Morse's Agenda (let's keep it real) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PDaddy

Gold

Morse's Agenda (let's keep it real)

Post by PDaddy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:11 pm

Personally, I think Bob Morse and the powers that be at USNWR knew exactly what they were doing when they decided how to handle the law rankings. It seems that the other rankings don't depend nearly as much on the standardized exam scores (like b-schools and the GMAT). What are the reasons for this?

I believe they have two agendas:

1) Make $$$$$$$$$ (of course)
2) Keep blacks and other ethnic minorities out the legal profession

Keep blacks out of law schools and out of the profession. That is why so much weight goes to "student quality", which is determined mostly by LSAT score. And we all know how ethnic minorities do on the LSAT compared to their White and Asian counterparts. If you keep Blacks, Hispanics and other URM's out of law schools - especially the elite ones - you cripple their communities' ability to protect themselves within the criminal justice system and, to a slightly lesser degree, the civil legal arena.

This exerts a high level of control over the most disenfranchised people in the country without anyone being able to provide a direct link. These types of things have been done throughout history in this country, and they have almost always worked.

If we want the rankings madness to stop, the first step is to replace the LSAT with a better test...and fast!

stratocophic

Gold

Re: Morse's Agenda (let's keep it real)

Post by stratocophic » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:16 pm

Storm's a comin'

grobbelski

Bronze

Post by grobbelski » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:17 pm

I'll keep it real. Do the people that run an fairly successful news magazine sit around and plot how to keep underrepresented minorities oppressed? Or is actually more systemic?

sanpiero

Silver

Post by sanpiero » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:18 pm

:lol:

jgrin

Bronze

Post by jgrin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:19 pm

I'll keep it real,

White people are disadvantaged from getting into law school. It common knowledge that if you are a URM then your number don't have to be as high.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

luhrenzo

Bronze

Post by luhrenzo » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:21 pm

you have provided no motive for usnwr to keep the minorities out. the motive for making $ is obvious. quit blaming everything on racism. URMs get a significant boost in admissions decisions. If any ethnicity should be upset it's hispanics as there is an even more disproportionate representation in law school than blacks yet the boost we see for the two races leans in favor of blacks.

Unemployed

Silver

Post by Unemployed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:21 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:23 pm

I'll give OP credit for one of the more creative attempts I've seen at creating a URM admissions policy throwdown.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:25 pm

Mr. Bob Morse's thoughts on keeping minorities out of law school for the express purpose of landing them in jail:
--ImageRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:29 pm

Everything PDaddy writes makes me want to:

Whatever school you go to should get a deduction for "student quality."
Last edited by romothesavior on Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:29 pm

PDaddy is a jokster, it's time he gets banned. (I was going to compare him to Kurama, but maybe he is Kurama)

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:37 pm

I agree, let's replace the LSAT with that other test we created that does a better job of predicting law school succes. I don't know why we haven't done it sooner.

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:44 pm

Posts like these are so stupid.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:48 pm

luhrenzo wrote:you have provided no motive for usnwr to keep the minorities out. the motive for making $ is obvious. quit blaming everything on racism. URMs get a significant boost in admissions decisions. If any ethnicity should be upset it's hispanics as there is an even more disproportionate representation in law school than blacks yet the boost we see for the two races leans in favor of blacks.
Credited. How about the tons of Hispanics from shithole countries that get NO boost simply because they aren't Mexican or PR.

OP is a whiny bitch, imo.

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:57 pm

IBTL

iamtaw

Bronze

Post by iamtaw » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:57 pm

--ImageRemoved--

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:58 pm

PDaddy wrote:Personally, I think Bob Morse and the powers that be at USNWR knew exactly what they were doing when they decided how to handle the law rankings. It seems that the other rankings don't depend nearly as much on the standardized exam scores (like b-schools and the GMAT). What are the reasons for this?

