Shocking rejections Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lonagan

Bronze

Re: Shocking rejections

Post by Lonagan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:28 am

rookhawk wrote:Here, in a chilling tale, I got more than rejected by a tier-14. I had my application discarded so it would not be considered. (no, no character and fitness issue or scandalous reasoning)

I'd be less vague if I wasn't under review at other schools right now and don't wish to provide so much detail I identify myself.

The things about me that may get me into a tier-1 at some schools are the very things that could get my application canned at others. How's that for "soft factors"?

In 2005 I was denied entry to a grad program at a regional nobody-ever-heard-of-em business school and accepted at a top-25. Thus is life. Ironically, I later became an adjunct for a term at the very place that denied me only 18 months earlier.

I guess its because I get up every morning and piss excellence. Some schools don't like that so much. :)
If I were an adcomm I would start looking for people who have gone to business school and taught as an adjunct at a tier 3 business school since 2005.

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:23 am

gocubs2010 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
gocubs2010 wrote:I got rejected from Notre Dame out of high school. I had like a 3.7, and a 1480 on the old SAT. I went to catholic school, I'm from Indiana, and my letters of recommendation were from my teachers that went to Notre Dame. One was written by my physics teacher who wrote around 50 letters for people to go to notre dame through the years, and I was the first one to ever be rejected. I would have gone there for sure if I got in. They never did give me an answer as to why. The worst part of it is I knew people in my graduating class with 2.5 gpa's and 1000 sat scores who got in because of their family connections.
ND is very overrated. Where did you end up?
overrated, perhaps. but it was my childhood dream and lifelong aspiration, and the reason I took all those fucking ap classes and tests. of course I graduated from high school in 1998, so I long since got over it. i went to butler. smaller private school in indianapolis.
you go to cathedral HS?

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:38 am

Apparently my school was too good for that Newsweek list and had to be listed in a separate article. I am not sure if they were being facetious or not. Good times.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:46 pm

My IB magnet highschool is T50 on that list, yet I can assure you, aside from the IB program, that place was a terrible, inner-city school with gangs, guns, drugs, and kids wanting to be rappers instead of going to class. I am not being facetious about that last part.

rookhawk

Bronze

Post by rookhawk » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:23 am

-
Last edited by rookhawk on Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:50 am

I dont know how weird it is to post this but since yall dont know me i guess its not. Got a 2320 and rejected straight out from kenyon lol, if you've even ever heard of this middle of nowhere ohio school, quite funny.
Sigh, I just pine from them from the much better school I go to lol

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:04 am

Kenyon is one of, or the, top liberal arts school in the nation.

I'm not suprised.

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:08 am

Cupidity wrote:Kenyon is one of, or the, top liberal arts school in the nation.

I'm not suprised.

... says someone who goes to Kenyon? sorry, i didn't mean to insult anyone who goes there. im sure its great.
its just, statistics-wise the school i attend now is ranked much higher/much harder to get into

i'd be 99.99% sure the admissions issue was a matriculation issue

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:18 am

rookhawk wrote: And thanks for cracking me up the rest of you. (there is some wit left on TLS after all) No, I didn't write a PS about my Mussolini fan club
No problem. :mrgreen:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ApexChaser

Bronze

Post by ApexChaser » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:21 am

I'm still waiting on law schools, and would not be shocked at rejections. I'm shocked when I get in. Haha.

But HS to UG... 3.3 unweighted, APs, sports, orchestra, etc, 1470 sat and above 2100 (forget exact number) sat II. I got rejected by CalPoly SLO. To this day, I cannot explain it. There wasn't even a written statement that I could flubbed on. That was my safety school.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:22 am

