How much do "hard" majors help? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Marisa5252

New

How much do "hard" majors help?

Post by Marisa5252 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:13 pm

I've got a 3.51 from a top public university. I majored in chemistry and physics. What's the feeling on whether this gives my gpa a little bit of a boost? I scored a 173 on the LSAT so for the schools I'm hoping to get into (waiting to hear from upenn, columbia, nyu, gtown...already got into uva) I know my gpa is rather low...

Pankun

New

Re: How much do "hard" majors help?

Post by Pankun » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:21 pm

Everybody on here says that it doesn't matter and that science/math/engineering are as difficult as any other major. Based on the stats you see on LSN, I'm tempted to believe that the actual major doesn't matter but I don't really know for sure. Good luck.

EDIT: In fact, many schools have an formula that uses GPA and LSAT to arrive at an "index." I'm guess they use the index to rank and prioritize certain applicants. So for schools like that, I'm sure major doesn't play as big a role as schools that don't use a formula

WhiskeyGuy

Bronze

Post by WhiskeyGuy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:25 pm

It seems a hard major matters only to a couple of the highest ranked schools.

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Seems like math/sci/engineering majors appear to get cut more GPA slack than others when their LSAT is very good. But not a lot more.

driveshaft

New

Post by driveshaft » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:33 pm

Totally guessing here, but I've always imagined that schools do care, but only in the context of someone with a similar GPA. I think they'd take a 3.51 chem/physics major over a 3.51 poli sci major.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:23 pm

Marisa5252 wrote:I've got a 3.51 from a top public university. I majored in chemistry and physics. What's the feeling on whether this gives my gpa a little bit of a boost? I scored a 173 on the LSAT so for the schools I'm hoping to get into (waiting to hear from upenn, columbia, nyu, gtown...already got into uva) I know my gpa is rather low...
Unfortunately, I don't think the difficulty of major matters very much at all. I majored in bio/chem, which is probably not as bad as chem/physics, but at least we don't have it as bad as some engineering majors. At a lot of places as 3.5 in engineering is equivalent to a 3.8 in other fields. But schools do not seem to see it this way. I would like to think it has to do with administrative ease (and issues of equity) rather than concern over US News rankings, but I suspect the latter might be a large factor.

Congrats on UVA. and good luck on the others.

Marisa5252

New

Post by Marisa5252 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:30 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. Sounds like it probably won't help me but here's hopin'! Guess I'll just have to wait and see...

EricM

New

Post by EricM » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:06 pm

tinman wrote:I majored in bio/chem, which is probably not as bad as chem/physics, but at least we don't have it as bad as some engineering majors.
What eng. are you talking about specifically?

Kiersten1985

Silver

Post by Kiersten1985 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:11 pm

I think the general consensus is that law schools like eng. majors. One could perhaps consider being an eng. major a weak soft. If you have a 4.0 in eng., it might be stronger.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ScaredWorkedBored

Bronze

Post by ScaredWorkedBored » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:16 pm

3.51 in hard sciences is better than 3.51 in political science. It's not as good as 3.8 in political science.

tesoro

Bronze

Post by tesoro » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:20 pm

ScaredWorkedBored wrote:3.51 in hard sciences is better than 3.51 in political science. It's not as good as 3.8 in political science.
+1. Adcomm panel of GULC, GWU and Mason at work was unanimous: engineers / "hard" majors get more life with a high LSAT score than do poli sci majors. If 10/230 applicants with a 173/3.51 are to get accepted at columbia, i've been led to believe that 7 of them will likely be "hard" major students.

This is the only boost I'd expect you to see. I'm a fellow "hard major" applicant and this has been my experience so far.

BearDownChicago

New

Post by BearDownChicago » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:20 pm

I know Dean Pless at UIUC is big on difficult majors. He said he would prefer someone with a lower gpa but a hard major (engineering/accounting/math) than a higher gpa but cupcake major (advertising/history/communications)

edit: obviously within reason
Last edited by BearDownChicago on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:21 pm

I'd bet it puts you over the top at a couple places you've got borderline numbers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:24 pm

Prolly helped me, how much iuno.

JP001

New

Post by JP001 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:29 pm

As someone who reviews law applications - it really doesn't matter that much.

Marisa5252

New

Post by Marisa5252 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:31 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:I'd bet it puts you over the top at a couple places you've got borderline numbers.

This is what I'm hoping. I'm like RIGHT on the line for UPENN (my #1 choice) if I look at LSN - maybe there are few more of those lovely little green dots around me than the red ones but it's very very close.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:33 pm

Marisa5252 wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:I'd bet it puts you over the top at a couple places you've got borderline numbers.

This is what I'm hoping. I'm like RIGHT on the line for UPENN (my #1 choice) if I look at LSN - maybe there are few more of those lovely little green dots around me than the red ones but it's very very close.
Man, Philly rocks. Hope you get in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Marisa5252

New

Post by Marisa5252 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:40 pm

prezidentv8 wrote:
Marisa5252 wrote:

Philadelphia does rock. I actually work in a lab at UPENN

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Marisa5252 wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
Marisa5252 wrote:

Nice. I spent a summer out there, and it was great. Arguably one of the most underrated big cities in the country imo.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:42 pm

Marisa5252 wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
Marisa5252 wrote:

I'm glad you actually call it UPENN like I'm used to. It seems no one else on this board says that.

Marisa5252

New

Post by Marisa5252 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:44 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
Marisa5252 wrote:
prezidentv8 wrote:
I'm glad you actually call it UPENN like I'm used to. It seems no one else on this board says that.
People who call it Penn are TTT

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:45 pm

Marisa5252 wrote: People who call it Penn are TTT
Hahaha. <3 Good luck getting in.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:46 pm

tesoro wrote:
ScaredWorkedBored wrote:3.51 in hard sciences is better than 3.51 in political science. It's not as good as 3.8 in political science.
+1. Adcomm panel of GULC, GWU and Mason at work was unanimous: engineers / "hard" majors get more life with a high LSAT score than do poli sci majors. If 10/230 applicants with a 173/3.51 are to get accepted at columbia, i've been led to believe that 7 of them will likely be "hard" major students.

This is the only boost I'd expect you to see. I'm a fellow "hard major" applicant and this has been my experience so far.
So, can these people who believe their major was "hard" rank the majors? I'm constantly befuddled by the notion that science majors think their major was harder than liberal arts students, and I kinda take umbrage with it. However, I'd like to see this hierarchy spelled out specifically.

Marisa5252

New

Post by Marisa5252 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:47 pm

shadowfrost000 wrote:
Marisa5252 wrote: People who call it Penn are TTT
Hahaha. <3 Good luck getting in.
Hahaha seriously. Thanks!

Marisa5252

New

Post by Marisa5252 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:50 pm

kwhitegocubs wrote:
tesoro wrote:

So, can these people who believe their major was "hard" rank the majors? I'm constantly befuddled by the notion that science majors think their major was harder than liberal arts students, and I kinda take umbrage with it. However, I'd like to see this hierarchy spelled out specifically.

"Hard" doesn't translate to "difficult" here. "Hard" describes the major as having a basis in the "hard" sciences vs. the "soft" sciences. Hard sciences = bio/chem/physics and in this case engineering. Soft sciences = polysci, sociology, anthro, etc. Soft sciences also equals "social sciences," whereas hard sciences also equals "physical sciences." No one is judging your english major.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”