Howe big a deal are these typos?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
brooklynpatriot1

Howe big a deal are these typos?

Postby brooklynpatriot1 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:14 pm

Hey, I reread my applications and I noticed typos on two of them.

On one I had a random letter "a" under a question that was not applicable to me. The space should have been simply left blank.
I'm currently under review at this school. Is this worth contacting them for? Will it take my application out of committee thus delaying my decision. If it helps I'm a strong applicant at this school but not auto admit.

At the second school I'm more worried. Under employment data I wrote something that looked like this:

Dates employed

08/08/07 and i didn't include an end date

09/09/07 to and then I wrote nothing after the to

06/06/06 and again I didn't include an end date

I sent them an email notifying them of the error and I wrote a lengthy and thoughtful LOCI in a separate letter.
If it helps I'm just below the median gpa but well above the 75th percentile LSAT.

To what extent will these typos effect my likelihood of admissions? These are both T-14 schools. I feel really stupid since I've been rejected at my first choice, probably the same will happen for my second and these are my third and fourth choice schools.

JordynAsh

Re: Howe big a deal are these typos?

Postby JordynAsh » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:25 pm

First of all, it's "big of a deal", not "big a deal". I'd recommend sending the schools a short explanation of the error with the completed info. I don't think it's necessarily as disastrous as you seem to be afraid it is.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:40 pm

Don't address the first typo. It would look like you're overtly compulsive if you were to try to explain why you accidentally dropped an "a" into a blank field.

Address the second typo/negligence. You should just send the necessary dates with an apology for the error. That's it.

Good luck.

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:18 pm

bump for how much this will effect admissions at school two

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:30 pm

For school one, no problem. For school two, is the information correct on your resume? If so, I wouldn't worry about it. They're going to use that more than the limited details provided on the actual app. A short note with a correction asking them to refer to your resume should fix it.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:31 pm

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:35 pm

Note very big a deal at all.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”