Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which school would you choose?

Harvard
67
35%
Yale
126
65%
 
Total votes: 193

RealTalk
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:55 pm

Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby RealTalk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:37 pm

First of all, let me be blunt I care only about prestige when it comes to picking a school. I know Yale has been number one in the USNWR rankings forever. However as we all know when it comes to impressing the random person in the street the name Harvard carries way more clout than Yale. Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world and a degree from it is worth more than a degree from any other institution of higher learning.

Yale may get more respect than Harvard in the legal community but the margin is so small its almost irrelevant. Its not like your job prospects are any better from graduating at the top of your class in Yale as opposed to Harvard.

I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.

Am I crazy or are there other prospective 1L's that also rank Harvard above Yale?

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby miamiman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:40 pm

cool, bro.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:41 pm

If the person you are talking to doesn't realize that Yale is a big deal, I wouldn't worry about impressing them.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby soullesswonder » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:41 pm

RealTalk wrote:First of all, let me be blunt I care only about prestige when it comes to picking a school. I know Yale has been number one in the USNWR rankings forever. However as we all know when it comes to impressing the random person in the street the name Harvard carries way more clout than Yale. Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world and a degree from it is worth more than a degree from any other institution of higher learning.

Yale may get more respect than Harvard in the legal community but the margin is so small its almost irrelevant. Its not like your job prospects are any better from graduating at the top of your class in Yale as opposed to Harvard.

I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.

Am I crazy or are there other prospective 1L's that also rank Harvard above Yale?


Harvard now has virtually the same grading system as Yale and Stanford, fyi

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby Unemployed » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:43 pm

RealTalk wrote:I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.


(reviews UGPA and LSAT score)

:roll:

User avatar
KibblesAndVick
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby KibblesAndVick » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:46 pm

I believe that anyone intelligent enough to be admitted to both Yale and Harvard would not think the way you do about the choice before them. They might still pick Harvard, but not for these reasons. As such, your point is a bit moot :(

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:46 pm

RealTalk wrote:First of all, let me be blunt I care only about prestige when it comes to picking a school. I know Yale has been number one in the USNWR rankings forever. However as we all know when it comes to impressing the random person in the street the name Harvard carries way more clout than Yale. Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world and a degree from it is worth more than a degree from any other institution of higher learning.

Yale may get more respect than Harvard in the legal community but the margin is so small its almost irrelevant. Its not like your job prospects are any better from graduating at the top of your class in Yale as opposed to Harvard.

I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.

Am I crazy or are there other prospective 1L's that also rank Harvard above Yale?


My AWESOME meter just went off the charts. Am I right?

User avatar
cardnal124
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:31 am

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby cardnal124 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:48 pm

Unemployed wrote:
RealTalk wrote:I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.


(reviews UGPA and LSAT score)

:roll:


+1

Also, Harvard may carry more clout than Yale for a random person on the street, but they are the ones giving you employment. Here's my analysis. Yale > Harvard for law academia, research, and clerkships. Harvard > Yale for politics (more potential connections with a bigger class) and BigLaw (although mostly due to self-selection).

qualster
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:42 am

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby qualster » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:49 pm

RealTalk wrote:First of all, let me be blunt I care only about prestige when it comes to picking a school. I know Yale has been number one in the USNWR rankings forever. However as we all know when it comes to impressing the random person in the street the name Harvard carries way more clout than Yale. Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world and a degree from it is worth more than a degree from any other institution of higher learning.

Yale may get more respect than Harvard in the legal community but the margin is so small its almost irrelevant. Its not like your job prospects are any better from graduating at the top of your class in Yale as opposed to Harvard.

I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.

Am I crazy or are there other prospective 1L's that also rank Harvard above Yale?


I would choose Harvard because every movie set at an elite school seems to use Harvard as the default. It's just the coolest. The Paper Chase, Legally Blonde, Soul Man, etc.

The fact that I would choose based almost solely on this basis indicates my level of intelligence. I obviously do not have the Harvard or Yale option.

I didn't apply to Harvard because I scored in the mid 160 range on the LSAT, but my "Why Harvard" essay would have been ridiculous if I'd decided to waste $80.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby prezidentv8 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:50 pm

RealTalk wrote:I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.


I can appreciate that you prefer Harvard to Yale. That is fine.

