Early graduation

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: Early graduation

Postby 09042014 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:13 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:I wouldn't pay a dime for a masters if I knew I was going to go to LS. such a waste.

Having a master's degree at age 22 sounds like the type of soft that Yale might find appealing.

I don't think it would hurt to graduate a semester or even a year early, but two years? All of a sudden, you don't have too much higher level education under your belt.

And adding onto the IP thread, this would be an opportunity to get the coursework to qualify as a patent attorney, if you want to go that route.

Good luck getting a masters in engineering without relevant undergrad coursework.

Masters degrees are easy and a waste of money.

Re: Early graduation

Postby r6_philly » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:34 pm

Master's degree exposes you to more and more in depth materials relevant to the subject. I wouldn't call it a waste of money necessarily. Maybe it is not as important to a future lawyer, but maybe it makes you a little more marketable later on if you practice in the field. Also you can find pretty decent assistantships I think at many universities that gives you full tuition credit plus a stipend, and the work load is usually light, you can enjoy yourself while incurring no debt. One practical advantage of a master's degree for me: it qualifies me for non-tenure teaching jobs in UG. I can teach part-time while in law school, which is probably the best part-time job I can think of.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”