Resume Help !!! Serious Responses Only. Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jimmyj

New

Resume Help !!! Serious Responses Only.

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:14 pm

I haven't had a "real job" in the last 3 years and I'm nervous what this will look like to ADCOM's. I am 32 (so I'm not just a young kid out of undergrad)...I have a Masters in Finance from Princeton. I have A LOT of investment income (hence, why I left my job 3 years ago and the reason I don't need to work). Could I put down that I have been mananging my investments (as well as friends and families investment portfolios)? I have basically made that my full-time job over the last 3 years and haven't done much else.

Please only respond to this with mature answers--and no, I am not a troll. I just need to figure out what to list this on my resume as. You also may wonder why I am headed toward a law degree? Truth is, I was burned out with my Finance career and want to pursue something else.
Last edited by jimmyj on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Non-Lawyer Lawyer

New

Re: Resume Help !!! Fellow Ivy Leaguers help me out...

Post by Non-Lawyer Lawyer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:19 pm

What a pompous assclown this guy is. I'd like to help you out, but since I'm not a "fellow Ivy Leaguer" I'm afraid I'll just have to give my advice to someone who "deigns" to listen...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:19 pm

You are never getting into a decent school with a gap of employment that bad. They are going to assume you are a lazy bum.

Try Ohio State, they'll are used to unemployment in that state.

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Just spin it that you've been working independently as an investment broker (or some other appropriate title). As long as you were legitimately doing this and having been screwing the pooch for the last 3 years I think you will be fine. And no, I'm not an Ivy leaguer so my advice might mean shit to you.

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:22 pm

You probably couldnt even get into Ohio State. You douche.
Desert Fox wrote:You are never getting into a decent school with a gap of employment that bad. They are going to assume you are a lazy bum.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

adameus

Silver

Re: Resume Help !!!

Post by adameus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:23 pm

I see you smartly realized the pompousness of your thread title and changed it. You might not be that bad after all.

Edit - after the last post, I'm not sure. Desert Fox is just acting like himself which is eerily familiar to the way any Ivy League douchebag would act although I'm pretty sure he didn't attend an Ivy for UG. Basically you're getting a lot of nasty responses because of the original title of the thred, if you want to get any useful information here, try to be a little less pretentious.
Last edited by adameus on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:25 pm

"Ass clown" thats really cute--did you learn phrases like that in the trailer park where you grew up?
Non-Lawyer Lawyer wrote:What a pompous assclown this guy is. I'd like to help you out, but since I'm not a "fellow Ivy Leaguer" I'm afraid I'll just have to give my advice to someone who "deigns" to listen...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:26 pm

jimmyj wrote:You probably couldnt even get into Ohio State. You douche.
Desert Fox wrote:You are never getting into a decent school with a gap of employment that bad. They are going to assume you are a lazy bum.

If you wanna whip it out lets whip it out, what is your LSAT?

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:27 pm

I'm not a CFA or anything like that...I mean, I don't own a company or anything like that, I just managed my own and family and friends investments.
adameus wrote:Just spin it that you've been working independently as an investment broker (or some other appropriate title). As long as you were legitimately doing this and having been screwing the pooch for the last 3 years I think you will be fine. And no, I'm not an Ivy leaguer so my advice might mean shit to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:28 pm

LSAC GPA: 3.91 (Physics Undergrad from UPenn)
LSAT: 179
Desert Fox wrote:

Non-Lawyer Lawyer

New

Post by Non-Lawyer Lawyer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:29 pm

My Fellow Americans:

The Original Poster ("OP") at first stated he wanted advice only from "fellow Ivy Leaguers." After being called out on how arrogant this statement was, he has reformed the title of his thread to make it more inclusive. Apparently he was afraid of insulting us proletarians who do not have an Ivy League education. I call on all fellow non-ivy leaguers to unite and either ignore this thread, or hijack it and give the OP a hard time.

Sir, this insult will not stand!

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Oh, snap!

