I was "mistakenly" admitted

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Waitingontheworld

I was "mistakenly" admitted

Postby Waitingontheworld » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:41 am

So I checked my status checker and it said I was admitted...but I received an email that I was waitlisted. I contacted the school and I received a letter of apology and was told I was "probably" waitlisted. What an emotional rollercoaster...I am not blaming the school because apparently it was a technical error, however, would it be wrong to contact and express my disappointment to the school regarding this situation or should I just keep quiet about it?

PDaddy

Re: I was "mistakenly" admitted

Postby PDaddy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:50 am

Waitingontheworld wrote:So I checked my status checker and it said I was admitted...but I received an email that I was waitlisted. I contacted the school and I received a letter of apology and was told I was "probably" waitlisted. What an emotional rollercoaster...I am not blaming the school because apparently it was a technical error, however, would it be wrong to contact and express my disappointment to the school regarding this situation or should I just keep quiet about it?

I would have withdrawn one admission offer and THEN called the school and said they had to let me in b/c I had been duped by their error into withdrawing from a school I really liked. It's only a matter of time before a school gets sued over something like this.

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:51 am

PDaddy wrote:I would have withdrawn one admission offer and THEN called the school and said they had to let me in b/c I had been duped by their error into withdrawing from a school I really liked. It's only a matter of time before a school gets sued over something like this.

Riiiight

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:52 am

Wow...I'd fucking slash tires over something like that.

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:53 am

Status checkers are "unofficial" so unless the mistake comes in the mail, it doesn't matter.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:55 am

eandy wrote:Status checkers are "unofficial" so unless the mistake comes in the mail, it doesn't matter.

I agree with your point that they aren't "legally binding," but I wouldn't say they are "unofficial." Most of the status checker emails I got said "Official XXX Status Checker" or something along that vein.

And OP, that blows.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:00 am

just curious: under the mailings portion of your status checker, did it say what was e/mailed to you and when? If so, did it correspond to the waitlist info you received?

Waitingontheworld

Postby Waitingontheworld » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:08 am

unknownscholar wrote:just curious: under the mailings portion of your status checker, did it say what was e/mailed to you and when? If so, did it correspond to the waitlist info you received?

The mailings section only has the date I was emailed regarding my app. being "complete" in January; I was emailed the waitlist email the same day my status checker changed to 'admitted'. Under the requirements list they also added a first and second deposit but that's about it.

Waitingontheworld

Postby Waitingontheworld » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:09 am

romothesavior wrote:
eandy wrote:And OP, that blows.

Agreed.

unknownscholar

Postby unknownscholar » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:17 am

Waitingontheworld wrote:
unknownscholar wrote:just curious: under the mailings portion of your status checker, did it say what was e/mailed to you and when? If so, did it correspond to the waitlist info you received?

The mailings section only has the date I was emailed regarding my app. being "complete" in January; I was emailed the waitlist email the same day my status checker changed to 'admitted'. Under the requirements list they also added a first and second deposit but that's about it.

oh..hmm. Ok. It seems like the first/second deposit stuff probably showed up with whatever function they use to input the status of the application.

From my status checkers, it appears that the mailings are the only part of the status update that's input separately from the app status, which is why I asked. For example, I was waitlisted at Fordham on 1/11. And a few days later they input when my waitlist letter was mailed to me under mailings.

If someone had input that an admit letter was mailed on a given date, it could have been used as evidence toward the notion that the waitlist email was the error. But I guess they hadn't gotten that far.

Good Luck, though. That's gotta be frustrating.

NUMB3RFIFTY

Postby NUMB3RFIFTY » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:20 am

Cupidity wrote:Wow...I'd fucking slash tires over something like that.

For real.

I might express my disappointment and tell them you withdrew applications based on the status checker...

maybe a guilt trip will get you in lol

dood

Postby dood » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:18 am

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:52 am

:lol:

Out the school for more laughs.

Belili

Postby Belili » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:41 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
PDaddy wrote:I would have withdrawn one admission offer and THEN called the school and said they had to let me in b/c I had been duped by their error into withdrawing from a school I really liked. It's only a matter of time before a school gets sued over something like this.

Riiiight

Right. It has happened before, sometimes in a much more devastating manner. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/17/AR2010021704264.html

And it can be legally binding (not this case, but theoretically). A suit isn't out of the question.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:44 am

ITT: an unfortunate situation followed by quite a bit of silliness.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:24 am

Waitingontheworld

Postby Waitingontheworld » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:02 pm

So...I just received a letter of admission today SENT TO MY HOME ADDRESS. But the Dean just emailed me again explaining I am waitlisted and that she/he "fixed" the status. Except...the status checker now says I am waitlisted and I have a letter at home sitting in front of me saying CONGRATULATIONS ADMITTED STUDENT (which is dated the same day I was waitlisted). :|

chanchito

Postby chanchito » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:43 pm

ahh that is so tragic :( !!!
Was it your top choice?

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:30 am

Cupidity wrote:Wow...I'd fucking slash tires over something like that.

This life isn't for you.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:05 am

D. H2Oman wrote::lol:

Out the school for more laughs.

+1

BigA

Postby BigA » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:16 am

Waitingontheworld wrote:So...I just received a letter of admission today SENT TO MY HOME ADDRESS. But the Dean just emailed me again explaining I am waitlisted and that she/he "fixed" the status. Except...the status checker now says I am waitlisted and I have a letter at home sitting in front of me saying CONGRATULATIONS ADMITTED STUDENT (which is dated the same day I was waitlisted). :|

Wow. I'd love to see the email that you received from the dean. You could omit the name and school if you want

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:47 am

Let sibley take this one. She'll straighten those bastards out.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:00 am

If negotiations with the school don't produce what you want, there's always Above the Law...

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:10 am

eandy wrote:Status checkers are "unofficial" so unless the mistake comes in the mail, it doesn't matter.

edit: yea meant to also quote the one where OP said a letter was mailed too. my b
Last edited by pollaclc on Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:12 am

pollaclc wrote:

Waitingontheworld wrote:So I checked my status checker and it said I was admitted...but I received an email that I was waitlisted. I contacted the school and I received a letter of apology and was told I was "probably" waitlisted. What an emotional rollercoaster...I am not blaming the school because apparently it was a technical error, however, would it be wrong to contact and express my disappointment to the school regarding this situation or should I just keep quiet about it?

OP also got a letter in the mail saying they were admitted.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”