Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sassafraza

Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby sassafraza » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:43 am

as in the average person in the street would be impressed by the name. The top few are pretty obvious but how about the rest? Could some non T-14 schools actually have greater prestige because of the prestige of the institution in general and not the law school? It would help if you say what region you're coming from.

tadams86

Re: Which law schools have the best LAY prestige?

Postby tadams86 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:45 am

For instance, UCLA and USC have name recognition because of sports? I dont think that works in the legal community. Or because a school like Lewis & Clark are pretty much the only one in the region, therefore they dominate?

bees

Postby bees » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:48 am

first, this topic has been discussed far too often, so just do a forum search and you'll get lots of arguments about this

second, I was talking to one of my coworkers a few days ago and she was telling me about her family of lawyers (all had gone to Harvard) and she mentioned how a few of her friends were currently lawyers in big firms in CA and loved it. She thought for a minute about where they'd gone to schools and then said, "maybe Stanford, do they have a law school?"

So it's Yale, Harvard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and lay prestige doesn't matter

/thread

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:52 am

Already a pretty extensive thread about this somewhere. If you want to watch a conversation devolve into vitrol and spite, check it out. I maintain that if the criteria are 1) an every day guy on the street, or 2) a chick you're trying to pick up in a bar, then the list turns out significantly different than any ranking and is mostly meaningless (except to discuss while drinking). Also, this list is even more regional than the real list. For instance, in SoCal, HYS probably stay in the same spots. USC gets more love than deserved, and Columbia and NYU (because there is a mystical view of the East) do well. Half the t14 don't even make the top 100.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:24 am

HYS, Columbia, NYU, Northwestern, Duke, Penn, Georgetown, Berkeley, Cornell, Vanderbilt, UCLA, USC, Notre Dame, Tulane, BYU, Wake, Boston College, William & Mary

Fark-o-vision

Postby Fark-o-vision » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:40 am

PDaddy wrote:HYS, Columbia, NYU, Northwestern, Duke, [strike]Penn[/strike], Georgetown, Berkeley, Cornell, [strike]Vanderbilt[/strike], UCLA, USC, Notre Dame, [strike]Tulane[/strike], [strike]BYU[/strike], [strike]Wake[/strike], [strike]Boston[/strike] College, [strike]William & Mary[/strike]

Fixed.

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:49 am

PDaddy wrote:HYS, Columbia, NYU, [strike]Northwestern[/strike], [strike]Duke[/strike], Penn, [strike]Georgetown[/strike], Berkeley, Cornell, Vanderbilt, UCLA, [strike]USC[/strike], [strike]Notre Dame, Tulane, BYU, Wake, Boston College, William & Mary[/strike]

SimplyC26

Postby SimplyC26 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:35 am

SandyC877 wrote:
PDaddy wrote:HYS, Columbia, NYU, [strike]Northwestern[/strike], [strike]Duke[/strike], Penn, [strike]Georgetown[/strike], Berkeley, Cornell, Vanderbilt, UCLA, [strike]USC[/strike], [strike]Notre Dame, Tulane, BYU, Wake, Boston College, William & Mary[/strike]

Are you kidding? Duke has ridiculous lay prestige. It is almost universally recognized as the premier institution in the south.

badfish

Postby badfish » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:42 am

Harvard>Yale/Stanford>Columbia>Georgetown/Cornell/Berkeley/Duke/Northwestern>the rest

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:46 am

Princeton

SimplyC26

Postby SimplyC26 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:47 am

badfish wrote:Harvard>Yale/Stanford>Columbia>Georgetown/Cornell/Berkeley/Duke/Northwestern>the rest

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I think Michigan, UVA and the University of Chicago have the least amount of lay prestige of the top 14.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:43 am

for a T3 Tulane has some pretty good lay prestige

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:50 am

Fark-o-vision wrote:
PDaddy wrote:HYS, Columbia, NYU, Northwestern, Duke, [strike]Penn[/strike], Georgetown, Berkeley, Cornell, [strike]Vanderbilt[/strike], UCLA, USC, Notre Dame, [strike]Tulane[/strike], [strike]BYU[/strike], [strike]Wake[/strike], [strike]Boston[/strike] College, [strike]William & Mary[/strike]

Fixed.

Penn and Vandy definitely have serious lay prestige. Maybe you live in a cave?