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:31 pm

jimmyj wrote:LSAC GPA: 3.91 (Physics Undergrad from UPenn)
LSAT: 179
Desert Fox wrote:

*Looks at DF

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:32 pm

Is this all you have? You are a douche. Quit posting on my thread--you obviously have nothing to contribute here.
Non-Lawyer Lawyer wrote:My Fellow Americans:

The Original Poster ("OP") at first stated he wanted advice only from "fellow Ivy Leaguers." After being called out on how arrogant this statement was, he has reformed the title of his thread to make it more inclusive. Apparently he was afraid of insulting us proletarians who do not have an Ivy League education. I call on all fellow non-ivy leaguers to unite and either ignore this thread, or hijack it and give the OP a hard time.

Sir, this insult will not stand!

dudester

Bronze

Post by dudester » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:34 pm

To be honest, with those stats this should be your game plan:

1. Make a donation to HLS
2. Attend HLS
3. ???
4. Profit

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:36 pm

C'mon seriously....What do u think?
dudester wrote:To be honest, with those stats this should be your game plan:

1. Make a donation to HLS
2. Attend HLS
3. ???
4. Profit

adameus

Silver

Post by adameus » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:36 pm

jimmy j, don't ask for mature responses when you aren't going to be mature yourself. It seems pretty clear you've spent the last 3 years playing video games and eating large quantities of corn dogs and french fries. That's gonna hurt your application chances, but if your numbers are really as high as you say (I'm inclined to think they aren't), then you'll still likely get into some very good schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Non-Lawyer Lawyer

New

Post by Non-Lawyer Lawyer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:37 pm

Ma'am,

I know you have yet to be accepted, nevermind actually attend any classes in law school. Your Constitutional Law professor will hopefully teach you about the First Amendment and freedom of speech. I have every intention of exercising that right today. Too many brave Americans have spilled their blood for me to remain silent in the face of your offensive and uncouth statements. For such a wealthy and intelligent person, you'd think that you would have learned some manners...

Sincerely yours,

Non-Lawyer Lawyer

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:38 pm

I just sent you a PM...
adameus wrote:jimmy j, don't ask for mature responses when you aren't going to be mature yourself. It seems pretty clear you've spent the last 3 years playing video games and eating large quantities of corn dogs and french fries. That's gonna hurt your application chances, but if your numbers are really as high as you say (I'm inclined to think they aren't), then you'll still likely get into some very good schools.

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Blah, Blah, Blah...
Go screw yourself douche bag.
Non-Lawyer Lawyer wrote:Ma'am,

I know you have yet to be accepted, nevermind actually attend any classes in law school. Your Constitutional Law professor will hopefully teach you about the First Amendment and freedom of speech. I have every intention of exercising that right today. Too many brave Americans have spilled their blood for me to remain silent in the face of your offensive and uncouth statements. For such a wealthy and intelligent person, you'd think that you would have learned some manners...

Sincerely yours,

Non-Lawyer Lawyer

dextermorgan

Silver

Re: Resume Help !!! Serious Responses Only.

Post by dextermorgan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:40 pm

Anyone like cake?

What about babycake?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jimmyj

New

Post by jimmyj » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:41 pm

thats very creepy
dextermorgan wrote:Anyone like cake?

What about babycake?

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:42 pm

jimmyj wrote:I haven't had a "real job" in the last 3 years and I'm nervous what this will look like to ADCOM's. I am 32 (so I'm not just a young kid out of undergrad)...I have a Masters in Finance from Princeton. I have A LOT of investment income (hence, why I left my job 3 years ago and the reason I don't need to work). Could I put down that I have been mananging my investments (as well as friends and families investment portfolios)? I have basically made that my full-time job over the last 3 years and haven't done much else.

Please only respond to this with mature answers--and no, I am not a troll. I just need to figure out what to list this on my resume as. You also may wonder why I am headed toward a law degree? Truth is, I was burned out with my Finance career and want to pursue something else.
You have friends?

mugrad06

New

Post by mugrad06 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:44 pm

This def has made my afternoon less boring. Now I know why I come to this site, not only to ask questions but seriously guys you all are very amusing.

As to OP, it those really are your stats, you should be fine. I had just a year gap in my resume (only one app asked why and I simply put I was taking time off to focus on my MA and the comprehensive exam) Granted that doesn't work for you but you are apparently smart so you should be able to figure out how to spin it in a positive light I'm sure.
Last edited by mugrad06 on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mugrad06

New

Post by mugrad06 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:44 pm

jimmyj wrote:thats very creepy
dextermorgan wrote:Anyone like cake?

What about babycake?

indeed very creepy!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”