In highschool, I had a 3.6 GPA and a 2100 (1400 math english breakdown) on my SAT. Multiple AP classes, upper level math... I got WL/rejected by UW.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:25 am

fonzerelli wrote:Several years ago I visited a friend in LA and we went to a bar in Hollywood. I then noticed Rebecca Gayheart with a relatively small entourage of 3-4 eccentric LA hipster types. I walked over to her and said, "oh hey, I really admire your work." (note: I don't know any of her work aside from old noxema commercials) We briefly chatted and she did NOT accept my offer to buy her a drink. This was a shocking rejection because I went so far as to say I admired her shitty work. She sucks.
Rebecca Grayheart is an actress? She works? She does something besides wash her face on tv? GTFOOH! I thought they cast her as Dylan's dumb girlfriend just so they could blow her up.

dajja15

New

Post by dajja15 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:06 pm

ApexChaser wrote:I'm still waiting on law schools, and would not be shocked at rejections. I'm shocked when I get in. Haha.

But HS to UG... 3.3 unweighted, APs, sports, orchestra, etc, 1470 sat and above 2100 (forget exact number) sat II. I got rejected by CalPoly SLO. To this day, I cannot explain it. There wasn't even a written statement that I could flubbed on. That was my safety school.

Well let me just point out I go to Cal Poly so this response is pretty biased, but I don't see why you were surprised. Your GPA is well below the average,Cal Poly ranked as the #1 Public Master's University in the Western United States for the 15th consecutive year, especially if it was in engineering, many of the programs are top in the nation. The acceptance rate is %36.

Your lucky you didn't go here anyway, grade deflation is a bitch. Most classes give out one A or A-, and 80% C's.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hsprophet

Bronze

Post by hsprophet » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:26 pm

rookhawk wrote: Thanks for your vote of support, Lonagan. And thanks for cracking me up the rest of you. (there is some wit left on TLS after all) No, I didn't write a PS about my Mussolini fan club or my tireless battle to end women's suffrage, but keep guessing.

After this cycle is over I'll share the full details and hopefully I'll also be in at a tier-1 as well. My life has taken a road less travelled and the result is that what I represent inspires many and disgusts others. Academia is either a Pillar of Excellence or a Tower of Fear. Nothing new though, my whole life I've found that people are divided into three categories: 30% people who want me to fail, 10% people who want to help me succeed and 60% indifferent. It's always the 30% that is the most frightening because they have so little to contribute in this world that they'd rather try to destroy and disenfranchise in the name of elitism instead of actually produce something.

I wish Ayn Rand would have written me a letter of recommendation. Who is Rookhawk Galt?
My Guess - you are famous. Or infamous, for that matter. You're trying to gain acceptance for reasons other than your name.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:04 pm

rookhawk wrote:
knickfan wrote:
rookhawk wrote:Here, in a chilling tale, I got more than rejected by a tier-14. I had my application discarded so it would not be considered. (no, no character and fitness issue or scandalous reasoning)

I'd be less vague if I wasn't under review at other schools right now and don't wish to provide so much detail I identify myself.

The things about me that may get me into a tier-1 at some schools are the very things that could get my application canned at others. How's that for "soft factors"?

In 2005 I was denied entry to a grad program at a regional nobody-ever-heard-of-em business school and accepted at a top-25. Thus is life. Ironically, I later became an adjunct for a term at the very place that denied me only 18 months earlier.

I guess its because I get up every morning and piss excellence. Some schools don't like that so much. :)
WOW, THATS CRAZY! I'M VERY CURIOUS
[

Thanks for your vote of support, Lonagan. And thanks for cracking me up the rest of you. (there is some wit left on TLS after all) No, I didn't write a PS about my Mussolini fan club or my tireless battle to end women's suffrage, but keep guessing.

After this cycle is over I'll share the full details and hopefully I'll also be in at a tier-1 as well. My life has taken a road less travelled and the result is that what I represent inspires many and disgusts others. Academia is either a Pillar of Excellence or a Tower of Fear. Nothing new though, my whole life I've found that people are divided into three categories: 30% people who want me to fail, 10% people who want to help me succeed and 60% indifferent. It's always the 30% that is the most frightening because they have so little to contribute in this world that they'd rather try to destroy and disenfranchise in the name of elitism instead of actually produce something.

