Any benefit if I did the LSAT in June over October?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chrisbforever

Any benefit if I did the LSAT in June over October?

Postby chrisbforever » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:25 am

I ask because i'm currently registered to take the June exam, however, i'm thinking of holding it off until October if I feel that i'm still not ready. I was trying to do it in June to apply to my law schools as early as possible. Another quick question, one of the law schools I want to apply to only requires 2 recommendations, but I can get a third one. Do I just specify on the LSAT recommendation print out that "do not send to X school, but send to all others"? Thanks.

joonhp

Re: Any benefit if I did the LSAT in June over October?

Postby joonhp » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:08 am

if you're consistently scoring at your goal range on PT's by mid may I say take the June exam. the theme the past few years has been apply EARLY!! when you apply to law schools you specify which recs go to where on the LSAC website. some schools allow for more than they require...others don't....don't worry about it

acash09

Postby acash09 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:34 am

1) I held off for the October exam, and I wish I hadn't.

2) as for LOR's - If you want an additional one for a specific school, print out another LOR form (it'll have a different #on it). It's okay to have more than one LOR form for a specific recommender. For example, I had someone I worked for write me a general LOR, but to his alma mater I had him write a tailored one.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:56 am

There are a lot of benefits to taking in June (if you are ready):

1. If you aren't happy with your results, you get another chance. The differences between people submitting Sept. 1 and Halloween aren't that huge, but the differences between Halloween and New Year's Day are enormous.

2. The test timing is convenient if you are someone that functions comparatively better at noon than at 8 AM. For me, the 8 AM was actually easier because I tire at the end if we start at noon and finish at, say, 6 (my June test center was really slow. This seemed to be a common theme). However, a lot of people like to actually wake up for a bit before testing.

3. The June LSAT gives you the rest of the summer to take your PS and other supplements seriously, instead of studying for the LSAT. This is just a bonus of freeing yourself from the application process that much earlier.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:31 am

If you go in June, you can submit your apps as soon as the applications open. You can also cancel your score if you feel like you bombed a section, then take it in September/October. Most schools will start looking at apps as soon as they open (UVA promises 14 days after they receive your ED app, you'll have a decision - imagine how nice it would be to know mid-September where you are going!).

chrisbforever

Postby chrisbforever » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:59 pm

Would my chances skydive if I take it in October in reference to getting into law school? Now i'm thinking I should just take it in June AND October if my June score does not pan out the way I want. What do you guys think?

jman77

Postby jman77 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:33 pm

Also, you may give yourself the benefit of getting more fee waivers early enough (and save on a couple hundred bucks) if you take the LSAT in June and get a good enough score.

Of course, if you're not ready for the June LSAT, then take the October one by all means.

charlesjd

Postby charlesjd » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:36 pm

Last edited by charlesjd on Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r2b2ct

Postby r2b2ct » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:45 pm

I understand that it is best to take the June test for several reasons, but exactly how much of an advantage do you people think applying in Sept. has versus November? I'm having a hard time believing that there is a huge difference. I agree that June is advisable mainly because you can still take it in October, but I'm still curious about the difference between taking in June and using your June score to apply super early vs. using your October score to apply in early November.

Wheretogo2013

Postby Wheretogo2013 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:01 pm

GeePee wrote:There are a lot of benefits to taking in June (if you are ready):

1. If you aren't happy with your results, you get another chance. The differences between people submitting Sept. 1 and Halloween aren't that huge, but the differences between Halloween and New Year's Day are enormous.

2. The test timing is convenient if you are someone that functions comparatively better at noon than at 8 AM. For me, the 8 AM was actually easier because I tire at the end if we start at noon and finish at, say, 6 (my June test center was really slow. This seemed to be a common theme). However, a lot of people like to actually wake up for a bit before testing.

3. The June LSAT gives you the rest of the summer to take your PS and other supplements seriously, instead of studying for the LSAT. This is just a bonus of freeing yourself from the application process that much earlier.

+1. The advantage on getting your apps in early is so huge and you have another opportunity to take it over...If you don't feel that confident, just cancel your score after taking it.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:49 pm

charlesjd wrote:June.

Later time to take the test. I took it in October which SUCKED. 8 AM is dreadful.

Also, like others said, this gives you more time to get your apps ready/ fee waviers, etc.

JUNE JUNE JUNE.

+1.

I'd say the June LSAT rules over the others precisely because it is an afternoon test. It's hard for me to get my mind working that early, or get a good night's sleep with an 8am test.

If you're ready for the June test, no reason not to take it. And the earlier that you can apply, the better your results. Especially at places where you aren't an auto-admit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”