Haiti Quake Please Help! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Iuvo

New

Re: Haiti Quake Please Help!

Post by Iuvo » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:57 am

I will have a few months free at the end of March. Does anyone know of any volunteer organizations I can join?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:01 am

Just saw this.

Gave $10 to Yéle Haiti
Gave $35 to UNICEF (through Google homepage & Google Checkout) (http://www.google.com/relief/haitiearthquake/)

Also, the makers of a few iPhone apps decided to donate their profits from the rest of January to Doctors Without Borders, so I decided to buy Twittelator Pro.
--LinkRemoved-- & http://www.stone.com/pr/bigstonephone/H ... lator.html

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:37 am

adrib wrote:donated previously, but did $30 for poster thepvc just now. what you're doing in the Peace Corps is more awesome than $30 worth, buddy, but i'm pretty broke ;)
Woah! Awesome. Thanks adrib!

The additional $30 adds up, and certainly helps make a difference!

APimpNamedSlickback

Silver

Post by APimpNamedSlickback » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:13 am

fwiw, i just donated $50. the cold econ major in me realizes that at the margins, this will do almost no good. however, a clip i just saw of a doctor telling some weeping parents that he's going to have to amputate both of their kid's legs to get him out of a building was just overwhelmingly sad.

Sashimi

New

Post by Sashimi » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:24 am

$10 to Yéle

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:48 am

Iuvo wrote:I will have a few months free at the end of March. Does anyone know of any volunteer organizations I can join?
They just said on CNN, that they have some info on that on: http://www.cnn.com/impact
It looks like they have a section called "TAKE ACTION: VOLUNTEER" ... I would think that the opportunities will grow and become clearer in time, so maybe by the time you are free, there will be more info.

Sakura3210

Bronze

Post by Sakura3210 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:58 am

Gave $25 to Red Cross, $25 to UNICEF, and $25 to Doctors Without Borders. :)

badfish

Silver

Post by badfish » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:09 pm

$20 to the american red cross through lexis.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:23 pm

Wow, this thread jumped like 5 pages since I last looked at it. Impressive stuff guys.

Remember to spread the word, especially to people who you know can afford to spare a little and might just need a little extra motivation to act on good conscience (like a link or texting instructions).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cflames7

New

Post by cflames7 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:31 pm

$100 from me to Red Cross Canada.

This is such a terrible disaster. My heart is aching for these people.
My thoughts, hopes, and prayers are with everyone who was affected by this tragedy. :cry:

angioletto

Bronze

Post by angioletto » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:32 pm

My son emptied his piggy bank today and donated $6.72 to the Red Cross.

FloridaGirl

Silver

Post by FloridaGirl » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:56 pm

angioletto wrote:My son emptied his piggy bank today and donated $6.72 to the Red Cross.

That's incredibly sweet. <3

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Anderson Cooper of CNN

video coverage
http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video ... h.cnn.html

10,000 US troops to help stabilize Haiti

--LinkRemoved--
Troopers from the US Army's 82nd Airborne division were the first of an estimated 1,000 due to pour into the country over the course of the day, and swiftly moved to secure the airport and get the backlog of aid flowing.
The United States is deploying as many as 10,000 troops to Haiti over the next few days, although many will remain on an armada of naval vessels gathering offshore, led by the aircraft carrier USS Vinson, the Pentagon said.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Not that Gawker is a reliable news source, but you might want to stay away fro Yele.

http://gawker.com/5449478/more-on-why-d ... -right-now

Even if everything is on the straight and narrow, and economies of scale aren't an issue, I doubt that his organization has the logistical capabilities of the IRC, etc. Maybe in a month when reconstruction is an issue his org would be fine, but I doubt its ability to provide emergency relief.

mayosmith

Bronze

Post by mayosmith » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:41 pm

$110 to Red Cross via web and text.

GodSpeed

Bronze

Post by GodSpeed » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:42 pm

My parents donated whatever they wanted to. Since my money = money they give me, it seems a bit disingenuous to donate money. I donated my 2000 lexis points instead (which is about $35).