Keep blacks out of law schools and out of the profession. That is why so much weight goes to "student quality", which is determined mostly by LSAT score. And we all know how ethnic minorities do on the LSAT compared to their White and Asian counterparts. If you keep Blacks, Hispanics and other URM's out of law schools - especially the elite ones - you cripple their communities' ability to protect themselves within the criminal justice system and, to a slightly lesser degree, the civil legal arena.

This exerts a high level of control over the most disenfranchised people in the country without anyone being able to provide a direct link. These types of things have been done throughout history in this country, and they have almost always worked.

If we want the rankings madness to stop, the first step is to replace the LSAT with a better test...and fast!
Irrefutable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:02 pm

PDaddy wrote:Personally, I think Bob Morse and the powers that be at USNWR knew exactly what they were doing when they decided how to handle the law rankings. It seems that the other rankings don't depend nearly as much on the standardized exam scores (like b-schools and the GMAT). What are the reasons for this?

I disagree. I think you can be a very fine lawyer and protect your community without going to an "elite" lawl school.

Thurgood Marshall went to Howard and he was able to do just fine protecting his community.

Elite schools don't provide any different of an education than the lower ranked schools. They are all supervised by the ABA.

The only agenda is to make $$$.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:03 pm

nycparalegal wrote:

I disagree. I think you can be a very fine lawyer and protect your community without going to an "elite" lawl school.

Thurgood Marshall went to Howard and he was able to do just fine protecting his community.

Elite schools don't provide any different of an education than the lower ranked schools. They are all supervised by the ABA.

The only agenda is to make $$$.
preach it to me.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:08 pm

However with replacing the LSAT, the funny thing is what you are tested on and learn in law school is nothing like the LSAT, so I somewhat agree. But this whole conspiracy theory thing is[strike]a little[/strike] VERY crazy. I bet the LSAC is just way too lazy and makes way too much money to make a new test. Like number one said: "Make $$$$$$$$$ (of course)"
Last edited by charlesjd on Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:09 pm

PDaddy wrote:If we want the rankings madness to stop, the first step is to replace the LSAT with a better test...and fast!
Let's start by finding a standardized test that blacks don't under perform on so we have something to model the new LSAT on... hmm wait what's this? Blacks score lower on all standardized tests even when accounting for socio-economic status? Who knew?

If we accept that blacks are not inherently less intelligent (and I do, please don't yell at me) it seems that standardized tests themselves are the problem.

Instead of systematically accusing the establishment of racism or gutting one of the most statistically valid standardized tests ever created why don't we just correct for the statistical differences between the races? You know, like, black applicants could get a boost on their LSAT scores relative to white and Asian test takes.... something far fetched like that....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:09 pm

You are:

[ ]. A good troll.
[x]. A stupid person.

Based on his past posts, hes either an extremely dedicated troll or a terrible, terrible case of severe mental atrophy. I go with the second.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:10 pm

--ImageRemoved--

nycparalegal

Bronze

Post by nycparalegal » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:10 pm

Wouldn't you say a better reason why African Americans are under-represented in the legal profession is that as a group African Americans don't finish or get their undergraduate degrees?

Anyone, with a college degree, can go to law school. There are even law schools who take 140 LSAT.

charlesjd

Bronze

Post by charlesjd » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:12 pm

nycparalegal wrote:Wouldn't you say a better reason why African Americans are under-represented in the legal profession is that as a group African Americans don't finish or get their undergraduate degrees?

Anyone, with a college degree, can go to law school. There are even law schools who take 140 LSAT.
+1

Those who do best on the LSAT, that are gunners, that freak you out because they remember everything in class, usually are median or B students. Funny thing is the dude that wears a hat everything and sits int he back is the A student and probably got a 25th percentile LSAT. So the LSAT doesn't really mean much to be honest. Don't get all crazy.

YOU SOUND LIKE A.................................Image

/thread.
Last edited by charlesjd on Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”