UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby cougarlive » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:27 pm

Calling all Epstein Program applicants: I wanted to start a thread on this to centralize the seemingly little that is known by TLS posters (including myself) about the Epstein Program.

So, I'm hoping that this thread becomes a meeting place for current and future Epstein Program applicants.

Anyone else apply?

Anyone know when Program applicants start hearing back?

According to another TLSer who got in last year, for the 2009 cycle they received about 600 applicants and admitted around 45 people. Who knows what this year is going to look like.


If you applied to the Epstein Program and care to share--post your complete date. Hopefully we will all start hearing back soon. Good luck.

P.S. I've been complete since 11/22. Here's to hoping!

zoey15
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:12 am

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby zoey15 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:30 pm

when dean schwartz called to admit me to the law school in december, he said the admissions committee forwarded my epstein application to the epstein people, who start reviewing those this month, and start sending out decisions in february-march.

that is all i know :)

User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby cougarlive » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:34 pm

zoey15 wrote:when dean schwartz called to admit me to the law school in december, he said the admissions committee forwarded my epstein application to the epstein people, who start reviewing those this month, and start sending out decisions in february-march.

that is all i know :)



Awesome! Congrats on your acceptance to UCLA. I didn't know that they admit people into the school, then the program. Some people on TLS had said they did it all at once, while others claimed it was an entirely different process (going so far as to say that if UCLA rejects you and the Program admits you, then you are in no matter what at UCLA Law). Anyway, hoping more people post to shed light on the process.

User avatar
calgal17
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:08 am

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby calgal17 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:37 pm

I applied as well. Complete 12/4. I would love to get into the program, but first I need to be admitted to ucla period! Thanks for getting the thread started. Hopefully others will have more insight.

amichig
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby amichig » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:38 pm

I've been complete since 11/8. I have very-borderline numbers, but have pretty great, relevant work experience - here's to hoping this actually makes a difference for a program like this.

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby msch0i » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:12 pm

Applied 11/5, complete 11/13. I was waitlisted through the general admissions process, and an email from an admissions officer said that if I'm not admitted into the Epstein program, I'll remain on the waitlist, which implies that if you're in the program, you're into the school.

Good luck to everyone! The people I've asked regarding the program received their responses in late March. But they were all admits...so who knows when the bulk of the decisions will come!

peanutbutter
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:55 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby peanutbutter » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Seems like maybe they haven't yet gotten around to the Epstein pile. I'm complete 11/12/2009, and haven't heard anything.

Maybe if it's true that you can be admitted to Epstein, but rejected from regular admissions, and still be admitted to the school, then some of us could have been rejected by the office of admissions, pending the review of our applications by the Epstein program--which is why they haven't yet notified us. Maybe, just maybe?

User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby cougarlive » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:38 pm

msch0i wrote:Applied 11/5, complete 11/13. I was waitlisted through the general admissions process, and an email from an admissions officer said that if I'm not admitted into the Epstein program, I'll remain on the waitlist, which implies that if you're in the program, you're into the school.

Good luck to everyone! The people I've asked regarding the program received their responses in late March. But they were all admits...so who knows when the bulk of the decisions will come!



Did you apply ED (Can't remember the ED deadline)? If so, I can see them using the wait list heavily for Program applicants instead of having the awkwardness of having reg. admissions reject someone only to have the Program decide they want them in their program--and subsequently getting "unrejected" (if in fact the program can unreject applicants).

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby msch0i » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:54 pm

cougarlive wrote:
msch0i wrote:Applied 11/5, complete 11/13. I was waitlisted through the general admissions process, and an email from an admissions officer said that if I'm not admitted into the Epstein program, I'll remain on the waitlist, which implies that if you're in the program, you're into the school.

Good luck to everyone! The people I've asked regarding the program received their responses in late March. But they were all admits...so who knows when the bulk of the decisions will come!



Did you apply ED (Can't remember the ED deadline)? If so, I can see them using the wait list heavily for Program applicants instead of having the awkwardness of having reg. admissions reject someone only to have the Program decide they want them in their program--and subsequently getting "unrejected" (if in fact the program can unreject applicants).


Yes, I did apply ED. However, they weren't aware that I'd be a program applicant when they gave me my decision (12/2). I submitted the program application separately (long story) in early January. But that may be true, just probably not for my case.

soupermann
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:32 am

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby soupermann » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:01 pm

I applied last year and was wait listed for the PILP program (they keep an informal wait list in March) and rejected from general admission. I'm reapplying this year with a higher LSAT score and more work experience. So I hope for a different outcome this year :)

I was told last year that the general admissions and PILP program have separate review processes. So as you know, you could get admitted into one and rejected at the other. But my impression was that an acceptance into PILP definitely does not guarantee acceptance into general admissions. I think the PILP review committee can accept a candidate into the program and make a recommendation to general admiss that can in turn inform their decision.

