What is a decent lsat score for Black Male for NYU Columbia? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bk1

Diamond

Re: What is a decent lsat score for Black Male for NYU Columbia?

Post by bk1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:44 pm

Thread nosedive incoming.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:52 pm

Jkf esq wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Jkf esq wrote:I'm curious to know what a decent lsat score would be for an african american man to get into nyu, columbia, or other top tier law schools? Please be honest folks we can admit that the scale is different
Dont even ask these questions.. approach your cycle as if there was no URM treatment..
If only if were that easy. But the fact of the matter is affirmative action rules the day. I remember high school all too well. Watching the non-URM valedictorian go to a state school while the 21st rank URM went to Princeton. Nauseating.

I that was the case the the parents of the non- URM minority should be shackled. listen the truth of the matter is that standardized tests are biased against URM's and unless you are comfortable with law schools being full of "waspy men" then certain concessions need to be made. As we all know law school isnt a cake walk for any color or class and once you get in you have to stay in. And unless you descend from great Britain and can trace your roots back there newsflash you or one of your family members once benefited from being an "URM"
Oh god.. by crafting this post you just gave anyone who wants to argue against the "inherent bias" of standardized testing plenty of ammo.

Jkf esq

New

Post by Jkf esq » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:02 am

without my point being further skewed or misconstrued In this nations short history not only AA have benefited from being an URM

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:07 am

Jkf esq wrote:without my point being further skewed or misconstrued In this nations short history not only AA have benefited from being an URM
Agreed. But none of my Irish-American ancestors benefited from being URMs. Nor did your ancestors benefit from being URMs. Asians in the 1800s didn't "benefit" from being URMs, and neither did Native American URMs. Obviously URMs have always existed, but there was no benefit of being one. There was no recourse.

A very small minority of minorities in a very specific timeframe have had the benefit of a URM boost. That's what made your sentence (the bolded statement in your post above) so ridiculous.

But I do agree with what you just said. African-Americans are not the only ones who get a URM boost. And the URM boost is a good thing overall. Mr. Papagiogio's statement was ignorant, no doubt about that; just don't make absurd statements with no basis in history to support what you are saying, because it only hurts your cause.

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:56 am

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iamcutdacheck

New

Post by iamcutdacheck » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:26 am

tkgrrett wrote:
Jkf esq wrote:I'm curious to know what a decent lsat score would be for an african american man to get into nyu, columbia, or other top tier law schools? Please be honest folks we can admit that the scale is different
Dont even ask these questions.. approach your cycle as if there was no URM treatment..
Chuuuch (for my fellow URM) :lol:

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:14 pm

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:37 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
That seems sort of silly---he's likely to undershoot in terms of school selection if he does that. Some URMs manage to get into top schools with number combination that nearly no white or Asian applicant would ever get in with(minus some extraordinary story and curing cancer or something). No reason to sell himself short by going by the White+Asian standard for numbers and chances. I get the idea of pride--I don't need URM treatment, I will approach my cycle as if there wasn't one--but it seems like a strange stand in that the person is giving up a chance at better schools...for what...a stand of principle that will have absolutely no effect on anything? They're better off taking advantage of the boost, going to a better school that they might not have been able to get into without the boost, and then *kicking butt* once they get there academically(and career-wise) to prove that they can do it. The latter plan seems to me like the better path.
You misinterpreted what tk said, honey. He just meant that URMs shouldn't be concerned with the bare minimum when it comes to what LSAT score will make the cut to break into top schools. He didn't mean you shouldn't identify as a URM. You should still utilize your URM status if you have one, but a URM, like any other non-URM, should shoot for the very best LSAT/GPA combo, and not depend on the boost to compensate for any glaring inadequacies in their overall candidacy. I don't see how anyone would undershoot in terms of school selection if they follow this approach.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:42 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:50 pm

acrossthelake wrote:My apologies, then! I think the misinterpretation came at the point in the process. He meant before the numbers were done(before the GPA was final and you got the best LSAT you can) to not depend on URM and underaim for GPA & SLAT, whereas I was thinking about after the numbers were final when selecting where to apply. I agree that before numbers are final, approach as if not an URM, but when selecting reaches, take it into account.
Honest mistake :)

<3

digitalcntrl

Bronze

Post by digitalcntrl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:18 pm

Jkf esq wrote:
I that was the case the the parents of the non- URM minority should be shackled. listen the truth of the matter is that standardized tests are biased against URM's and unless you are comfortable with law schools being full of "waspy men" then certain concessions need to be made.
East and South Asians tend score higher than whites on standardized tests. Does that mean that the tests are biased against wasps??
Jkf esq wrote: As we all know law school isnt a cake walk for any color or class and once you get in you have to stay in. And unless you descend from great Britain and can trace your roots back there newsflash you or one of your family members once benefited from being an "URM"
No one benefitted from being a URM before the 1970s or so when programs like AA kicked in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”