Which schools have the biggest buzz going? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PDaddy

Gold

Re: Which schools have the biggest buzz going?

Post by PDaddy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:59 am

existenz wrote:Michigan has a major new complex opening up in Jan. 2012. But I don't think construction really matters when it comes to "buzz" or how good a law school is.
Well, it can make a school operate much better, and the perception can entice better applicants or make admitted students think twice about turning down their offers. And that can make a school move up in the rankings if the numbers are right.

Cara

New

Post by Cara » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:18 am

This is a funny thread.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:23 am

Get this - I hear Cooley is going to be moving up the rankings, big time.

Get in now while you still can.

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:27 am

blsingindisguise wrote:Further, the idea of law school "buzz" is laughably shallow. Do you think Article III judges and Biglaw hiring partners sit around saying "Hmm, I think we should take more Vanderbilt people this year - there's a real BUZZ around it."
Funny, that is literally what was happening at UCI's ASD the other day. Biglaw partners and federal judges going on about what a buzz there is after 10 years of waiting for UCI students - and a 1L told me that buzz got her 1L placement with a judge for the summer, who said he normally wouldn't take a 1L, but because of the buzz about UCI... odd, but real

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:47 am

ruleser wrote:[strike]Funny, that is literally what was happening at UCI's ASD the other day. Biglaw partners and federal judges going on about what a buzz there is after 10 years of waiting for UCI students - and a 1L told me that buzz got her 1L placement with a judge for the summer, who said he normally wouldn't take a 1L, but because of the buzz about UCI... odd, but real[/strike]
/waterman groupie

also:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:59 am

Michigan was once #3, not #1, sry. +1 on NYU they treat their star faculty like fucking MLB starters. Everyone comes, no one leaves.
Last edited by Veyron on Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sikwitt

New

Post by sikwitt » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:29 am

jmaan wrote:
sikwitt wrote:
KG_CalGuy wrote:After attending NYU's admitted student days it seemed quite evident to me that they are aggressively trying to move up in the rankings via lateral hires, promotion of clerkships, and their continued "emphasis" on public interest (even though it's a minority of the students. They've also undertaken a construction project to expand the school's facilities. Don't know how much of a "buzz" they have going and whether or not they can edge out CLS this year in the rankings.

+1

i love ur tar sikwitt.....20/5/5

chasing history

BenJ

Silver

Post by BenJ » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:40 am

Veyron wrote:Michigan was once #3, not #1, sry. +1 on NYU they treat their star faculty like fucking MLP starters. Everyone comes, no one leaves.
Michigan was considered the best law school in the country back a long time before the rankings were around. That is, back when Harvard and Yale were still stuffed with rich legacies who bought their ways in, a practice that ended in the law schools around thirty-forty years ago.

Anyway, NYU is definitely investing huge amounts of money into stealing everyone else's top faculty, while NYU isn't losing faculty members themselves. They're definitely making a play for trying to permanently surpass Columbia in the long term. But everyone is thinking long-term to some extent, and it's very difficult to predict who will improve and who will not.

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:59 am

Veyron wrote:+1 on NYU they treat their star faculty like fucking MLP starters. Everyone comes, no one leaves.
This is definitely true.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:02 am

In what way? After the ASW a week or so ago I had pizza and beer with a group of current Enviro Law students, and they mentioned, among other things, NYU having pulled a prof from Columbia. One of the things they did was to purchase the rights to her apartment in some UWS castle-thing for her. I'm trying to figure out what drew her away (given that Columbia already owned the rights to the place).

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:18 am

clintonius wrote:In what way? After the ASW a week or so ago I had pizza and beer with a group of current Enviro Law students, and they mentioned, among other things, NYU having pulled a prof from Columbia. One of the things they did was to purchase the rights to her apartment in some UWS castle-thing for her. I'm trying to figure out what drew her away (given that Columbia already owned the rights to the place).
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/20/reale ... 0&emc=eta1

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:28 am

Page not found :(

qualster

Bronze

Post by qualster » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:39 am

Iowa, Wisconsin, UC Irvine, Wake, and Cornell were hot schools this year. People were lovin' them some Iowa, Wake, Irvine, Cornell and Wisconsin in '09-'10.

I'm not saying that these schools are jumping in the rankings (UC Irvine is of course not yet ranked), but people have been expressing high interest and TLS threads have indicated mass warm and fuzzy feelings for these schools.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:18 pm

atttorney

New

Post by atttorney » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:43 pm

calicocat wrote:
ruleser wrote:[strike]Funny, that is literally what was happening at UCI's ASD the other day. Biglaw partners and federal judges going on about what a buzz there is after 10 years of waiting for UCI students - and a 1L told me that buzz got her 1L placement with a judge for the summer, who said he normally wouldn't take a 1L, but because of the buzz about UCI... odd, but real[/strike]
[strike]/waterman groupie[/strike]
Yay. I can strikeout entire posts, as well. This is fun.

BioEBear2010

Silver

Post by BioEBear2010 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:51 pm

The Munger residence halls at Stanford are pretty damn awesome (just saw them on Friday):

--ImageRemoved--

tru

Bronze

Post by tru » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:33 am

Last edited by tru on Fri May 20, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:01 am

atttorney wrote:
calicocat wrote:
[strike]/waterman groupie[/strike]
Yay. I can strikeout entire posts, as well. This is fun.

lol Whose alt are you? Bastard.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”