160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:12 pm

They told me there is a spot available for me off the wait-list and would like to know if I am still interested.

This is a pretty big decision, so I will need to give you guys all the information to help me.

First of all, I believe with my numbers, Pitt Law was a definite reach. Thanks to my GPA, I believe the T-14 is already impossible for me no matter how well I do on the LSAT. I have also taken the LSAT 4 times (with one cancel), so I really don't think retaking it again would reflect very well on my application. Although the 160 is about 10 points below my best PT (yeah, I essentially fucked up the test 4 times), I am still not sure if I should retake the LSAT in the near future. I just can't do well on standardized tests.

With that out of the way, I should also mention I am a very boring person with practically zero softs and nothing to write about on my PS, which is why I am pretty thrilled Pitt Law is willing to take me, albeit very late in the cycle. Moreover, I really like the city of Pittsburgh quite a lot and would love to experience life there (I live in Canada right now). Finally, I wanted to go to law school not because I want to make money at a BigLaw, but because I have always been innately interested in law. Every time I see the word "law," it elicits a unique feeling in me, which I don't get from "medical" or "business." Hell, I swear Arrested Development stole my Bob Loblaw joke from me as my name is Robert Lo and I have always joked about starting a law firm called Bob Lo Law.

On a serious note, the only concern I do have is that I will definitely be paying sticker (I mean, with my numbers, I'm lucky to even get an acceptance). However, I plan on working in the New England region and New York instead of Canada, so even though other students from better schools in that region will have a big head-start on me, it's won't be as bad as me trying to find a job in Canada.

One last thing is I was already set on working for a few years because I was getting rejected everywhere. I even planned on joining the military. However, now that Pitt Law is opening up for me, I have to make a pretty big decision.

So I guess in short, what I am asking...should I accept Pittsburgh's offer or wait a few years, get more working experience, retake the LSAT and try to crack the T-14?

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby quadsixm » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Why a few years? WE doesn't matter, and the LSAT only takes a few months of study.

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:17 pm

quadsixm wrote:Why a few years? WE doesn't matter, and the LSAT only takes a few months of study.


Well, as I have already taken the LSAT 4 times, the earliest I could take it again is next June or October I believe.

And I was thinking of working a few years to earn money for law school and distance myself away from the GPA a little bit.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:19 pm

Go to Pitt if you want to live & work in that geographic area. Pittsburgh is a great city.

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby quadsixm » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:23 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
quadsixm wrote:Why a few years? WE doesn't matter, and the LSAT only takes a few months of study.


Well, as I have already taken the LSAT 4 times, the earliest I could take it again is next June or October I believe.

And I was thinking of working a few years to earn money for law school and distance myself away from the GPA a little bit.


Earning money is a good thing. If that's the smartest financial decision for you, then go for it. Working for a few years to distance yourself from your GPA doesn't work. Believe me, I've tried, but my results are in line with everybody else with the same numbers. It's all about raising that LSAT.

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby pjo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:24 pm

Hey, initially I was going to tell you to go to Pitt. It’s a great school, really. But after reading a little bit more, I think you might be better suited to wait. For one, I really do think Pitt is worth sticker, but only for in state residents that are willing to work in Pittsburgh. I think Pitt OOS is like 36k or more and frankly it’s just not worth that much. Also, I don’t think going to Pitt would be of that great of help to you for working in New England and/or NY. As the poster above said your plan B doesn’t have to be so detailed. Really just study some more and try to bring your LSAT up a few points (it doesn’t have to be a 170, but like 163 would help). I would try and do something interesting to supplement your application and possibly make up (or at least mitigate) your GPA. Lastly, you don’t want Biglaw so you don’t have to go to a T14 (nor should you if you get into a top regional school with money – as far as your goals are concerned). If I were you I would apply to UConn, BU, Northeastern, BC, and Fordam and just go to whichever one gives you a decent scholarship. Fact is all of those schools would be better suited to the region which you would like to work. hope this helps
Last edited by pjo on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DavidYurman85
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:55 am

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby DavidYurman85 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:24 pm

i would wait.

your gpa, a few yrs of work, and a new lsat score could put you in a good position for some of the lower T14s and T20s. i only say this because of your career goals. while i don't know much about pitt, i'm not sure that they have the national portability to secure employment in the new york/new england area.

plus, you have time to distance yourself from the economy.

MJMD
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby MJMD » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:26 pm

Can you get funding, to pay sticker? Are you a U.S. citizen in Canada who is eligible for U.S. student loans, or do you have savings, or do you have family members who are willing to support you?

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby scribelaw » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:27 pm

How much would you have to borrow, total, to go to Pitt?

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:29 pm

MJMD wrote:Can you get funding, to pay sticker? Are you a U.S. citizen in Canada who is eligible for U.S. student loans, or do you have savings, or do you have family members who are willing to support you?


