Top-Law-Schools.comTLS
Home
Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums
 
Forum Index     Latest Posts     Forum Search     Mobile (on/off)     See Also: Rankings/Profiles   Interviews   LSAT Prep   TLS Stats


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 129
Edited for obvious reasons


Last edited by recaldo on Thu May 20, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm
Posts: 21673
Wrong forum, but I'll answer anyways.

From what I have read about GPA addendums, people have said not to treat them like a PS. Instead your goal is to lay out the facts and let the adcomms make the decision whether or not your GPA is inaccurate as to your actual potential.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 3:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 129
Edited for obvious reasons


Last edited by recaldo on Thu May 20, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:19 am
Posts: 105
An addendum is supposed to be very brief, no longer than 1 paragraph, giving basic facts. Your entire first paragraph doesn't even say anything.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 129
does it suck or not??


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm
Posts: 3321
.


Last edited by d34d9823 on Fri May 21, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 129
It's a GPA Addendum, not a statement.

Also, there was no theasaurus used, so I don't know why you say that.

Lastly, what doy ou mean by vague melodramtic stuff? The point is to show the reader how I felt for years and how I suffered for years - the point of any good writing. I think it successfully does that? No?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am
Posts: 13604
kalvano wrote:
Jesus. A GPA addendum? It's more like a personal statement.

It needs to be about a paragraph. Skip the hyperbole.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 129
Where is the rule about skipping hyperbole(which I can turn down a little) and having it be a paragraph?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am
Posts: 13604
The rule is that each school gets about 6,000 applications, give or take. Each application includes a personal statement. The last thing you want to do is piss them off by adding a ton more reading.

Aside from that, it's totally unnecessary. This should be something like "I had x issue at his time, and that's why my GPA is lower than it could be. Please don't take my GPA as fully representative of my academic capabilities."

That's it. This isn't going to help you much, if at all. A decent reason for a lower GPA might put you ahead of other applicants with exactly the same stats, but no good reason.


You've written entirely too much and they probably won't read it. 4-5 sentences at the most.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm
Posts: 21673
http://www.top-law-schools.com/writing- ... endum.html

There are no "rules." However, there are things that will make your GPA addendum well received and things that won't.

This is not the place to show you have overcome an obstacle and show that through flowery prose (that is what your PS is for, if you choose to talk about an obstacle), instead it is your chance to put forth legitimate reasons out of your control that caused you to have a low GPA. If the adcomms feel that you are trying to persuade them then it will likely hurt your GPA addendum. The point here is to be short, concise, and factual. It should be organized as "Fact. Fact. Fact." Not as "Flowery prose describing a fact. Flowery prose describing a fact. Flowery prose describing a fact."

Scrap your current addendum. Write a new one that is short and to the point. Let the adcomms decide, do not try to interpret the situation yourself, that will not help you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:33 am
Posts: 73
Yeah it sucks. You make it sound as if you went bat shit crazy for a period. For the love of God DO NOT make yourself sound crazy. You say your over it but what's to keep you from becoming emotionally unstable the next time something in your life falls apart? I don't believe any sane person can be "over it" after going through that kind of shit. Not sure if your brother is a half brother as a result of an affair or if he was adopted. In addition, I'm not really sure if your dad got killed by the plane or not. OH and what's this shit about being an orphan and not knowing one's past? Sounds like you had roots and know your past. The next mention of being an orphan is after the plane hit your apartment but by then you were an adult so by definition not an orphan.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 129
kalvano wrote:
The rule is that each school gets about 6,000 applications, give or take. Each application includes a personal statement. The last thing you want to do is piss them off by adding a ton more reading.

Aside from that, it's totally unnecessary. This should be something like "I had x issue at his time, and that's why my GPA is lower than it could be. Please don't take my GPA as fully representative of my academic capabilities."

That's it. This isn't going to help you much, if at all. A decent reason for a lower GPA might put you ahead of other applicants with exactly the same stats, but no good reason.


You've written entirely too much and they probably won't read it. 4-5 sentences at the most.


your saying this isn't a good reason? are you kidding me?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am
Posts: 13604
I'm saying it's poorly written, far too long for what it is, and that it won't help you all that much.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:17 pm
Posts: 33
Good story, but perhaps one you should tell in your PS.

1) don't repeat information from your PS. If your PS is about this, then there is no need to drag it out here. A short simple "I was going through some tough family situations that are now resolved, please see my PS for more info" is sufficient.

2) If you aren't including this information in your PS, STILL make it as brief as possible (maybe 3-4 sentences) and back it up with a few checkable facts. Maybe something along the lines of "Was in a long term abusive situation that was thankfully resolved when x was arrested in Anytown, USA on 01/01/01". Not accusing you of lying or exaggerating, but it's just comforting to a person reading it that they can go to a record and look up something to verify the statement.

3) You don't have to talk about your perseverance or triumph over adversity in a GPA addendum. You have your personal statement to outline these qualities in yourself. An admissions official has mere minutes to look at your app in most cases. There just isn't enough time to look at everything in the packet if it's this long. The purpose of the addendum is limited to: "here's the reason for what you see there, here's why it won't be a problem in law school". Even though your situation isn't a simple one, do the best you can to simplify.

