Would you sell your family's legacy for law school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SpaceDawg

Bronze

Re: Would you sell your family's legacy for law school?

Post by SpaceDawg » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:09 am

Donate the land to the people. HTH.

Canarsie

Bronze

Post by Canarsie » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:12 am

romothesavior wrote:True, but there are times when using the old name is TCR (such as using Burma instead of Myanmar and Saigon instead of Ho Chi Minh City).
Agreed but I do not think this is one of them. Personal opinion perhaps.

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:20 am

Sell the land, quick. And don't accept a penny less than this:

--ImageRemoved--

MJMD

Bronze

Post by MJMD » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:20 pm

-

lonerightly

New

Post by lonerightly » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Thought I would update this with the decision I made.

I ended up selling my land as part of an add-on to a larger deal my father put through, appears to be the only way I would have gotten a fair price. A few days before the deal was supposed to close the buyer backed out. When word got out that the property was for sale it was overrun by squatters. I've basically lost all hope of recovering the land, and the keeper is barely able to hold on to the house, but probably not for much longer without risking his life unfortunately. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:34 pm

lonerightly wrote:Thought I would update this with the decision I made.

I ended up selling my land as part of an add-on to a larger deal my father put through, appears to be the only way I would have gotten a fair price. A few days before the deal was supposed to close the buyer backed out. When word got out that the property was for sale it was overrun by squatters. I've basically lost all hope of recovering the land, and the keeper is barely able to hold on to the house, but probably not for much longer without risking his life unfortunately. :(
It's Africa; you can't just beat them off your land or something?

lonerightly

New

Post by lonerightly » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:40 pm

rad law wrote:

That would require a small army, and South African mercenaries aren't cheap, and keeping the land out of their hands would be equivalent to another battle of isandlwana.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:46 pm

lonerightly wrote:
rad law wrote:

That would require a small army, and South African mercenaries aren't cheap, and keeping the land out of their hands would be equivalent to another battle of isandlwana.
Fortify your compound, get some Martini-Henrys, and re-enact Rorke's Drift?

But seriously, I sympathize with your situation. What's the next move?

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:51 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:Donate the land to the people. HTH.
Credited.
lonerightly wrote: When word got out that the property was for sale it was overrun by squatters. I've basically lost all hope of recovering the land, and the keeper is barely able to hold on to the house, but probably not for much longer without risking his life unfortunately. :(
Last edited by Burger in a can on Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lonerightly

New

Post by lonerightly » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:52 pm

rad law wrote:
lonerightly wrote:
rad law wrote:

Well the South African mercenaries idea isn't too far fetched. My father employs a mixed group of south african/british/rhodesian former military to protect his investments, so I may have that option if I bother him about it.

Frankly though, the likely hood of reacquiring my land and making a sale on it is very unlikely. I realise now that if I ever do get it back I'll probably just hold on to it for as long as possible.

Merr

Bronze

Post by Merr » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:53 pm

rad law wrote:
lonerightly wrote:
rad law wrote:

+1

I guess sometimes it sucks to have land in the third world.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:56 pm

lonerightly wrote: Well the South African mercenaries idea isn't too far fetched. My father employs a mixed group of south african/british/rhodesian former military to protect his investments, so I may have that option if I bother him about it.

Frankly though, the likely hood of reacquiring my land and making a sale on it is very unlikely. I realise now that if I ever do get it back I'll probably just hold on to it for as long as possible.
Haha I know it's not too far fetched. Any chance you can just clear em off some time in the future, or will they get too entrenched? Otherwise, git r dun I say.

TheBigMediocre

Silver

Post by TheBigMediocre » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:01 pm

Haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned the fun fact that Mugabe actually outlawed inflation, as in, "Inflation is now illegal. Stop it."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:03 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:Haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned the fun fact that Mugabe actually outlawed inflation, as in, "Inflation is now illegal. Stop it."
If Mugabe weren't so egregiously shitty, he'd be pretty lulzy.

lonerightly

New

Post by lonerightly » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:07 pm

rad law wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:Haven't read the entire thread, but has anyone mentioned the fun fact that Mugabe actually outlawed inflation, as in, "Inflation is now illegal. Stop it."
If Mugabe weren't so egregiously shitty, he'd be pretty lulzy.
I'd also still have my land :cry:

mpasi

Bronze

Post by mpasi » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:07 pm

lonerightly wrote:
Your right, Ian Smith, the UDI, Rhodesian Front, white people, they played a big part in what is going on. But Mugabe has had over 30 years now to improve things, and yet he's been no better than Smith, perhaps some may argue worse.

