Charting a path to law schools Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OSSAgent19

New

Charting a path to law schools

Post by OSSAgent19 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:28 am

Hi all,

I am entering my last year at a HYPS (really don't mean to show off here, just thought it could be relevant information to get better advice from you all. In fact, I have nothing to show off given my GPA) with a low GPA that will probably end up around 3.2. I had some personal difficulties but probably nothing extenuating enough to justify my GPA with the admission officers. I am not applying to law school straight away but instead getting a job for about 2-3 years. Now I wouldn't orient my entire life (i.e., forcing myself to do things that I hate) just so that I could get into a good law school, but there's no harm in keeping my eyes on the target and doing what I can to put myself in the best position possible. I understand that most of my efforts should be put toward acing the LSAT, but besides the obvious, how do law schools look at soft factors like potential, work experience, public service works, other activities (e.g., freelance writing for newspaper, magazines, etc.)? Can they potentially offset my low GPA? What else during those 2-3 years could boost my case?

If it's any help, I'm hoping for Columbia or NYU. I assume 175+ LSAT and ED would give me a fighter's chance?

Appreciate any advice.

shutterbug

Bronze

Re: Charting a path to law schools

Post by shutterbug » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:04 am

The percentage of all LSAT takers scoring 175+ is so incredibly low that it is ridiculously presumptious for you to be expecting to score it this far ahead of the game. Have you taken any practice tests?

MURPH

Silver

Re: Charting a path to law schools

Post by MURPH » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:24 am

Sure a 175 would give you a chance. In addition apply early in the cycle. Submit a great PS, accomplish great stuff at work and get good LORs. (Keep in touch with your professors.)
You'll get a chance. No promises. I have 2.98 and 175 I got into UCLA, not T-14 but not bad.
getting a 175 is not easy. Practice, use PithyPike's method. Teach someone else how to take the LSAT, then you can crack 175.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”