When should you set up your LSDAS stuff for applications? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PrayingforHYS

Bronze

When should you set up your LSDAS stuff for applications?

Post by PrayingforHYS » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:04 pm

Hey, I'm a junior in UG and i'll be taking the LSAT in June and I was wondering when the best time to set up all of the LSAC/LSDAS stuff on lsac.org would be.

I've had an account on LSAC.org since the summer, but what's the deal with CRS and LSDAS? They recommend that you register for that stuff at least 4-6 weeks before applying b/c of how long it takes to process things, but I'm not completely clear on what that means..

Anyway, should Juniors now wait until they've received their LSAT score in late June before paying for the reports/whatever for the LSDAS stuff? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to me paying the fee now and then just sending stuff to LSAC as it comes in (like lsat score, Letters of Rec, etc.)?

I just find it ironic that I can name a t14's 25-75 off of the top of my head and yet I'm not quite sure how exactly LSAC app stuff works. I browsed their site and read all about the CRS and LSDAS stuff, but I still don't quite understand it (RC is my least favorite LSAT section lol)

Anyway, I'd appreciate advice/help, and I'm sure that other Juniors in UG wondering the same thing would appreciate help as well.

Thanks.

NewtonLied

New

Re: When should you set up your LSDAS stuff for applications?

Post by NewtonLied » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:12 pm

Just register for it whenever you feel like it and have the cash. You need to be registered before you send them your transcripts or Letters of Rec. Until you're ready to do that, it doesn't matter.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:17 pm

If you want to get a headstart on the application process, you could always register for LSDAS now and starting sending in transcripts and LORs. That way, you can also find out your LSAC GPA and not have any last-minute surprises there. If you sign up for CRS, law schools will start sending you e-mail and mail, especially if you have a good LSAT.

PrayingforHYS

Bronze

Post by PrayingforHYS » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:20 pm

NewtonLied wrote:Just register for it whenever you feel like it and have the cash. You need to be registered before you send them your transcripts or Letters of Rec. Until you're ready to do that, it doesn't matter.
Oh ok, so I could just register now if I so chose, and then they'd automatically get my LSAT scores, and all I'd have to do is send them my transcript/Letters of Rec etc. over the summer and I'd be set to apply?
im_blue wrote:If you want to get a headstart on the application process, you could always register for LSDAS now and starting sending in transcripts and LORs. That way, you can also find out your LSAC GPA and not have any last-minute surprises there. If you sign up for CRS, law schools will start sending you e-mail and mail, especially if you have a good LSAT.
so registering for CRS is separate from LSDAS? I'm not sure that I understand the distinction (if there is one), but it seems like one would want to fill in the CRS before taking the LSAT so that schools (like Duke with the Priority Track) could send them fee waivers and stuff?

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:43 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:
NewtonLied wrote:Just register for it whenever you feel like it and have the cash. You need to be registered before you send them your transcripts or Letters of Rec. Until you're ready to do that, it doesn't matter.
Oh ok, so I could just register now if I so chose, and then they'd automatically get my LSAT scores, and all I'd have to do is send them my transcript/Letters of Rec etc. over the summer and I'd be set to apply?
im_blue wrote:If you want to get a headstart on the application process, you could always register for LSDAS now and starting sending in transcripts and LORs. That way, you can also find out your LSAC GPA and not have any last-minute surprises there. If you sign up for CRS, law schools will start sending you e-mail and mail, especially if you have a good LSAT.
so registering for CRS is separate from LSDAS? I'm not sure that I understand the distinction (if there is one), but it seems like one would want to fill in the CRS before taking the LSAT so that schools (like Duke with the Priority Track) could send them fee waivers and stuff?
Yes, you sign up for CRS optionally after you've registered for LSDAS, which gives law schools permission to see your LSAT score and self-reported GPA, and send you fee waivers / mail / e-mail based on that. You can sign up for CRS now, but you won't get fee waivers until law schools can see your LSAT score.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PrayingforHYS

Bronze

Post by PrayingforHYS » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:52 pm

im_blue wrote:
PrayingforHYS wrote:
Yes, you sign up for CRS optionally after you've registered for LSDAS, which gives law schools permission to see your LSAT score and self-reported GPA, and send you fee waivers / mail / e-mail based on that. You can sign up for CRS now, but you won't get fee waivers until law schools can see your LSAT score.
So you sign up for CRS after you've registered for LSDAS? So then it probably would behoove the juniors in UG to sign up for both LSDAS and CRS before they take the LSAT, right?

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:58 pm

PrayingforHYS wrote:
im_blue wrote:
PrayingforHYS wrote:
So you sign up for CRS after you've registered for LSDAS? So then it probably would behoove the juniors in UG to sign up for both LSDAS and CRS before they take the LSAT, right?

If you know you're going to law school, just sign up now.

Just prepare to see an endless stream of emails from Detroit Mercy.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:40 pm

Panther7 wrote:
Just prepare to see an endless stream of emails from Detroit Mercy.
I have never gotten one :cry:

I guess it is ONU country over here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”