I wish Ayn Rand would have written me a letter of recommendation. Who is Rookhawk Galt?
Interest piqued...but I think his avatar (more specifically, the finger therein) points to the real answer. :D

serotonin

New

Post by serotonin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:10 pm

This cycle I was rejected from Tulane law. My numbers: 3.8 at Berkeley/164 (yeah, not so great, but for Tulane...), but I was accepted to Minnesota, Notre Dame, Fordham, and Cardozo thus far.

Needless to say, I was surprised by my rejection from Tulane. My LORs, PS, and resume were all pretty strong, I think.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
rookhawk wrote:
knickfan wrote:

WOW, THATS CRAZY! I'M VERY CURIOUS
[

Thanks for your vote of support, Lonagan. And thanks for cracking me up the rest of you. (there is some wit left on TLS after all) No, I didn't write a PS about my Mussolini fan club or my tireless battle to end women's suffrage, but keep guessing.

Interest piqued...but I think his avatar (more specifically, the finger therein) points to the real answer. :D
ahh, makes sense now. That would be a controversial PS.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ApexChaser

Bronze

Post by ApexChaser » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:28 am

dajja15 wrote:
ApexChaser wrote:I'm still waiting on law schools, and would not be shocked at rejections. I'm shocked when I get in. Haha.

Well let me just point out I go to Cal Poly so this response is pretty biased, but I don't see why you were surprised. Your GPA is well below the average,Cal Poly ranked as the #1 Public Master's University in the Western United States for the 15th consecutive year, especially if it was in engineering, many of the programs are top in the nation. The acceptance rate is %36.

Your lucky you didn't go here anyway, grade deflation is a bitch. Most classes give out one A or A-, and 80% C's.
Friends with lower scores got in and they were surprised at my rejection. I was surprised as the average sat was around 1200 when I applied. Yes, the average weighted gpa was ~3.7, but I had a weighted 3.4something, which is not too far off the mark imo. And while it means nothing, my hs was a usnwr top 30 known to slo.

Grades weren't exactly easy for me either at Cal. But if I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:13 am

Watch your mouth about Cal Poly. I loved that school. :)

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:16 am

dajja15 wrote:

I went to Cal Poly about 8 yrs ago but never realized there was grade deflation. Now I have an excuse for leaving there after three years with a 2.9. Ha. That and that I didn't study or go to class.

Battle

New

Post by Battle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:27 am

3.00 GPA (psychobiology) and a 153 LSAT.

Tremendous softs to include a Military Officer, Top notch evaluation reports, and LORS. Competitive internships during college to boot.

I blame my low LSAT on the grounds that I returned home from Iraq the month before I took it. I crammed and paid the price. With that said, I thought I would be accepted to Hofstra at the very least. NEGATIVE.

Now I really need to reconsider my goals. I am not certain that I will be accepted to some of my other schools.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:38 am

Battle wrote:3.00 GPA (psychobiology) and a 153 LSAT.

Tremendous softs to include a Military Officer, Top notch evaluation reports, and LORS. Competitive internships during college to boot.

I blame my low LSAT on the grounds that I returned home from Iraq the month before I took it. I crammed and paid the price. With that said, I thought I would be accepted to Hofstra at the very least. NEGATIVE.

Now I really need to reconsider my goals. I am not certain that I will be accepted to some of my other schools.
Count your blessings.

BigFatPanda

Bronze

Post by BigFatPanda » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:40 am

Unless you've won the Medal of Honor (In that case, you're probably on another plane of existence), you're not getting anywhere decent with that score. Have u consider going part time to Rutgers, Wiedner, Catholic U and transfer to full time? If not, get down and do 100 LSAT practice tests.

Battle

New

Post by Battle » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:41 am

I suppose your right. My timeline was incredibly stressed and my window to leave the military is very small. I won't get this opportunity for a couple of years.....chaps my ass, that's all.

ApexChaser

Bronze

Post by ApexChaser » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:08 pm

king3780 wrote:Watch your mouth about Cal Poly. I loved that school. :)
Nothing to watch. Haha. I agree, I think Calpoly is a strong school too. :P

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”