird2323 wrote:Thanks...I feel like this forum is just a bunch of nerds...no one with any real accomplishments...but then again I am judging everyone based on you...time will tell

Bird2323 wrote:Thanks...I feel like this forum is just a bunch of nerds...no one with any real accomplishments...but then again I am judging everyone based on you...time will tell

Bird2323 wrote:Ahh just checked your profile...History major...with time to post on average almost 7 posts a day...go figure...

Lol congrats. Your odds of taking full advantage of a useful resource just went down a ton. Have fun trying to get people to help you when you act like that. Smart move buddy ;).

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:30 am

AAAALLLLLLTTTTT!!!!!!!111 FFFLLLLAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMEEEEEE!!!!!

I couldn't resist.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:02 am

Bird2323 wrote:If a student has served as an intern for a U.S. Embassy, how much will law schools factor that in?

Law schools generally care about the following:

LSAT. 60% (Predictive of law school performance)
GPA. 30% (reflects your ability to be studious and focused over a long period of time)
"Softs." 10% (Shows that you are not an automaton and have good judgement).

Amazing, world breaking softs or in special situations (urm, older applicant, etc.) the above scale may not apply.

So, your internship will either serve to market you well in the aforementioned 10% or it is world breaking. At a t6 school, I think it would be par for the course.

Bird2323

Postby Bird2323 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:30 pm

Knockglock wrote:

Bird2323 wrote:Ahh just checked your profile...History major...with time to post on average almost 7 posts a day...go figure...

Lol congrats. Your odds of taking full advantage of a useful resource just went down a ton. Have fun trying to get people to help you when you act like that. Smart move buddy ;).

Your wicked smart dude...because I could never use a different user name and post items to the page...haha...reasoning skills?...haha...there should be a test you pass before being allowed to post to this forum so truly helpful information is exchanged...

Bird2323

Postby Bird2323 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:31 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
Bird2323 wrote:If a student has served as an intern for a U.S. Embassy, how much will law schools factor that in?

GPA. 30% (reflects your ability to be studious and focused over a long period of time)

Amazing, world breaking softs or in special situations (urm, older applicant, etc.) the above scale may not apply.

So, your internship will either serve to market you well in the aforementioned 10% or it is world breaking. At a t6 school, I think it would be par for the course.

Thank you for your response. It is much appreciated.

Bird2323

Postby Bird2323 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:32 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:

What would be consider world breaking softs?

lawschool2014

Postby lawschool2014 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:32 pm

its an average soft. Nothing too great to brag about. Work on the LSAT

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:33 pm

Bird2323 wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Your wicked smart dude...because I could never use a different user name and post items to the page...haha...reasoning skills?...haha...there should be a test you pass before being allowed to post to this forum so truly helpful information is exchanged...

TLS frowns upon alts.....it's enough to get you banned :wink:.

Bird2323

Postby Bird2323 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:35 pm

I'll keep that in mind

Brassica7

Postby Brassica7 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:47 pm

Basically, softs do not matter that much. Maybe if you were an Olympic athlete, Medal of Honor winner or something like that the soft could have an appreciable impact. If you are black, latino, or Native American, you can get into a better school than your numbers would otherwise indicate. Your internship will make little if any difference in your application cycle because law schools cannot use their students' softs to climb in the rankings. LSAT and GPA have the biggest impact on rankings, so they are basically everything that counts in an application. I suppose if you have some cool softs and the same numbers as someone without any good softs, you will be selected over that other applicant. For good or bad, law school admissions is a numbers game, and nothing you have done with your life will matter in comparison to your LSAT score.

lawschool2014

Postby lawschool2014 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:49 pm

Brassica7 wrote:Basically, softs do not matter that much. Maybe if you were an Olympic athlete, Medal of Honor winner or something like that the soft could have an appreciable impact. If you are black, latino, or Native American, you can get into a better school than your numbers would otherwise indicate. Your internship will make little if any difference in your application cycle because law schools cannot use their students' softs to climb in the rankings. LSAT and GPA have the biggest impact on rankings, so they are basically everything that counts in an application. I suppose if you have some cool softs and the same numbers as someone without any good softs, you will be selected over that other applicant. For good or bad, law school admissions is a numbers game, and nothing you have done with your life will matter in comparison to your LSAT score.

+1

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:01 pm

An American who interned at an American embassy? Now, if you had interned at an Iranian embassy, that would be impressive :D.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:17 pm

Who cares?

What does this have to do with learning law?

Minor soft.

jdhopeful11

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:27 pm

:lol: This fool must have thought that his internship was going to drop the jaws of adcomms. LOL too funny, welcome to reality chump, mostly everyone you're going up against has an impressive internship under their belt. BIG DEAL.

hypothalamus

Postby hypothalamus » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Edit: Ugh, I misread jdhopeful's post.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:43 pm

Tough talk from someone averaging 9 posts a day.

Also, nobody gives a shit about your internship.

Also, GTFO.

Montevillian

Postby Montevillian » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:59 pm

Bird2323 wrote:

What would be consider world breaking softs?

Nothing that you would ever consider doing just because it would help your chances of getting into law school, basically. The question you really should be asking is how to improve your LSAT because, in the end, just a few points on the LSAT mean more than you could ever really do in a lifetime, soft-wise.

Also, grow up. Just because you figured out you want to go to law school doesn't mean you're worth the time it took anyone to respond to your immature comments. And really, I mean that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”