Please help..bunch of waitlists Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
zenaida

New

Please help..bunch of waitlists

Post by zenaida » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:39 pm

Hello everyone,

Following my "awesome" LSAT score, I kinda stopped coming here b/c I was getting depressed ..aaaanyway..but now I need y'alls help. I applied on the last day of January for 13 schools and so far I have only heard from 5 and was wait listed at the following: UVA, Notre Dame, GW, Duke, Univ. Of Penn Law (rejected at Georgetown). I sent in only 2 LORS for all and a diversity statement as well as personal statement. What should I do at this point? Should I submit an LOR, a LOCI, another essay? ... Would these make a difference at all...I'd love to hear from some people that actually got off the wailist and what they did. I was only thinking reject or accept so all these waitlists are messing me up...I'm not prepared haha. Let me know what I should do.

xiening

New

Re: Please help..bunch of waitlists

Post by xiening » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:07 pm

Submit LOCI as fast as you can. Look, this year's applicant and people who taking the LSAT increased significantly, which means your LSAT score quality is diminishing. (two reasons: 1, the school maybe more selective;2. related to the first one, 97percentile means top 300 if total population who took the same LSAT as you is 10,000, but drop to top 600 if the whole population raise to 20,000), indeed, my conclusion under the assumption that the total seats available for top 14 are going to be constant even they going to meet more applicant. That is the reason I think, why this year we are facing more waiting list than the previous years.
Now, say if the admission council down to 5 potential candidates, 3 of them apply by early Oct, and this probably the 2nd or 3rd time that they review these files, the other 2 sent in around the end of Jan and they had to rush through their applications. On the mean while, 3 who applied by the early Oct send in an nice and interesting LOCI and their update resume 5 days within the waiting list notice was sent. and the other 2 applicant just standing there and do nothing. I going to say the answer was quiet clear, those 3 will at least gain the priority if there is any spot is avaliable.
Conclusion: Send LOCI to the law schools' that you interested in. Best of luck!

zenaida

New

Post by zenaida » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:14 pm

thanks! ...so do you think they even looked at my application or just automatically waitlisted me? I went complete for most of them at the end of february.

I saw there's a lot of info about LOCI and threads ...what should I include specifically? I haven't really done anything different b/c I sent them in February ..

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:47 pm

If you were waitlisted at said schools, then your LSAT wasnt as bad as you think it was.

Send in a short and super sweet LOCI and try to visit as many schools as you can. See if you can meet with someone and plead your case.

Good luck!

xiening

New

Post by xiening » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:43 pm

zenaida wrote:thanks! ...so do you think they even looked at my application or just automatically waitlisted me? I went complete for most of them at the end of february.

I saw there's a lot of info about LOCI and threads ...what should I include specifically? I haven't really done anything different b/c I sent them in February ..
Sure, I do think mention a specific program (but not necessary the most well-known, i will explain why later) may help. I do think you should send in an LOCI as fast as you can, complete the application in Feb is consider late, (it is like taking a train, the first few stops people usually gets the seats, those who came later will have to stand, yes yes assumption: there is not enough seats available) so if you will act, why not act faster?
Regarding how to write the LOCI, i know many people mention a school well-know program for that school, E.X: Santa Clara--IP law, Lewis & Clark ---Environment, GW--IP Law, etc. But do a bit more study you will find out that some programs may not unique for a particular school but still consider strong. E.X: if not mistaken, I know that International law for GW is ok too. Reason to do that: not mention a selling point for a school but a secondary "strong" program will show them that you really do your homework, everyone knows T14 are good for many programs, most of the people also know that NW is business oriented school, and majority people know Berkerly is a GPA whole, but show them sth different may stand out your LOCI.

But this is what I do and I got in my one of my top choice (I receive a offer 1 week after I send them the LOCI), is it a cause/result relationship? I dont know, In fact, I believe there are many other reasons that they offer me the spot, but I still believe my LOCI was helping me to gain that spot. Anyways, as always, best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”