Dealing with my wrap sheet

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Dealing with my wrap sheet

Postby bmb09 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:13 pm

It's come to my attention that I have what some might consider a poor disciplinary record. I'm trying to gauge how much these incidents will affect my applications and figure out what the best way to address them is. Without further ado, here's the hit parade:

1) Spring 2006 - Freshman Year - Non-Academic Honor Code Violation - Pledging activity gone awry resulting in community service
2) Spring 2007 - Sophomore Year - Alcohol Violation - Empty beer cans in the dorm room resulting in community service
3) Summer 2007 – Underage Possession and Trespassing - Dismissed/Nolle Prossed, respectively - Drinking with a friend next to the public lake behind my house, after dark. Had to do a one-day alcohol class and community service to get it dismissed.
4) Fall 2009 - Trespassing - Nolle Prossed - Hanging out on an underage friends porch while he went to another party for an hour. I didn't call him to come vouch for me since he was drunk and would've been cited. I guess I must've been suffering from a bad case of empathy at the time.
5) Winter 2009 - Reckless Driving reduced to speeding (19 over) - Guilty – Paid

Numbers 1 & 2 were through my University, 3 was in my hometown, 4 & 5 were in the jurisdiction surrounding my University.

No other incidents, thank god.

Any help or thoughtful advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Dealing with my wrap sheet

Postby jdhopeful11 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:49 pm

I dont think you have to worry about the nolles. Not sure if the speeding ticket is relevant either.

Re: Dealing with my wrap sheet

Postby BeautifulSW » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:54 pm

You should look up the character and fitness standards for the bar of whichever state you are interested in. Generally speaking, though, bar authorities are concerned about felony convictions, misdemeanor convictions involving "moral turpitude" which means dishonesty, and financial irresponsibility. None of your incidents seems to me to involve these things. A history of DUI can also hurt you and owing back child support can be a deal-breaker. Just so you know.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”