--LinkRemoved--

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Oblomov wrote:Not that Gawker is a reliable news source, but you might want to stay away fro Yele.

Even if everything is on the straight and narrow, and economies of scale aren't an issue, I doubt that his organization has the logistical capabilities of the IRC, etc. Maybe in a month when reconstruction is an issue his org would be fine, but I doubt its ability to provide emergency relief.
Posted the same thing (from msn) on the previous page.

Surprisingly, ignoring/overlooking words of caution in this context doesn't bother me all that much. I'll take donative zeal over inaction.

Keep it up, folks.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:14 pm

MrOrange wrote:
Oblomov wrote:Not that Gawker is a reliable news source, but you might want to stay away fro Yele.

Posted the same thing (from msn) on the previous page.

Surprisingly, ignoring/overlooking words of caution in this context doesn't bother me all that much. I'll take donative zeal over inaction.
Having worked in development and disaster relief, this is bad advice. While it may perform the act that is at the core notion of charity, it may not help in a utilitarian sense. If you looking to help wouldn't you want that help to be maximized? If you're hard-headed and wouldn't give to the Dw/oB or IRC, but would to Yele, then I suppose it's a good thing to do but to whom does this apply?

Relief on this scale requires organizational and logistical capacity of which few organizations are capable (one of the reasons the US military often gets involved). It isn't unheard of for smaller organizations to hand their funding over to more capable organizations. If the best that you're going to do is the same, but potentially worse, why not give to a capable organization? Hearts dominating the mind have botched many a noble effort.
Last edited by Oblomov on Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mallard

Silver

Post by mallard » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but HLS recommended this article on where to donate: http://lifehacker.com/5447987/how-and-w ... void-scams.

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:19 pm

Oblomov wrote:Having worked in development and disaster relief, this is bad advice. While it may perform the act that is at the core notion of charity, it may not help in a utilitarian sense. If you looking to help wouldn't you want that help to be maximized? If you're hard-headed and wouldn't give to the Dw/oB or IRC, but would to Yele, then I suppose it's a good thing to do but to whom does this apply?

Relief on this scale requires organizational and logistical capacity of which few organizations are capable (one of the reasons the US military often gets involved). It isn't unheard of for smaller organizations to hand their funding over to more capable organizations. If the best that you're going to do is the same, but potentially worse, why not give to a capable organization? Hearts dominating the mind have botched many a noble effort.
::sigh::

Just trying to not be petulant when it comes to donation-advice.

Obviously I wouldn't have posted the anti-Yele article last night if I thought giving to that organization is a good idea.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:23 pm

mallard wrote:Not sure if this has been posted yet, but HLS recommended this article on where to donate: http://lifehacker.com/5447987/how-and-w ... void-scams.
Good article, but it recommends donating to Yele, which previous posters in this thread have noted valid concerns about. It's probably better for people to keep donating to more prominent organizations such as the Clinton Foundation, UNICEF, Doctors Without Borders, and the Red Cross.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:01 pm

Updated. TLS has given well in excess of $4,000. You should all be insanely proud of yourselves and each other!

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:07 pm

How much would an airlift of beer cost? I'm having one now and I'm thinking it has nutrients, is hydrating and let's face it, those people could use a drink.

If I ever become wealthy and cease being lazy, I'm going to start Beer Without Borders. Bet you'd get lots of people donating (cash only, these people do not need skunked Bud but something like Oatmeal Stout) who never would otherwise. What would be more welcomed than beer falling from the sky? I mean, other than medical supplies.

*Before anyone complains, I attribute this stroke of genius to SBL. He said $10 doesn't buy shit and my first thought was "You can get a good six-pack for ten bucks!"

holborn

Bronze

Post by holborn » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:12 pm

$25 to Red Cross through itunes.

etudiantededroit

New

Post by etudiantededroit » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:32 pm

I just gave a combination of cash (to Partners in Health and YeleHaiti) and Lexis points (Red Cross). Does anyone know if we can do the same for Westlaw?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”