Disclosure after acceptance

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Johnny edawrds

Disclosure after acceptance

Postby Johnny edawrds » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:48 pm

I have been accepted to one of my top-choice law schools. They have recently sent a e-mail emphasizing the importance character and fitness disclosure's. I did not disclose a dismissed MIP from 5 years ago because the attorney that got my MIP dismissed said they were not going find it, and it wasn't a big deal. Now I feel the pressure to disclose the MIP. The application basically states that offenses that have been expunged or or sealed need not to be reported, along with any class c traffic violations, however, outside of those categories it seems like it covers everything else under the sun including accusations.

My question is, how should I go about disclosing this information ( I made an honest ignorant mistake), and secondly, any law students who have sat for character and fitness evaluations, how extensive is the background check?

kalvano

Re: Disclosure after acceptance

Postby kalvano » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:06 pm

You'll be fine, but do tell them right away. Also tell them why you left it off.

And fire that lawyer. He's an idiot.

LoyolaLaw2012

Postby LoyolaLaw2012 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:12 pm

You must disclose. No question about it.

profs<3mycomments

Postby profs<3mycomments » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:14 pm

I was in exactly your situation. I wrote an email, made it clear that I did not mean to deceive and my top priority was to play by the rules. They responded immediately and were totally cool about it. The lower-ranked schools who were YPing me all summer, on the other hand, were totally bitchy about it.

ScaredWorkedBored

Postby ScaredWorkedBored » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:36 am

Dear [Good School's Admission Office]

This letter concerns an update to my application in keeping with [continuing application rule]. I have to amend my answer to Question [criminal history]. My prior answer was incomplete due to what I, after reviewing the language of the question, believe to have been incorrect advice.

[One or two sentence MIP arrest disclosure]

Sincerely,

[You]

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”