Initially, I was hoping I could earn money to support myself if I had to wait a few years. But if I do decide to attend Pitt this year, my family would most likely be willing to support me. And I'm a Canadian citizen, so I don't think I'm eligible for US student loans.

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:32 pm

pjo wrote:Hey, initially I was going to tell you to go to Pitt. It’s a great school, really. But after reading a little bit more, I think you might be better suited to wait. For one, I really do think Pitt is worth sticker, but only for in state residents that are willing to work in Pittsburgh. I think Pitt OOS is like 36k or more and frankly it’s just not worth that much. Also, I don’t think going to Pitt would be of that great of help to you for working in New England and/or NY. As the poster above said your plan B doesn’t have to be so detailed. Really just study some more and try to bring your LSAT up a few points (it doesn’t have to be a 170, but like 163 would help). I would try and do something interesting to supplement your application and possibly make up (or at least mitigate) your GPA. Lastly, you don’t want Biglaw so you don’t have to go to a T14 (nor should you if you get into a top regional school with money – as far as your goals are concerned). If I were you I would apply to UConn, BU, Northeastern, BC, and Fordam and just go to whichever one gives you a decent scholarship. Fact is all of those schools would be better suited to the region which you would like to work. hope this helps


The thing is with my awful GPA, do you really think I can get in UConn, BU, Northeastern, etc? Even assume I managed a 166 on the LSAT, wouldn't they be hesitant to take me?

I am actually really shocked I managed to get into Pitt, as LSN and every other predictor had it as an auto-ding for me.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:35 pm

You've taken the LSAT 4 times how, and 160 is your score. You need to decide if you would go to a school that takes a 160, or not. Getting a better LSAT probably won't happen. I probably wouldn't go to Pitt, but you probably won't do better.

Get a job. In a couple years maybe prep for the LSAT again, try for 172+, ED to Northwestern.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby scribelaw » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
MJMD wrote:Can you get funding, to pay sticker? Are you a U.S. citizen in Canada who is eligible for U.S. student loans, or do you have savings, or do you have family members who are willing to support you?


Initially, I was hoping I could earn money to support myself if I had to wait a few years. But if I do decide to attend Pitt this year, my family would most likely be willing to support me. And I'm a Canadian citizen, so I don't think I'm eligible for US student loans.


If your family pays the whole thing, then maybe it's not a bad option for you. (Although it is for them).

But you're going to have zero employment prospects in New England and New York from Pitt. Pitt's OCI gets pretty much no firms from that area (--LinkRemoved--).

If it's free thanks to your parents, and it's what you want to do, I could see going to Pitt with modest expectations. Just recognize you'll likely have to scrape for a legal job in Pittsburgh or a nearby city (Morgantown, etc).

If you have to borrow sticker, this is not a wise investment.

(In the T-14, your only shot would be getting a 172+ and applying ED to Northwestern, if you have some work experience. But since you've taken the LSAT four times already, this doesn't seem likely).

User avatar
HazelEyes
Posts: 192
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby HazelEyes » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:38 pm

Go to Pitt.

dukelawguy144
Posts: 139
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:04 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby dukelawguy144 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:42 pm

Be very careful about the debt. Pitt law placemet is not that great. If you cant imagine doing anything else but law and do not have anything interesting to fill up your time, then you already know the answer to your question. I would not want to go to law school if I was paying sticker.

I wish you good luck. Its a difficult decision to make!

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:43 pm

If we somehow ignore the job prospect of Pitt, how is it overall as a law school?

I know it's ranked 67 right now and I've read the Pittsburgh profile on TLS 10 times or so. I get that it's a great city and the law school offers a solid education, but does anyone have any other information on the school?

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby pjo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:44 pm

scribelaw wrote:I could see going to Pitt with modest expectations. Just recognize you'll likely have to scrape for a legal job in Pittsburgh or a nearby city (Morgantown, etc).


Scrape for a legal job??? That’s a little harsh. Pitt grads do just fine in Pittsburgh. OP, going over this again I do see your point, your GPA would be hard to overcome. If your parents are going to pay then yea I would go to Pitt. Keep in mind tho, to achieve your goals your going to have to do well, which I hope you would take as a golden opportunity to put your ugpa far behind you, (if you do well in law school ppl won’t care how you did in undergrad). You’ll also have to most likely work in Pittsburgh for a while and then try to move to another region.

User avatar
CG614
Posts: 825
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:26 am

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby CG614 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:46 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:I have also taken the LSAT 4 times (with one cancel), so I really don't think retaking it again would reflect very well on my application. Although the 160 is about 10 points below my best PT (yeah, I essentially fucked up the test 4 times), I am still not sure if I should retake the LSAT in the near future. I just can't do well on standardized tests.