Americans are so quick to point out the injustices in other countries, yet Apartheid pretty much was invented by Americans
I was somewhat sympathetic to you until I read this. I don't know what it is about certain white Africans and refusing to acknowledge that your ancestors fucked things up for native Africans, but it has to stop.

Mugabe is supposed to magically reverse the primary and secondary implications that hundreds of years of British colonialism left behind in not even a third of the time...right. Dude, if that's the best argument you can make about the political situation there, you really shouldn't waste your time with law school. Seriously, racial segregation existed long before America came to existence.

Dumbass.

As for your family's land...sell it.

Bryan

New

Post by Bryan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:10 pm

Last edited by Bryan on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lonerightly

New

Post by lonerightly » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:16 pm

mpasi wrote:
lonerightly wrote:
Your right, Ian Smith, the UDI, Rhodesian Front, white people, they played a big part in what is going on. But Mugabe has had over 30 years now to improve things, and yet he's been no better than Smith, perhaps some may argue worse.

Americans are so quick to point out the injustices in other countries, yet Apartheid pretty much was invented by Americans
I was somewhat sympathetic to you until I read this. I don't know what it is about certain white Africans and refusing to acknowledge that your ancestors fucked things up for native Africans, but it has to stop.

Mugabe is supposed to magically reverse the primary and secondary implications that hundreds of years of British colonialism left behind in not even a third of the time...right. Dude, if that's the best argument you can make about the political situation there, you really shouldn't waste your time with law school. Seriously, racial segregation existed long before America came to existence.

Dumbass.

Have you ever been to Africa?
I plenty acknowledged that there exists the possibility of my ancestors having an effect on the current situation in Rhodesia, sure, but to criticize me, a person born outside of UDI apartheid for simply being born white in Africa doesn't make a lot of sense.
I love America, I would never leave this place, I love the people everything. But saying that I somehow had something to do with the current situation in Rhodesia is analogous to me saying that those kids up in cabrini green living off food stamps are doing so because of you.

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:17 pm

I see that my 'tar has been used in this post. I am compelled to post.

That is all.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:18 pm

mpasi wrote:Mugabe is supposed to magically reverse the primary and secondary implications that hundreds of years of British colonialism left behind in not even a third of the time...right.
Lulz at your attempt to even remotely say something good about Robert Mugabe.

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:18 pm

I approve of this thread.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:18 pm

lonerightly wrote:
mpasi wrote:
lonerightly wrote:

Dumbass.

Have you ever been to Africa?
I plenty acknowledged that there exists the possibility of my ancestors having an effect on the current situation in Rhodesia, sure, but to criticize me, a person born outside of UDI apartheid for simply being born white in Africa doesn't make a lot of sense.
I love America, I would never leave this place, I love the people everything. But saying that I somehow had something to do with the current situation in Rhodesia is analogous to me saying that those kids up in cabrini green living off food stamps are doing so because of you.
Dude you obviously need to pay them reparations. That ought to do it.

lonerightly

New

Post by lonerightly » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:22 pm

Bryan wrote:I always thought the term 'whenwe' was only used pejoratively. I didn't know people referred to themselves with it. OP- has the word been reclaimed?
There is a large Rhodesian community living in South Africa who are referred to by South Africans as whenwes because of their predisposition to saying "when we were in Rhodesia..." I don't think it's ever really been a bad thing, but nowadays it's mostly synonymous with old-rhodesian.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:27 pm

lonerightly wrote: Have you ever been to Africa?
I plenty acknowledged that there exists the possibility of my ancestors having an effect on the current situation in Rhodesia, sure, but to criticize me, a person born outside of UDI apartheid for simply being born white and inheriting a shitload of land that is stained with the blood of generations of native Africans, and getting upset that I can't sell this unjustly owned land in order to afford my fancy American law degree, doesn't make a lot of sense.
fixed for you :)

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:30 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
lonerightly wrote: Have you ever been to Africa?
I plenty acknowledged that there exists the possibility of my ancestors having an effect on the current situation in Rhodesia, sure, but to criticize me, a person born outside of UDI apartheid for simply being born white and inheriting a shitload of land that is stained with the blood of generations of native Africans, and getting upset that I can't sell this unjustly owned land in order to afford my fancy American law degree, doesn't make a lot of sense.
fixed for you :)
I'm gonna go find some Seminoles and give my land back right now!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”