But - competitititititititive skewl iz stooooooopid.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby RVP11 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:50 pm

RealTalk wrote:First of all, let me be blunt I care only about prestige when it comes to picking a school. I know Yale has been number one in the USNWR rankings forever. However as we all know when it comes to impressing the random person in the street the name Harvard carries way more clout than Yale. Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world and a degree from it is worth more than a degree from any other institution of higher learning.

Yale may get more respect than Harvard in the legal community but the margin is so small its almost irrelevant. Its not like your job prospects are any better from graduating at the top of your class in Yale as opposed to Harvard.

I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.

Am I crazy or are there other prospective 1L's that also rank Harvard above Yale?


There are plenty of applicants who would prefer Harvard over Yale. But they presumably have that preference for, ya know...non-retarded reasons.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby 20121109 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:53 pm

Nope. You're not alone. For me, Harvard > Yale. But that's just because I have international career endeavors and I feel Harvard's international reputation beats Yale's. Of course, I'm not expecting to get into Yale, so the prospect of turning down Yale just seems easier...just because I probably would never have the opportunity. I think my chances at HLS are decent, but I doubt I'm awesome enough for Yale, lol...

APimpNamedSlickback
Posts: 1126
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:33 am

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby APimpNamedSlickback » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:59 pm

no, op.

i almost certainly would take hls over any other school. i find the sheer breadth of opportunities at cambridge pretty exciting relative to those anywhere else, including yale.
Last edited by APimpNamedSlickback on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby tomhobbes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:04 pm

RealTalk wrote:First of all, let me be blunt I care only about prestige when it comes to picking a school. I know Yale has been number one in the USNWR rankings forever. However as we all know when it comes to impressing the random person in the street the name Harvard carries way more clout than Yale. Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world and a degree from it is worth more than a degree from any other institution of higher learning.

Yale may get more respect than Harvard in the legal community but the margin is so small its almost irrelevant. Its not like your job prospects are any better from graduating at the top of your class in Yale as opposed to Harvard.

I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.

Am I crazy or are there other prospective 1L's that also rank Harvard above Yale?


Have you been accepted to both?

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:05 pm

Yes, you are nuts.

Then again there are quite a few schools I would choose over HLS.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby r6_philly » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:05 pm

I would take Y over H without a blink. It is worth to note that I came to this realization after about a year of research. It is hard to overcome the tought that H is the best university in the world, but to me and everything I want to achieve, Y is a much over choice. I believe in almost every aspect that I looked at, Y is better than H. Not saying that it is universally better, but better from my perspective, it is just a better fit for me. The one thing I do like about H more is the ability to cross register at MIT.

Well I don't know if I really have a fighting chance at H anyway so the point may be moot for me.

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby tomhobbes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:21 pm

I did a little research on your behalf OP and I discovered that you are not alone. At Harvard, the best law school in the nation, a slim majority of the students agree that Harvard Law School is better than Yale Law School: --LinkRemoved--

User avatar
Herb Watchfell
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby Herb Watchfell » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:36 pm

tomhobbes wrote:I did a little research on your behalf OP and I discovered that you are not alone. At Harvard, the best law school in the nation, a slim majority of the students agree that Harvard Law School is better than Yale Law School: --LinkRemoved--


Tyler Bowen is a rockstar.

RealTalk
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby RealTalk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:37 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
RealTalk wrote:First of all, let me be blunt I care only about prestige when it comes to picking a school. I know Yale has been number one in the USNWR rankings forever. However as we all know when it comes to impressing the random person in the street the name Harvard carries way more clout than Yale. Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world and a degree from it is worth more than a degree from any other institution of higher learning.

Yale may get more respect than Harvard in the legal community but the margin is so small its almost irrelevant. Its not like your job prospects are any better from graduating at the top of your class in Yale as opposed to Harvard.

I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.

Am I crazy or are there other prospective 1L's that also rank Harvard above Yale?