Remember that one of the key qualities of a successful law school student is cutting through billowy prose to get to the heart of the matter and that is what they will be looking for on your app, too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 129
CEEJ22 wrote:
Yeah it sucks. You make it sound as if you went bat shit crazy for a period. For the love of God DO NOT make yourself sound crazy. You say your over it but what's to keep you from becoming emotionally unstable the next time something in your life falls apart? I don't believe any sane person can be "over it" after going through that kind of shit. Not sure if your brother is a half brother as a result of an affair or if he was adopted. In addition, I'm not really sure if your dad got killed by the plane or not. OH and what's this shit about being an orphan and not knowing one's past? Sounds like you had roots and know your past. The next mention of being an orphan is after the plane hit your apartment but by then you were an adult so by definition not an orphan.


-Exactly. You don't think any sane person can be "over it" after going through that kind of shit. Yet, I am functioning, working at a prestigious places, and graduated from a top university. I even led groups while at the universtiy. The point is that where most people would have faltered, I kept going. I overcame the adversity that few people could do. So it's good you think what you think, cause it shows just how far I have come.

-There is nothing in there about going bat shit crazy. It's hard to focus on work when you are as depressed as I was.

-Your part about being an orphan kinda shows you dont get it. With not roots, stability, or past, it is hard for someone in undergrad to be able to cognizant of what may be putting them in a different direction that anyone else. Like, I said in the opening statement it has taken years look back and realize I was rootless and floating around.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 129
kalvano wrote:
I'm saying it's poorly written, far too long for what it is, and that it won't help you all that much.


lol. taking advice from you would be dangerous.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm
Posts: 3321
I'm calling flame on this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am
Posts: 13604
You're not an orphan. Orphans by definition have no family.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am
Posts: 13604
recaldo wrote:
kalvano wrote:
I'm saying it's poorly written, far too long for what it is, and that it won't help you all that much.


lol. taking advice from you would be dangerous.



Sorry it sucks. Try harder next time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 129
Pisto3 wrote:
Good story, but perhaps one you should tell in your PS.

1) don't repeat information from your PS. If your PS is about this, then there is no need to drag it out here. A short simple "I was going through some tough family situations that are now resolved, please see my PS for more info" is sufficient.

2) If you aren't including this information in your PS, STILL make it as brief as possible (maybe 3-4 sentences) and back it up with a few checkable facts. Maybe something along the lines of "Was in a long term abusive situation that was thankfully resolved when x was arrested in Anytown, USA on 01/01/01". Not accusing you of lying or exaggerating, but it's just comforting to a person reading it that they can go to a record and look up something to verify the statement.

3) You don't have to talk about your perseverance or triumph over adversity in a GPA addendum. You have your personal statement to outline these qualities in yourself. An admissions official has mere minutes to look at your app in most cases. There just isn't enough time to look at everything in the packet if it's this long. The purpose of the addendum is limited to: "here's the reason for what you see there, here's why it won't be a problem in law school". Even though your situation isn't a simple one, do the best you can to simplify.

Remember that one of the key qualities of a successful law school student is cutting through billowy prose to get to the heart of the matter and that is what they will be looking for on your app, too.


Pisto. Thank you. I agree with your assesments. It will be difficult to put concisely, especially in 4 sentences. I will try to do this. I was planning on not talking about this on my personal statement, I wanted to talk about more things related to justice and how I will never not be able to help someone who has suffered an injustice as a result of my experiences. But I also wanted them to know this side of my character so show about the adversity. I guess the addendum will just have to be changed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 129
kalvano wrote:
recaldo wrote:
kalvano wrote:
I'm saying it's poorly written, far too long for what it is, and that it won't help you all that much.


lol. taking advice from you would be dangerous.



Sorry it sucks. Try harder next time.


Have fun at Lewis and Clark.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:30 am
Posts: 129
kalvano wrote:
You're not an orphan. Orphans by definition have no family.


That's the point of the story.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 4:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm
Posts: 3321
recaldo wrote:
kalvano wrote:
recaldo wrote:
lol. taking advice from you would be dangerous.



Sorry it sucks. Try harder next time.


Have fun at Lewis and Clark.

Dude, I normally make fun of kalvano as much as anyone, but seriously, everything he told you in this thread is right on. Your statement is too long, melodramatic, and makes you come off as borderline insane. I try to take it easy on the new kids, but don't come here and then insult people who give you good advice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: GPA Addendum - Sample
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm
Posts: 462
recaldo wrote:
kalvano wrote:
You're not an orphan. Orphans by definition have no family.


That's the point of the story.


I didn't even get far enough in to the addendum to even know what you two are discussing. For an addendum, it is too much.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fellytone and 18 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  
Login     TLS home     TLS forums     TLS wiki     Terms of Service     Privacy Policy     Copyright Policy     Contact     powered by phpBB