Dear class of 2013: A little more grace Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
femme

New

Re: Dear class of 2013: A little more grace

Post by femme » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:55 pm

OP, you sound very immature. No matter how much you complain about 0Ls crashing asw events, they are still going to show up. Just ignore them and move on with your life.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:57 pm

presh wrote:Oh, OP.

If blow job jokes bother you, you are screwed in law school, sweetie.

In fact, fairly recently a group of 1Ls at my T1 were sitting in the cafeteria discussing BDSM and weird fetishes. If you don't lighten up a little bit, law school will be miserable. It's just sex.

The arrogant students are annoying. But annoying students will exist anywhere you go.
On the other hand, sex is just sex, and the novelty wore off a long time ago, and there really isn't much left to giggle over. I can see myself participating in a discussion, but blowjob jokes are just lame at this point for me. I go through this at my UG, I don't have much time for that. If you really like sex that much, go have more sex instead of sitting around talking about it and laughing it up. I have a hunch that people who get blowjobs all the time don't joke about it much. It's like the boys and girls who brag about sex in HS are most likely the ones who don't get any.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:09 pm

Matter of personal taste on the shitty jokes, including the BJ jokes.

This will out me to anyone who somehow didn't know who I was already, but my quoted movies of choice are Happy Gilmore, Ace Ventura, and Super Troopers. On TV, it's South Park. So, you know, that's sort of my taste in humor. A buddy recognized a Mallrats reference that I dropped the other day, which was a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, like everything else, different strokes for different folks.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Well just as the OP shouldn't tell others to have more grace, others shouldn't be telling OP to lighten up. Different strokes, we all fit in somewhere right?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:Well just as the OP shouldn't tell others to have more grace, others shouldn't be telling OP to lighten up. Different strokes, we all fit in somewhere right?
I think we're on to something here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Speedzie

New

Post by Speedzie » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:54 pm

In fact, fairly recently a group of 1Ls at my T1 were sitting in the cafeteria discussing BDSM and weird fetishes. If you don't lighten up a little bit, law school will be miserable. It's just sex.

The arrogant students are annoying. But annoying students will exist anywhere you go.
Yup. Law students are actually just normal 20 somethings, only they're extra stressed and might just drink/party harder. Seriously, lighten up.

Edit: oh yeah, and there's something to remember about ASDs. Yes, the faculty and staff are doing their best to sell you on the school, but for the students, they're just going to school like normal.

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:12 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
dwoof wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
dwoof wrote:To say you meant Guido without any connotation of race implies that you don't understand the meaning of the insult.

Guido (English pronunciation: /ˈɡwiːdoʊ/) is a slang term for a working class or lower class urban Italian American.
a slang term not an epithet.
Umm, a slang term can be an epithet...
But it does not have to be. You citied it being called a slang term to show that it's a racial epithet which it is not.
It's more of an ethnic slur. But yeah, it's offensive. It's only OK because Italian Americans (like myself and others on this board) don't really care to make it an issue. It isn't a term that should be liberally used in reference to any dark skinned Italian American with hair product in (which I never use, but that's not the point). That's kind of unfair and the term really has a negative connotation.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:23 pm

r6_philly wrote:

On the other hand, sex is just sex, and the novelty wore off a long time ago, and there really isn't much left to giggle over. I can see myself participating in a discussion, but blowjob jokes are just lame at this point for me. I go through this at my UG, I don't have much time for that. If you really like sex that much, go have more sex instead of sitting around talking about it and laughing it up. I have a hunch that people who get blowjobs all the time don't joke about it much. It's like the boys and girls who brag about sex in HS are most likely the ones who don't get any.
+1

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:40 pm

BDSM is serious stuff that requires a certain degree of intelligence (if you want some good setups) and intellect (if you want to extract the maximum amount of psychological and physical pleasure). BJ jokes on the other hand are just cheap. I would be intrigued by the former but annoyed by the latter.

I understand your pain, OP.

From someone who regretted not applying to the Kinsey Institute while having the chance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:02 pm

violinst wrote:

BDSM is serious stuff that requires a certain degree of intelligence (if you want some good setups) and intellect (if you want to extract the maximum amount of psychological and physical pleasure). BJ jokes on the other hand are just cheap. I would be intrigued by the former but annoyed by the latter.

From someone who regretted not applying to the Kinsey Institute while having the chance.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:20 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:Super Troopers.

Shenanigans.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:27 pm

I understand wanting a more mature student body. I was at NU's ASW and I didn't meet anyone like you described. I think filtering out the ugrad kiddies is a huge benefit.

But I wouldn't want to go to a law school that didn't have blowjob jokes.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I understand wanting a more mature student body. I was at NU's ASW and I didn't meet anyone like you described. I think filtering out the ugrad kiddies is a huge benefit.

DF you have the most grace imo

and I resent the bolded cause I think you would love to go to school with me

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

violinst

Bronze

Post by violinst » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:45 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
violinst wrote:

Picture (link) saved for future usage. Thanks!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:01 pm

Daytukrjabs wrote:I am one of those average applicants who started out with a 144 diagnostics on the LSAT. Upon rejections after rejections last year (0 for 7, no WL), I gathered myself and improved my study habits to finally earn my 95% mark on the September LSAT 09. My cycle this year is a lot different (7 ins, a few WL, 2 dings, and 4 pending). I had the privilege of attending a few T14 and T1 ASDs.
good job dude

I feel generally the same, but I find that I often become a dbag myself when confronted with the dbaggery of others. It's a tough road to travel. Good luck
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:03 pm

calicocat wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I understand wanting a more mature student body. I was at NU's ASW and I didn't meet anyone like you described. I think filtering out the ugrad kiddies is a huge benefit.

DF you have the most grace imo

and I resent the bolded cause I think you would love to go to school with me
Is that what Canadians call blow jobs?

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:29 pm

violinst wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
violinst wrote:

Picture (link) saved for future usage. Thanks!
I try. Every so often I succeed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:07 am

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

mb88

Bronze

Post by mb88 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:59 am

ITT: Whiney pseudo-intellectuals arguing over who is more mature.

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:19 am

Daytukrjabs wrote:I also realized that last year's various Q&A event with Law Adcom panel was nothing but finger banging students with a load of P.I programs and how their school considers soft-factors as much as the GPA/LSAT.
Blowjob jokes: immature... "finger-banging" jokes: epitome of class.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:44 am

ughOSU wrote:
Daytukrjabs wrote:I also realized that last year's various Q&A event with Law Adcom panel was nothing but finger banging students with a load of P.I programs and how their school considers soft-factors as much as the GPA/LSAT.
I don't wanna go to school with anyone who calls finger blasting, finger banging.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ughOSU wrote:
I don't wanna go to school with anyone who calls finger blasting, finger banging.
I honestly can't believe anyone could say it seriously. Whenever I hear/see it I think of the south park episode.

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:

In fact, fairly recently a group of 1Ls at my T1 were sitting in the cafeteria discussing BDSM and weird fetishes.
This is too funny.. Profound wisdom about what ones tolerance for blow job jokes says about the outcome of ones life. Funny how condescending you sound giving such silly advice.

And the second line seems more revealing about the type of people you hang out with than the OPs future. Let the man rant.

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:23 am

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fark-o-vision

Silver

Post by Fark-o-vision » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:45 am

This thread wins for taking up where my previous favorite thread left off.

What's the difference between your paycheck and your dick?

You don't have to beg your wife to blow your paycheck!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”