So, a 170 is your best PT, but what is your average? Sorry, but given the sample here, the 170 looks more like the outlier.

MJMD
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby MJMD » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:46 pm

It's good that your family is willing to support you, although, that being the case, it doesn't sound like you would be eligible for in-state tuition after your first year, which would be a blow. Everything I've heard about Pitt makes it seem like it would be a really good school. A lot of what other people have said so far, about waiting and earning some money first, also seems very rational, but honestly, based on your post, I would advise you to go now. Your family may not be willing to pay later, and it honestly sounded as though the alternatives (e.g., joining the military) are pretty dire. If you can somehow avoid debt, with your parents eating the cost, and move forward from there, then it doesn't make sense to delay the increased earnings you would have as a lawyer (something you say you've always wanted to be) by finding some meagre employment now. It certainly wouldn't help you build a better resume for your application.

If you just can't do well on standardized tests, and have already tried the LSAT four times, then I don't see how you can justify hanging your future hopes on improvements there. Honestly, you do sound like you really, really want to be a lawyer, and so you should take this chance and move forward while you have the momentum. I think you may hate yourself if you delay and end up missing the opportunity altogether: trust me, I've talked to so many wistful older people this year who've said "Oh, I was gonna be a lawyer" or "I always wanted to be a lawyer" that it's not even funny.

User avatar
pjo
Posts: 610
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby pjo » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:47 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:If we somehow ignore the job prospect of Pitt, how is it overall as a law school?

I know it's ranked 67 right now and I've read the Pittsburgh profile on TLS 10 times or so. I get that it's a great city and the law school offers a solid education, but does anyone have any other information on the school?


viewtopic.php?f=23&t=119980

that thread covers a ton of stuff about Pitt and the legal market in Pittsburgh. If you have any other specific questions about the school I'd be happy to do my best to answer them

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:50 pm

CG614 wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:I have also taken the LSAT 4 times (with one cancel), so I really don't think retaking it again would reflect very well on my application. Although the 160 is about 10 points below my best PT (yeah, I essentially fucked up the test 4 times), I am still not sure if I should retake the LSAT in the near future. I just can't do well on standardized tests.



So, a 170 is your best PT, but what is your average? Sorry, but given the sample here, the 170 looks more like the outlier.


Yeah, it was definitely the outlier. I would say my average is round 164-166. It would probably be very difficult for me to crack 170 on the LSAT even if I put in the time and effort.

User avatar
scribelaw
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby scribelaw » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:53 pm

pjo wrote:
scribelaw wrote:I could see going to Pitt with modest expectations. Just recognize you'll likely have to scrape for a legal job in Pittsburgh or a nearby city (Morgantown, etc).


Scrape for a legal job??? That’s a little harsh. Pitt grads do just fine in Pittsburgh. OP, going over this again I do see your point, your GPA would be hard to overcome. If your parents are going to pay then yea I would go to Pitt. Keep in mind tho, to achieve your goals your going to have to do well, which I hope you would take as a golden opportunity to put your ugpa far behind you, (if you do well in law school ppl won’t care how you did in undergrad). You’ll also have to most likely work in Pittsburgh for a while and then try to move to another region.


I don't see how that is harsh. Pitt is a regional school in a small legal market, and firms have cut back on hiring dramatically.

It's still better positioned than a lot of other T2s, though, because it has a home market it does well in.

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:55 pm

pjo wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:If we somehow ignore the job prospect of Pitt, how is it overall as a law school?

I know it's ranked 67 right now and I've read the Pittsburgh profile on TLS 10 times or so. I get that it's a great city and the law school offers a solid education, but does anyone have any other information on the school?


viewtopic.php?f=23&t=119980

that thread covers a ton of stuff about Pitt and the legal market in Pittsburgh. If you have any other specific questions about the school I'd be happy to do my best to answer them


Thanks a lot, you've been a great help to me in this thread.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:03 pm

How much would Pitt cost you? And where are you from?

If it is cheap and you have ties to the area, I would say go to Pitt, but only iif you REALLY want to be a lawyer and are content with the possibility of working for very little. But I disagree with everyone saying to take time off and re-take; you've taken the LSAT 4 times. I don't think you are going to do significantly better.

To be honest, I'd say forget law school. I know that is harsh, but it may be your best decision from a financial and career standpoint. But if you must be a lawyer out of some burning passion for the law, you can go for a cheap price (aka less than 70k), and you have some ties to the area and think you can get a job, then go for it.

User avatar
flyingpanda
Posts: 824
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:32 am

Re: 160/2.75. I got an e-mail from Pittsburgh Law Today.

Postby flyingpanda » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Did you really just out your IRL name?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: proteinshake, tinyvessels and 3 guests