User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby cougarlive » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:07 pm

soupermann wrote:I applied last year and was wait listed for the PILP program (they keep an informal wait list in March) and rejected from general admission. I'm reapplying this year with a higher LSAT score and more work experience. So I hope for a different outcome this year :)

I was told last year that the general admissions and PILP program have separate review processes. So as you know, you could get admitted into one and rejected at the other. But my impression was that an acceptance into PILP definitely does not guarantee acceptance into general admissions. I think the PILP review committee can accept a candidate into the program and make a recommendation to general admiss that can in turn inform their decision.



Also new info I hadn't heard. How did they let you know you were wait listed? Were you rejected from gen. admission before you were wait listed for the Program? The plot thickens...

Good luck this year!

User avatar
michstudent10
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:49 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby michstudent10 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:10 pm

Complete 11/3 and still no word...

Thanks for making this thread though, I'll be checking back often to see if the decisions have started rolling out yet. Good luck everyone!! :)

soupermann
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 1:32 am

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby soupermann » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:18 pm

cougarlive wrote:
soupermann wrote:I applied last year and was wait listed for the PILP program (they keep an informal wait list in March) and rejected from general admission. I'm reapplying this year with a higher LSAT score and more work experience. So I hope for a different outcome this year :)

I was told last year that the general admissions and PILP program have separate review processes. So as you know, you could get admitted into one and rejected at the other. But my impression was that an acceptance into PILP definitely does not guarantee acceptance into general admissions. I think the PILP review committee can accept a candidate into the program and make a recommendation to general admiss that can in turn inform their decision.



Also new info I hadn't heard. How did they let you know you were wait listed? Were you rejected from gen. admission before you were wait listed for the Program? The plot thickens...

Good luck this year!


Thanks! Last year, I was notified of my PILP "hold list" status via email in May (I initiated the inquiry). It seemed like a big chunk of the PILP apps last year were reviewed in March-April. Gen. Admission was still reviewing my file since I had taken the Feb '09 LSAT. When gen. admission notified me of my rejection via snail mail sometime in late-May it was over.

User avatar
roundabout
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:59 am

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby roundabout » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:56 pm

soupermann wrote:
cougarlive wrote:
soupermann wrote:I applied last year and was wait listed for the PILP program (they keep an informal wait list in March) and rejected from general admission. I'm reapplying this year with a higher LSAT score and more work experience. So I hope for a different outcome this year :)

I was told last year that the general admissions and PILP program have separate review processes. So as you know, you could get admitted into one and rejected at the other. But my impression was that an acceptance into PILP definitely does not guarantee acceptance into general admissions. I think the PILP review committee can accept a candidate into the program and make a recommendation to general admiss that can in turn inform their decision.



Also new info I hadn't heard. How did they let you know you were wait listed? Were you rejected from gen. admission before you were wait listed for the Program? The plot thickens...

Good luck this year!


Thanks! Last year, I was notified of my PILP "hold list" status via email in May (I initiated the inquiry). It seemed like a big chunk of the PILP apps last year were reviewed in March-April. Gen. Admission was still reviewing my file since I had taken the Feb '09 LSAT. When gen. admission notified me of my rejection via snail mail sometime in late-May it was over.


Edit: D'oh, messed up that post. Thanks for this info. I can't believe we might have to wait until MAY to hear! I take it there aren't any Epstein folks that have heard anything yet?

CAHopeful
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby CAHopeful » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:32 am

soupermann wrote:I applied last year and was wait listed for the PILP program (they keep an informal wait list in March) and rejected from general admission. I'm reapplying this year with a higher LSAT score and more work experience. So I hope for a different outcome this year :)

I was told last year that the general admissions and PILP program have separate review processes. So as you know, you could get admitted into one and rejected at the other. But my impression was that an acceptance into PILP definitely does not guarantee acceptance into general admissions. I think the PILP review committee can accept a candidate into the program and make a recommendation to general admiss that can in turn inform their decision.


Wow. So do you know what would have happened if you were admitted into the Program after being rejected from general admission? Does the PILP adcomm then recommend that general admissions retract the rejection? Sounds complicated. Yikes.

