BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PwnLaw

BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby PwnLaw » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:21 pm

Did this once before. Just finished up a trip to LA for E3 and unwinding whilst I watch a bit of World Cup.

I can answer questions on what it's like to be an associate (particularly in entertainment), school selection, and best practices for LSAT studying.

I'll be around for a few hours and might check back in occasionally thereafter.

Cavalier

Re: BigLaw Associate (T-14, LSAT Instructor) Taking Questions

Postby Cavalier » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:26 pm

Do you enjoy your job? Any regrets so far?

Lolschool

Postby Lolschool » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:29 pm

average weekly schedule?

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:29 pm

Cavalier wrote:Do you enjoy your job? Any regrets so far?

I actually enjoy it. I'm definitely in the minority, but the work is varied, I have a lot of responsibility and the people I work with are well adjusted. It's a rare confluence of events, but it happens.

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:31 pm

Lolschool wrote:average weekly schedule?

I would say I do work related activities about 60 hours a week. I've spiked up to 130 hours in a week. I'd say I normally bill between 40 and 50 hours a week. It's all highly variable though. A lot will depend on your practice group and the people you work with in that group.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:31 pm

If you make it to BigLaw, how does one go about establishing into a practice area (e.g. IP/media, M&A, litigation, etc)? From your experience, is it solely based on background and the discretion of your firm, or do you request related work once you get there?

Also, did you get to use the Kinect when you were at E3?

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:39 pm

NoleinNY wrote:If you make it to BigLaw, how does one go about establishing into a practice area (e.g. IP/media, M&A, litigation, etc)? From your experience, is it solely based on background and the discretion of your firm, or do you request related work once you get there?

Also, did you get to use the Kinect when you were at E3?

Practice group selection will depend largely on your firm. Some firms will slot you in a group immediately (you'll often get a chance to rank a few different groups, but you'll end up where you're needed in most cases). Other firms will have you rotate for a few years. Typically the best way to end up in a particular group is to identify and then impress a partner with sway in that particular group. Occasionally background will be very important (patents), but for the most part lawyers are an indistinguishable mass of liberal arts types so background doesn't matter much.

I did use the Kinect. I think it will be very similar to the Wii -- open up a new variety of games with a high novelty value, but it's not likely to replace precision gaming. Slight lag as well. Definitely going to be a problem for the PS3's move.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:07 pm

Would you be opposed to PMing me the name of your firm? I wouldn't want to out you, I just want to find out how many (if any) alumni from the school I plan on attending work there.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:07 pm

Any advice on bearing the wait to get your score?
Got any general advice as whether to retake or not?

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:17 am

A Team...not so good.

On waiting: No advice. It is what it is. I generally say to focus on other things and avoid law school related web sites (such as this one).

On retaking: Very context dependent. My general view is that you should always consider a retake if you think you could score significantly higher (5+ points more) with additional preparation.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:18 am

Please post your thoughts on the new 3DS so I can prove a point to the chumps in the lounge.

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:20 am

PKSebben wrote:Please post your thoughts on the new 3DS so I can prove a point to the chumps in the lounge.

I'm not wild on handhelds to begin with, but it certainly moves the ball forward. I think the no glasses 3D tech is interesting, but I find it a bit gimicky on such a small screen.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:21 am

PwnLaw wrote:
PKSebben wrote:Please post your thoughts on the new 3DS so I can prove a point to the chumps in the lounge.

I'm not wild on handhelds to begin with, but it certainly moves the ball forward. I think the no glasses 3D tech is interesting, but I find it a bit gimicky on such a small screen.

You're not helping.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:23 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:23 am

PKSebben wrote:
PwnLaw wrote:

You're not helping.

You think it's a revolution?

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:26 am

NYAssociate wrote:Do you think iPhone 4 will pwn gaming as we know it?

Also, I saw the ships feature of ToR. Doest hat mean we can fly our ships around space?

I think Apple will pwn the iPhone before it pwns gaming. Some of their new dev policies really make things difficult on game developers.

Hard to say. The guys over at Bioware do not mess around with their games and I can see them having that as a possibility. Last time I talked to them they were pretty tight lipped.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:31 am

PwnLaw wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
PwnLaw wrote:

You're not helping.

You think it's a revolution?

I've learned not to count out Nintendo on quasi-gimmicky devices. My friends that made it to E3 (without me, thanks BARBRI) were really amazed by it. I think you hit the nail on the head though -- no-glasses tech on a large screen, if possible, could be a game changer. The current generation 3D, which Sony is going all-in with, I'm not convinced at all.

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:34 am

Haha, got burned by Virtual Boy?