Oh and viewtopic.php?f=1&t=95307&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:48 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Princeton

TITCR

Seriously, a really lay person will believe that one of the top schools is undoubtedly Princeton, and I have been asked hey did you apply to Princeton? :lol:

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:55 am

Harvard and Yale are the only ones that have consistent lay prestige.

rockchalk86

Postby rockchalk86 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:09 pm

This topic has been discussed to death, but what are we really discussing? I think the key word here is LAY. Who cares what some random dude on the street thinks about your school. But to women at a bar, that is a different story. But is this really useful? The only time your school is going to be your leading aphrodisiac is when you are in school. When you are a lawyer, your profession (or firm, or govt position, or save the world cause) will be the major aphrodisiac.

When you are in school, you are going to bars with women who live in the city or town your school is in, so they will know how good your school is. It does not matter how far your LAY prestige reaches because it only has to reach so far.

I think the ratio of men to women talking about LAY prestige is pretty telling as to what we are REALLY talking about.

kazu

Postby kazu » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:12 pm

bees wrote:first, this topic has been discussed far too often, so just do a forum search and you'll get lots of arguments about this

bees wrote:Yale, Harvard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and lay prestige doesn't matter
/thread

TITCR

Honestly, besides Yale and Harvard I think the general public has a very vague perception (if anything at all) about the rest.

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:14 pm

SimplyC26 wrote:
badfish wrote:Harvard>Yale/Stanford>Columbia>Georgetown/Cornell/Berkeley/Duke/Northwestern>the rest

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I think Michigan, UVA and the University of Chicago have the least amount of lay prestige of the top 14.

Yea UVA and Michigan have little to no lay prestige

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:21 pm

Tulane is not aT3. It is T1. It's ranked 45...

Sangiovese

Postby Sangiovese » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:55 pm

Lay prestige isn't always meaningless. Take a future career in politics or even an elected legal position (DA, Judge, etc..) The average Joe who evaluates candidates for these positions will assign a value to each of them based entirely on lay prestige.

Judge Candidate #1 went to HLS. Average Joe is going to immediately think, "JC1 must be really smart and probably knows everything there is to know about law."

Judge Candidate #2 went to Chicago. Average Joe thinks to himself, "Chicago? Guess JC2 wasn't smart enough to get into Harvard or Yale or Cornell..."

I think lay prestige is near the bottom of the list of considerations when choosing a school, but I believe it is incorrect to state that it is meaningless.

lebob

Postby lebob » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:59 pm

so in general:
out here in orange country, southern california:

notre dame (catholics), boston, nyu (hipsters/wannabe cool kids glorify this place), byu (mormons) = people have "heard" of these schools, but no prestige assigned

vanderbilt (what is this), northwestern (i recently learned this is in chicago), georgetown (only know because a family friend goes here), wake (still don't know what this is), william and mary (still dont know what this is) = people don't even know these schools exist.

vaguely heard of penn and columbia toward the latter years of high school...and the early years of college. if you're smart here, you go to stanford or berkeley/mit/caltech (or HYP), and if you're average you go to the UCs, and if you played around in school you go to a community college and transfer later. That's about all there's to it, nothing else out here in so cal.

lastly: how many threads already exist with this exact same topic????

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:01 pm

OneSixtySix

Postby OneSixtySix » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:45 pm

I live in Boston and some people cant wrap their head around why I didnt apply to suffolk.

Suffolk has incredible lay prestige in Massachusetts/Rhode Island. I reckon you could find a large amount of people who think " BC/Suffolk/BU/Northeastern" or at least that Suffolk would be a school equivalent to what the law school world considers a T1.

In terms of overall lay prestige, I think big name schools with strong sports programs play out well. Penn State and Kansas sound alot better than other schools in their range.

I'm not from the south, but nobody I met would consider UVA to be on par/above UCLA, USC, Gtown, Cornell, Duke, etc.

Before looking at law schools, I had no idea Northwestern was an elite law school, but that was due to regional limitations more than anything.

KMaine

Postby KMaine » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:55 pm

Was actually thinking that the capitalization was meant to distinguish this thread from the other one and that this one was going to be about what school was the best for helping one to get laid. Oh well, I have read this all before.

qualster

What degree will have the best "get me laid" prestige?

Postby qualster » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:25 pm

More importantly, what school has more "get me laid" prestige? Ha ha ha ha! I mean, am I right people? Heyo!!! But seriously, folks.
Last edited by qualster on Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”