CAHopeful
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby CAHopeful » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:35 am

Out of curiosity, what kind of public interest experience does everyone have? Full-time public service work experience, volunteer experience, etc. I just wonder what the applicant pool looks like this year. I've been working at a non-profit for about a year and a half and have a lot of volunteer experience before that, but not as much after since it's sucked up the majority of my time.

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby MURPH » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:02 pm

My service has been three years of military work, 12 years working as a nurse and volunteering with the ACLU once per week for one year. I don't think they will consider me based on my professional work experience and minimal volunteer experience but I threw the application out there anyway.

User avatar
roundabout
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:59 am

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby roundabout » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:40 pm

MURPH wrote:My service has been three years of military work, 12 years working as a nurse and volunteering with the ACLU once per week for one year. I don't think they will consider me based on my professional work experience and minimal volunteer experience but I threw the application out there anyway.


Murph, I might be remembering this wrong, but didn't you say elsewhere you've already been accepted to UCLA? So would that mean we could get accepted soon and find out about Epstein later?

I have three years of public interest work experience and a graduate degree in a related field, to answer the question. I love the idea of a structured public interest-minded community- fingers crossed for us all!

CAHopeful
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby CAHopeful » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:50 pm

Yes, I love the idea of the structured program as well. Especially since I've heard that PI students often feel alienated/isolated from the majority of their classmates who have tunnel vision toward BigLaw, etc.

I did speak with a couple of Epstein profs. who told me that the selection process for the Program is very much focused on the service background of the applicant rather than the traditional application elements (they leave those for the general adcomm). But I'm still confused as to whether or not you could be rejected from UCLA Law but then accepted into the Program, which would in turn possibly admit you to the general School of Law?

User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby cougarlive » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:25 pm

CAHopeful wrote:Yes, I love the idea of the structured program as well. Especially since I've heard that PI students often feel alienated/isolated from the majority of their classmates who have tunnel vision toward BigLaw, etc.

I did speak with a couple of Epstein profs. who told me that the selection process for the Program is very much focused on the service background of the applicant rather than the traditional application elements (they leave those for the general adcomm). But I'm still confused as to whether or not you could be rejected from UCLA Law but then accepted into the Program, which would in turn possibly admit you to the general School of Law?



I hope the bolded is true. If that's the case, then I think I have a legitimate shot of getting admitted into the program.

Now, if I could only get into UCLA...

As for your question about whether getting into the program guarantees you're in at UCLA, or vice versa--no one really knows. I've had people on TLS claim to know definitively, but after private messaging them finding out that my guess was as good as theirs.

I hope, that this thread will help us and future Program applicants figure out the method to the madness.

My guess so far is, that the general app and program app are reviewed around the same time (i.e. now). I would imagine that general admissions leaves X number of spots open for Program applicants--and the Program waits till feb. 1 (once all the applications are in) to start reviewing and making decisions.

It's only a matter of time before people start posting on here with their decisions...

CAHopeful
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby CAHopeful » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:40 pm

cougarlive wrote:
CAHopeful wrote:

I hope the bolded is true. If that's the case, then I think I have a legitimate shot of getting admitted into the program.

Now, if I could only get into UCLA...

As for your question about whether getting into the program guarantees you're in at UCLA, or vice versa--no one really knows. I've had people on TLS claim to know definitively, but after private messaging them finding out that my guess was as good as theirs.

I hope, that this thread will help us and future Program applicants figure out the method to the madness.

My guess so far is, that the general app and program app are reviewed around the same time (i.e. now). I would imagine that general admissions leaves X number of spots open for Program applicants--and the Program waits till feb. 1 (once all the applications are in) to start reviewing and making decisions.

It's only a matter of time before people start posting on here with their decisions...


Agreed. I think I have a decent shot at Epstein with my public service background. I'm hoping that pushes me over the edge in regular admissions. Don't really know. I'm just hoping for the best because I think the Program sounds so incredible.

User avatar
roundabout
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:59 am

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby roundabout » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:01 pm

I take it no one's heard anything?

CAHopeful
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby CAHopeful » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:41 pm

Nope. Unless you count the financial aid reminder e-mail I just received from them. :)

User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby cougarlive » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:43 pm

Nothing here. I think the program committee was pretty busy with organizing the Public Interest Conference they just had (25th Annual Southern California Public Interest Career Day). Hoping we hear soon...

User avatar
cougarlive
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm

Re: UCLA David J. Epstein Program Applicants

Postby cougarlive » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:04 pm

Just found a thread from last years cycle 2008-09. Looks like people didn't really start hearing back until March/April. Looks like most of us still have a ways to go before we hear back.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=50558




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Applesauce11, Bing [Bot], chargers21, KFCfamousbowlz and 7 guests