The market Sony is going after right now is basically non-existent. People just upgraded their TVs recently, it'll be a few years before 3D TVs are in the household and people are producing significant content (shows/games) for it. I think Sony is taking the longer view on things, but I can't help but think this push is a little early.

waldodanto

Postby waldodanto » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:42 am

In Sony's defense, they took the long view on blu ray and that looks like it will work out for them.
I'm not a huge fan of the motion controls in any games, since I like the games that reward minute skill differentials which I don't think motion controls can reward, but the one area I think game developers have been ignoring is voice controls. Anybody remember Socom for PS2? I think that was the first game with a mic, and in the single player you could order your allies around verbally, which surely was not the best way to impress women but damn was it smart.
That stuff never really took off even though everybody with a 360 owns a mic, but maybe the Kinect will get the verbal component back into single player.

PwnLaw

Postby PwnLaw » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:46 am

waldodanto wrote:In Sony's defense, they took the long view on blu ray and that looks like it will work out for them.
I'm not a huge fan of the motion controls in any games, since I like the games that reward minute skill differentials which I don't think motion controls can reward, but the one area I think game developers have been ignoring is voice controls. Anybody remember Socom for PS2? I think that was the first game with a mic, and in the single player you could order your allies around verbally, which surely was not the best way to impress women but damn was it smart.
That stuff never really took off even though everybody with a 360 owns a mic, but maybe the Kinect will get the verbal component back into single player.

I like this analysis.

And I don't think Sony is being foolish, I just think they're giving a lot of ground in the short-term and they may not be able to make that up (see the PS3 v. Xbox).

Mirrored

Postby Mirrored » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:49 am

As an LSAT instructor, I wanted to know what method you recommend.

I am taking the october LSAT and I am beginning studying this week. I have a lot of different books including every prep test and quite a few different courses (kaplan, testmasters, etc) that friends donated to me.

However, I am thinking of doing largely self study. Without much studying (4 hours only) I got a 165 in a real simulated condition test.

I do not know what gains I can expect from studying, but I think they could be substantial.

My thought process is:

1) Take 2 diagnostic LSATs more.
2) Use a resource to learn how to handle sections (Logic Games Bible, Logical Reasoning Bible, + Testmaster approach to Reading Comp).
3) Take 2 LSATs a week, 1 timed on the weekend, 1 untimed.
4) After doing that for a month, find problem areas.
5) Do work on problem areas for about 16 hours a week, take 1 timed LSAT on weekends for about 8 weeks.
6) Continue with 10 hours a week of sections, do 1 double length lsat on weekends (8 sections in one sitting with 15 minute breaks only).
7) Continue to focus on score, lighten load and relax, 1 last trial LSAT before the main event.
8) Great sleep and diet, go to the real deal, kick ass.

How does this sound? I have friends in nearly every course and can get any of their leftover materials.

Mirrored

Postby Mirrored » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:52 am

PwnLaw wrote:
waldodanto wrote:In Sony's defense, they took the long view on blu ray and that looks like it will work out for them.

I like this analysis.

And I don't think Sony is being foolish, I just think they're giving a lot of ground in the short-term and they may not be able to make that up (see the PS3 v. Xbox).

I disagree with it.

Bluray has still not been quite a commercial success-- digital distribution looks like it is going to surpass bluray before it even becomes relevant technology.

I think Sony is again jumping into a technology before the Next Big Thing knocks it away. Bluray was killed by Digital Distribution.

PKSebben

Postby PKSebben » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:53 am

Sony is also looking for significant short-term movement on LCDs which must be driven largely by 3D. 60% increase on LCDs this year is quite ambitious. Some solid analysis of Sony's fiscal year earnings at the always fantastic Dubious Quality blog.

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2010 ... erent.html
http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/2010 ... sonys.html

Sorry to hijack your thread but the video game talk is my siren song.

waldodanto

Postby waldodanto » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:54 am

PwnLaw wrote:I like this analysis.

I'm putting this in my next email to you. Yeah, I'm the annoying UCLA kid who emails you all the time. I swear I don't come to this site that much, but I always seem to be here on the nights you are bored, soliciting questions. Now give that poor kid some LSAT tips :wink:

waldodanto

Postby waldodanto » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:56 am

Mirrored wrote:I think Sony is again jumping into a technology before the Next Big Thing knocks it away. Bluray was killed by Digital Distribution.

All sony has to do is remind the broadband companies that they can now freely throttle bandwidth and digital distribution is dead... damn, there is so much money involved in how/if/when the broadband companies are determined to be "common carriers" or not.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”