Have you been accepted to both?


not yet but just contemplating if it were to come true

so far my cycle has gone much better than my numbers would indicate primarily cause I'm so great when it comes to softs

biomedical engineering grad from Princeton w/ alot of accomplishments

I suspect Harvard as a likely admit while Yale is a long shot

User avatar
utexas2010
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:46 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby utexas2010 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:39 pm

RealTalk wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
RealTalk wrote:First of all, let me be blunt I care only about prestige when it comes to picking a school. I know Yale has been number one in the USNWR rankings forever. However as we all know when it comes to impressing the random person in the street the name Harvard carries way more clout than Yale. Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world and a degree from it is worth more than a degree from any other institution of higher learning.

Yale may get more respect than Harvard in the legal community but the margin is so small its almost irrelevant. Its not like your job prospects are any better from graduating at the top of your class in Yale as opposed to Harvard.

I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.

Am I crazy or are there other prospective 1L's that also rank Harvard above Yale?


Have you been accepted to both?


not yet but just contemplating if it were to come true

so far my cycle has gone much better than my numbers would indicate primarily cause I'm so great when it comes to softs

biomedical engineering grad from Princeton w/ alot of accomplishments

I suspect Harvard as a likely admit while Yale is a long shot


Sure there is not another "great" soft you are failing to mention?

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby rayiner » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:41 pm

tomhobbes wrote:
RealTalk wrote:First of all, let me be blunt I care only about prestige when it comes to picking a school. I know Yale has been number one in the USNWR rankings forever. However as we all know when it comes to impressing the random person in the street the name Harvard carries way more clout than Yale. Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world and a degree from it is worth more than a degree from any other institution of higher learning.

Yale may get more respect than Harvard in the legal community but the margin is so small its almost irrelevant. Its not like your job prospects are any better from graduating at the top of your class in Yale as opposed to Harvard.

I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.

Am I crazy or are there other prospective 1L's that also rank Harvard above Yale?


Have you been accepted to both?


Of course not. You think a Yalie would be douchey enough to post in a thread like this?

RealTalk
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby RealTalk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:41 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Nope. You're not alone. For me, Harvard > Yale. But that's just because I have international career endeavors and I feel Harvard's international reputation beats Yale's. Of course, I'm not expecting to get into Yale, so the prospect of turning down Yale just seems easier...just because I probably would never have the opportunity. I think my chances at HLS are decent, but I doubt I'm awesome enough for Yale, lol...


true

I know that saying I went to Harvard will impress anyone no matter where they are in the world. Its practically the only American university anyone outside this country knows.

RealTalk
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby RealTalk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:45 pm

rayiner wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:
RealTalk wrote:First of all, let me be blunt I care only about prestige when it comes to picking a school. I know Yale has been number one in the USNWR rankings forever. However as we all know when it comes to impressing the random person in the street the name Harvard carries way more clout than Yale. Harvard is universally recognized as the best university in the world and a degree from it is worth more than a degree from any other institution of higher learning.

Yale may get more respect than Harvard in the legal community but the margin is so small its almost irrelevant. Its not like your job prospects are any better from graduating at the top of your class in Yale as opposed to Harvard.

I'm also really competitive so the fact Yale doesn't give out grades is a turn-off. I'd much rather prove myself in a competitive grade driven environment such as Harvard rather than the laid back nature I've heard about from Yale. Also the fact Harvard has almost 3x the number of students as Yale w/o a drop-off in terms of quality (GPA and LSAT) makes the place even more competitive. Thus being top of your class in Harvard is way more impressive IMO than being top of your class at Yale.

Am I crazy or are there other prospective 1L's that also rank Harvard above Yale?


Have you been accepted to both?


Of course not. You think a Yalie would be douchey enough to post in a thread like this?


I'm all about prestige dude. I went to Princeton for undergrad simply because Harvard waitlisted me eventhough at that time Princeton was #1 in ranking while Harvard was #2.

Yale simply just doesn't have the lay prestige of Harvard.

Why is it so hard for people to believe that some people don't care about USNWR's rankings?

User avatar
Herb Watchfell
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby Herb Watchfell » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:47 pm

RealTalk wrote:not yet but . . . I suspect Harvard as a likely admit . . . .


3.3/164 FTL

RealTalk
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: Am I the only one that would easily pick HLS over YLS?

Postby RealTalk » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:48 pm

Herb Watchfell wrote:
RealTalk wrote:not yet but . . . I suspect Harvard as a likely admit . . . .


3.3/164 FTL


u gotta love affirmative action :lol:




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: KPUSN07 and 6 guests